Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 02:50 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,354,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
You say that as if you cant do what you want and make your own decisions while married. A functional marriage allows for that. If it doesnt, then your spouse picker needs fixing.
There must not be very many 'functional' marriages around. I've dealt with strangers (whom I never met) who tried to have me answer to them.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:18 PM

1,153 posts, read 568,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm against childless people being single and in practice disinterested in relationships. Well, okay, I personally don't mind if men drop out. Makes my life easier.

Lol, this "heathen" doesn't write for any Catholic websites.

Why are you against other peoples' personal choices and desires that don't necessarily impact on you? That seems controlling. I'm not surprised the other poster thinks you must be coming from a religious background, because that's what religions try to do... control people.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:36 PM

This whole thread has given me some good laughs, mainly because of how presumptuous, entitled & narcissistic OP's attitude is.

Maybe he should go to therapy? It could well be that most women don't want to be in a relationship with someone as paternalistic & controlling as you, who thinks he knows what is best for womankind. If you shed that attitude you might have more luck in dating.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Sounds an awful lot like "enforced monogamy" as espoused by that great philosopher Jordan B Peterson

Old 07-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Oh, and I am a currently single woman who would rather be in a relationship. However, there's no way I would ever date anyone as misogynistic & controlling as this. Wouldn't care whatever else he had to offer, someone who espouses beliefs like this is not going to make a good partner. I daresay that is why you are not having success in dating and the solution is to look at your arrogant attitude, and your beliefs around entitlement and the opposite sex. A therapist can help. An online forum cannot.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:46 AM

972 posts, read 543,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
You say that as if you cant do what you want and make your own decisions while married. A functional marriage allows for that. If it doesnt, then your spouse picker needs fixing.
Does a functional marriage allow for a person who has become disillusioned with his or her life circumstances to make a sudden, adventurous change? For example, maybe one day you realize that your career, commute, and conventional house no longer fulfill you. If you're single, you can make that decision to give your notice at work, visit your ancestral homeland for a month or two to decompress, take a training course to get into a trade or start your own business, and change your housing situation. Married people can't do that, and the presence of a family doesn't automatically transcend the desire for that kind of flexibility in one's life.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:43 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,890,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Does a functional marriage allow for a person who has become disillusioned with his or her life circumstances to make a sudden, adventurous change? For example, maybe one day you realize that your career, commute, and conventional house no longer fulfill you. If you're single, you can make that decision to give your notice at work, visit your ancestral homeland for a month or two to decompress, take a training course to get into a trade or start your own business, and change your housing situation. Married people can't do that, and the presence of a family doesn't automatically transcend the desire for that kind of flexibility in one's life.
That type of person probably wouldn't make a good spouse. My guess is that most people grow out of that by their thirties. My point behind this thread assumes much of the population is built for and can, if properly paired and under some pressure to stay together, make serious relationships work.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:35 PM

8,698 posts, read 3,883,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Perhaps it wouldn’t allow for the same level of flexibility being single would - but it also contributes to happiness in other ways (provided it is, in fact, a functional and happy marriage). One has to weigh both sides - not just one.

In addition, if it’s a healthy and happy relationship, it has no bearing on career, commute, housing, etc. - all of those factors could absolutely still be changed (especially career). If you suddenly decide one day you aren’t happy about the country you live, where you work, your house - or anything, there are a lot more problems in personal judgement (than just being married) when you made all of those choices (including to be married).

Old 07-14-2019, 06:48 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Why are you against other peoples' personal choices and desires that don't necessarily impact on you?
How dare anyone not conform to OP’s proposed new world order and instead go for what they want in life? Everybody should desire exactly the same things and forego their own goals and ambitions so they can pair off and perpetuate this vile species until the Earth breaks under the weight of us all and the damage we do. What a glorious future.

He’ll have us declared unmutual and put our names down for reprogramming if we’re not careful.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,394,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

Then there's the truism that singles who are trying and failing to enter into relationships are less happy than singles who aren't trying, and middle age is when many single women stop putting much effort into coupling up.
If someone is single not-by-choice, then it stands to reason they might not be very happy. True for both men and women. If they are single by choice then they are probably happy that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships