Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 02:20 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times

Advertisements

You know there is no such data. Sometimes women do it for social experiments or per instructions from dating coaches or gurus (duty dating). I've read first-hand accounts where it led to healthy relationships. I don't think I am talking about something very rare. It's not that different from foodie calls, which unfortunately aren't rare. A man probably won't know he is on that type of date; knowing likely would poison the atmosphere, I believe.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-05-2019 at 02:32 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 02:50 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You know there is no such data. Sometimes women do it for social experiments or per instructions from dating coaches or gurus (duty dating). I've read first-hand accounts where it led to healthy relationships. I don't think I am talking about something very rare. It's not that different from foodie calls, which unfortunately aren't rare. A man probably won't know he is on that type of date; knowing likely would poison the atmosphere, I believe.
“There is no such data” and “It’s not something very rare” are contradictory.

“Kill the atmosphere,” oh good, you DO get it. What you miss is that it would likely kill the atmosphere for BOTH parties.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:07 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Sorry, world, I can't log off and get ready to sleep without arguing more with a stranger on the Internet....

Any first date likely will fail to lead to another date. That's a statistical fact. I fully believe that any date based largely on obligation has worse odds, but what if for example the man turns out to be better-looking than his pictures or have a sexy voice? Plus, alcohol has a way of sparking attraction, and nobody I know of encourages dates when the judgment is already "ugly." If you want to give up, give up, but don't imply things for you personally or someone in a similar situation are impossible.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-05-2019 at 03:24 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 08:42 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Sorry, world, I can't log off and get ready to sleep without arguing more with a stranger on the Internet....

Any first date likely will fail to lead to another date. That's a statistical fact. I fully believe that any date based largely on obligation has worse odds, but what if for example the man turns out to be better-looking than his pictures or have a sexy voice? Plus, alcohol has a way of sparking attraction, and nobody I know of encourages dates when the judgment is already "ugly." If you want to give up, give up, but don't imply things for you personally or someone in a similar situation are impossible.
You are the one who should give up. I’m amazed at your level of nonsense (and time/effort you have wasted in this very lengthy thread which I doubt anyone will read in its entirety).

Marriage doesn’t ‘make’ anyone happy; you have to do that for yourself first (whether you choose to get married or not, male or female) and you clearly aren’t happy.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:

Seriously, alcohol?
Lol!!!

This whole post makes me laugh. You have a better chance at just moving to a better area

Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
It is forceful. That's how change happens. Being nice doesn't go very far. (Most women value pushiness over niceness, just not directed at them.) The end result ought to be satisfying to people, anyway, for the dream of being happily married is very common.
And that's also how people get overthrown. As for "being nice", please, no one's talking about that. And your "pushiness" has not gotten you far with women, it seems.

And let's be real, if you finally get a woman who is interested, would you still be pushing your 'crusade'?

Old 07-05-2019, 09:30 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
When goodheathen is King of America, everyone will have to sign up for mandatory dating sites and singles mixers, like the draft, and there will be a 2 drink minimum at every event, and citizens will be required to refrain from expressing opinions on their level of happiness or satisfaction with life--the government will tell you if you are happy or not.

Oh, perhaps require unmarried women to wear a certain uniform or badge, so that everyone can shame them. Or you could just have wife auctions, so that the "marketplace" for breeding cattle would function smoothly.

Will there be punitive action for every woman who fails to be married before she hits menopause? A mandatory number of children she is required to produce for the State? Will we also have a State sponsored religion and State ordered jobs and all read the same books and eat the same gruel, there, comrade?

Have you published your manifesto yet? I mean you can hardly lead a movement without a manifesto.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:44 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Colleges could very nearly force students to date, by repeatedly having nights where campuses shut down early (cable and Internet included) except for mixers. Do we want people marrying very young again, though?

It would be nice if dating companies went directly to universities to recruit older students to join. Rather strange if they haven't tried that.

I'm just working on turning the tide so that people start making effort anew and in turn boost the struggling dating scene.

Edit: I think single women who have mostly been sitting it out for years might not realize how bad it has gotten. Paying to go on dates is quietly growing in popularity, so yes, people can be cajoled into dating, that method being horrendous and undermining any respectable end goal. Probably many single men who aren't having much success would be happy if a significant number of women joined the scene, and I think very few people would object to such an increase. I don't know if American government would ever step in to cajole, but in some other countries financial incentives have been created for citizens to have children, which is a closely linked subject (e.g., women who don't try to date probably won't end up having kids). This isn't a minor issue, and it's happening in many parts of the world.
Colleges don't need to make any effort to force students to date. All the normally developed people, male and female, have figured out how dating works in junior high and high school. They are getting all the action they want by the time they're in college, because the environment they are in provides them with a smorgasbord of options and opportunities. No need for dating sites to recruit membership at college campuses. You don't sell ice to an Eskimo.

Struggling dating scene, party of one, your table is ready.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:47 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
When goodheathen is King of America, everyone will have to sign up for mandatory dating sites and singles mixers, like the draft, and there will be a 2 drink minimum at every event, and citizens will be required to refrain from expressing opinions on their level of happiness or satisfaction with life--the government will tell you if you are happy or not.

Oh, perhaps require unmarried women to wear a certain uniform or badge, so that everyone can shame them. Or you could just have wife auctions, so that the "marketplace" for breeding cattle would function smoothly.

Will there be punitive action for every woman who fails to be married before she hits menopause? A mandatory number of children she is required to produce for the State? Will we also have a State sponsored religion and State ordered jobs and all read the same books and eat the same gruel, there, comrade?

Have you published your manifesto yet? I mean you can hardly lead a movement without a manifesto.
Or we Women of the Anti-Movement could lower our standards, wouldn't that be easier?

At the Marketplace we will stand in line in bikinis and be given an actual score from Real People (men) and then we will actually know what our standard should be! Here's where it gets even easier for those of us with Paradox of Choice issues from constantly inflating our egos to think we even have choices:

The New Standard for each will be any Real Person who asks us to join in a Mixer. The Real People (men) wont have numbers (Duh!) because we don't get a choice, we have been overwhelmed and inflated, we haven't earned Decision Empowerment. Thus ALL of the Real People are our standard, and the Real People will decide which one we are appropriate for.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
Really? It happens sometimes? Okay, Mr. Sagan, let’s see your extraordinary evidence. Who dates out of a sense of social obligation? How many people? What is the prevalence of people who actually undertake that scenario becoming involved in successful relationships as a result? Back up your extraordinary claim to my “clouded mind.”
You'd be surprised. I hear about dates resulting from 'prodding' of others. "Just give him a chance" type of crap. And of course, there are a lot of failed relationships, probably as a result of this and other forms of "being set up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.