Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 11:54 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Love conquers all! And if this is a deal breaker for you, then the love was never there.
Not true at all, that's living in a fantasy world. OP, I think it's best to just walk away. I dated someone who smoked years ago and realized they were not going to quit so I just ended it. My health is much more important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 12:17 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
Am really surprised I couldn't smell it the first few times I visited. Even a cigarette or two would leave some sort of smell you'd think. I'll ask her about it tomorrow.
OK, since it could be the truth that she doesn't smoke and that somebody else did leave a pack there...you said you were going to come right out and ask her. Did you?

Old 08-28-2019, 12:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If she is a very light smoker & you could not detect it on the first 8 dates, maybe it doesn't really matter.
Naaaahhhhh....she's a bad, bad person who has made very bad choices for herself and there is no redemption.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:25 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Naaaahhhhh....she's a bad, bad person who has made very bad choices for herself and there is no redemption.
You picked up on the selfrightousness too?

Old 08-28-2019, 12:42 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
I've been out on 9 dates with this girl I met on an online dating site. It was my fault but I didn't ask her on the first date whether she was a smoker or not. I have visited the place she has been living on half of the dates and there were no indications that she was a smoker. She doesn't smell of cigarettes when I am close to her, even kissing I don't pickup anything.

On our last date I went back to hers again. As I entered the front door I could distinctly smell cigarettes. When I went to sit by the coffee table I saw a packet of cigarettes. At this point my mind kind of froze, I wasn't sure what to do. I casually asked if the cigarettes were hers and she said her friend give them to her.

I've never before mentioned to her my dislike of smoking or mentioned anything to do with smoking. I assumed she wasn't a smoker and so didn't bring anything up, this was so stupid of me.

I like her quite a bit and I will be seeing her again soon. How should I handle this situation?
Are her teeth grey, dark grey, or are there any indications she smokes? If so, those were her cigarettes. She may be hiding the habit because she knows most reasonable people find smoking gross. I find it gross. It's a total turnoff.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:57 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You smell like cigarettes after you smoke. Breath, hair, clothing. You can’t smell it because you’re used to the smell.

Yeah...you keep telling me that. Well, you're the apparent expert.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:04 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
...and she's killing everyone around her! and if she said someone else left the cigarettes there, she's a liar! So she's a lying killer smoker! I just wont have any of it! If she says one more time those aren't her cigarettes....

Old 08-28-2019, 01:05 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
...and she's killing everyone around her! and if she said someone else left the cigarettes there, she's a liar! So she's a lying killer smoker! I just wont have any of it! If she says one more time those aren't her cigarettes....

Lying Killer Smokers would be a good band name.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
I've been out on 9 dates with this girl I met on an online dating site. It was my fault but I didn't ask her on the first date whether she was a smoker or not. I have visited the place she has been living on half of the dates and there were no indications that she was a smoker. She doesn't smell of cigarettes when I am close to her, even kissing I don't pickup anything.

On our last date I went back to hers again. As I entered the front door I could distinctly smell cigarettes. When I went to sit by the coffee table I saw a packet of cigarettes. At this point my mind kind of froze, I wasn't sure what to do. I casually asked if the cigarettes were hers and she said her friend give them to her.
've never before mentioned to her my dislike of smoking or mentioned anything to do with smoking. I assumed she wasn't a smoker and so didn't bring anything up, this was so stupid of me.
I like her quite a bit and I will be seeing her again soon. How should I handle this situation?

You guys are clearly not in California. I can't even "freeze and be unsure what to do" when I see meth or pot laying around, it's so normal here.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:15 PM

999 posts, read 553,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Truth be told, I'm hoping she shows you the door when you bring this up.

I don't feel it's your place, and I find it disgusting when people treat smokers as if they're second-class citizens.
Ridiculous. No one is treating anyone like a "second class citizen" just because smoking is a dealbreaker for dating. If someone wants to engage in a dangerous self-destructive habit that's not only bad for them but also everyone around them, fine. Just don't expect to be respected for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
This.

I love the "it's a dealbreaker" people...I guarantee these same people have a 101 somethings that's are major dealbreakers for others.
..And??? What kind of point is this? That people should have zero standards ever because none of us are perfect?

I'm sure I have many dealbreakers for other people. WE ALL DO. So what? What does that have to do with the standards and boundaries I set for myself? And WHY would I want to date anyone who didn't approve of something about me???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The nerve of people.. I don’t like cigarettes either but I wouldn’t ask someone else to quit or stop after a few dates because of my preferences.
You guys act like we'd be asking the person to stop seeing their family or give up a beloved hobby. It's asking them to stop poisoning themselves and driving themselves into an early grave. THE HORROR.

Please. A lot of smokers desperately want to quit anyway. This is not asking too much of a person. And it's not demanding anything either. It's simply telling them that you'd be willing to continue dating if smoking was no longer an issue. There's NOTHING wrong with that, and if you'd be insulted by that, I don't know how you'd expect to have a relationship. Anyone who loves you is going to care about you and not want to watch you die of a terrible disease. What horrible self-righteous jerks we are right? So sorry. Continue killing yourselves.

Honestly screw smokers. I've watched people I love die of cancer. To selfishlessly and carelessly bring that upon yourself and your loved ones simply because you can't control yourself and your had habits is disgusting. It's not worthy of respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Love conquers all! And if this is a deal breaker for you, then the love was never there.
Nope. Anyone who truly loved me would not put my health at risk. Smokers don't even love themselves.

Quote:
The redemption is quitting.

Sorry to see some of you guys don't take the risks of smoking seriously. I pray you never have to watch someone you love die struggling to breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships