Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 PM

159 posts, read 61,614 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any history or experience in relationships with someone with anxiety and depression. I dont want to say much, but my girlfriend if I say something wrong, not offensive, but she will take offense for things I say that I attend to do. With anxiety. I feel that in walking on eggshells. Just the other day my girlfriend was swiping through social media on her iPhone and she stated that she is not pretty. And does not feel attractive. She goes to therapy and sees the psychotrist. But anxiety and depression seeps back in. I'm afraid anxiety and depression will ruin the relationship. She also thinks of negative thoughts that she won't tell me. Anyone with such experience and how anyone dealt with anxiety and depression in an relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:23 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verifiedcheckmark View Post
my girlfriend was swiping through social media
she stated that she is not pretty
does not feel attractive.
goes to therapy
sees the psychotrist.
anxiety and depression seeps back in.
thinks of negative thoughts
Social media is the best thing that ever happened to the mental health industry.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Social media is the best thing that ever happened to the mental health industry.
Not wrong there.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:44 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Recently broke up with my ex of a little over a year because of this. It just got to a point where I was just "tired" with the relationship and hated walking on eggshells on a daily basis. She also doesn't go to therapy because she doesn't like it. As much as I love(d) her, it's not enough. Had to end it for my own sanity.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
You aren't responsible for propping up her emotional health. It's on her to manage that, and it sounds like you've been doing a LOT of the "right" things.

At some point you have to recognize when it's not gonna work.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:03 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Doesn't sound like a very happy relationship. Why do you stay?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-30-2019, 09:57 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
My wife has struggled with depression and anxiety for a while. A few health conditions later have made it worse, but the depression and anxiety were always there, just in lesser forms.

To be honest, it's been rough. And I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It sounds crazy to hear, but if I were in your boat, not married, no children, and I felt like I was walking on eggshells just to get through the day, I'd go find someone who my energy matched with better, so I could be myself, and say things I naturally say.

I spent a ton of time saying "i'm sorry" or explaining how what I said wasn't meant to be offensive...but that has rarely made a difference, and she'll take not only basic criticism very personally, but any general comment that isn't praise worthy. It's exhausting.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:49 AM

203 posts, read 142,074 times
Oversensitive is part of anxiety, depression or bipolar and it can be cured with therapy.
But I am assuming your girlfriend doesn't take medicine.
When I was undiagnosed bipolar I was over sensetive about everything.
Since I started medication for some reason I feel more secure in myself and don't take other things personally.
I have great relationship with my boyfriend who is completely healthy person and we barely get into fights.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:03 AM

372 posts, read 456,401 times
This same situation has developed over time in my marriage. I suggest that you consider REALLY hard RIGHT NOW what kind of life you want for the future you and your future children. If she does not change who she is inside, expect to live a life filled with emotional abuse. Your children will be exposed to explosive outbursts for no apparent reason. You being an adult can kind of rationalize her behavior, but kids don't see it as "mommy doesn't love me." And really she can't because she doesn't understand what love is. She can't love herself right now. Do you really want that for your kids? It is better to break things off now and save everyone the pain going forward. Make the break because you love her. As long as you submit to her emotional abuse, you enable her to continue an unhealthy lifestyle.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 AM

I figured out that I will have to tell her that she is beautiful and maybe give her a gift of flowers every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships