Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 04:14 AM

1,593 posts, read 778,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by th_05 View Post
Hmmm now you have me doubting. Is it not possible then that a girl can just see a guy as a good friend? Is it always flirting?

Sure they can see you as a good friend. Some will even flirt with you...flirting's fun, I was once seen by a girl as a "safe" target to practice her flirting on, I think on some level because the idea of someone like me going out with someone like her out was ridiculous. That may not be the situation here, but it's possible she just likes to flirt. Other women will flirt with you because they're in the service sector, and flirting with guys can be a good way to make more money if you're a waitress, a bartender...or maybe even a physical trainer?

All moot, though. You've fallen for her, which means you won't be seeing her as a good friend, you'll be seeing her as the object of your affections. She's unavailable, which means you'll be caught in her orbit hoping for a chance. Don't do it. The single most emotionally traumatic event of my life was falling for a girl who just saw me as a friend. It took me over a decade to dare to let my feelings out again, and I still keep them on a very short leash. You need to learn to do the same. Life's not a romantic comedy, the chances of her coming around and falling in love with you and leaving her boyfriend for you are extremely slim. Unrequited love is nothing but pain...figure out how to control when you start falling for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 07:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Hmmm now you have me doubting. Is it not possible then that a girl can just see a guy as a good friend? Is it always flirting?
It's very unlikely.

Usually you're either a potential romantic interest or a source of attention, but when the girl has a boyfriend, it's not good behavior.

And At Arm's Length is right that flirting isn't always an indicator of real interest. Sometimes people are clueless and don't know how their behavior is misleading to others. Sometimes people just like attention and feel better about themselves when someone is giving them as much affirmation as you were.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
You make it sound rather simple. I feel like for my to feel this way, there must be something coming back the other way. I’d like to think I’m not a fool for love anymore after past experience. Something just seems right about her. I’ve been very guarded about how I feel about her with her. I just don’t know whether to take the plunge and tell her or if that’s the wrong thing to do both for her and for myself if I wish to be friends with her if all else fails.
And the fact that she has a bf is so wrong about her (for you). Forget about her. For all you know, she left because you were getting too flirty with her. Take the hint.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 AM

50,925 posts, read 36,618,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And the fact that she has a bf is so wrong about her (for you). Forget about her. For all you know, she left because you were getting too flirty with her. Take the hint.
Yes when I was young and repeating childhood patters, somehow “unavailable” was a common factor in everyone who was “perfect” for me. Sometimes unavailable meant they already have a partner, sometimes they were just out of my league people who it was not realistic to fantasize about being with. Often we had little actually in common in any case. Sometimes it was traits in them I wished I had, popularity, etc. it felt like if I were with them suddenly I’d have the kind of life they did that I always wanted, be a different and “better” person in that life. . In other words it was usually about me more than them.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes when I was young and repeating childhood patters, somehow “unavailable” was a common factor in everyone who was “perfect” for me.
It makes it so much easier to idealize them.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 831,719 times
Quote:
I think it's possible, but both people need to have the same feelings and expectations in order to maintain the friendship while having romantic relationships with other people. Which is *not* the case here, if you've got a crush on her.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:35 PM

892 posts, read 485,717 times
you don't need this pain. give yrself a chance to find someone more available to you.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:23 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,584,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Assuming you by PT you mean Physical Therapy, leave it alone. You are her client. Of course she's nice and positive. Her niceness is just part of her job. It doesn't matter if you aren't directly working with her when she's nice. You are still her client and she will be nice.

BTW-how can a 21 be a PT? It takes years of study.
big up (personal trainer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships