Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:15 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times

Advertisements

Yup, in NC you could be married for no time at all and there's a 1 year no-cohabitation-before-filing waiting period. Plus, there's a ton of paperwork to track down and submit, from parties who may be more or less willing to look for and provide, plus complications regarding child custody, child support, alimony, division of assets, etc.

So, no divorce for me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 01:41 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
In CA there are no real deadlines. You file paperwork, then the other party needs to file some etc. etc. - but there is no time limit, so I guess people forget or delay in purpose. I think alot of people bury their head because it is painful to do, so they push it off. The other person doesn't want to be a d*ck and be pushy ... And so time passes

Old 09-20-2019, 02:43 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Okay, technically they are still married but they were together a year when one of them filed for divorce and its been about 20 months and still nothing.

Seems like there should be a period after which you can declare a marriage done.
Parents is going on two years.

Was supposed to be finalized this summer but would get bumped for cases involving children.

Been at a standstill since the beginning.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Okay, technically they are still married but they were together a year when one of them filed for divorce and its been about 20 months and still nothing.

Seems like there should be a period after which you can declare a marriage done.
Shared assets, houses, investments, children, cars etc. if. Divorced my wife it would he at least a year before it was finalized. If not more. Even if it was amicable We would not just sell assets to the first shark that came along.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Hm. Op seems to have strong feelings on the issue. You waiting for one of them?

Perhaps one or both are dragging their feet and are unsure if they really want a divorce. It's a short marriage, there should be a lot of assets to divide.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-20-2019, 07:11 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
One or both of them is nuts...lol

Both I think honestly!

Old 09-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hm. Op seems to have strong feelings on the issue. You waiting for one of them?P

Only the strong desire never to hear about it again. I work with one of them hard to avoid when they sit a foot away.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hm. Op seems to have strong feelings on the issue. You waiting for one of them?P

Only the strong desire never to hear about it again. I work with one of them hard to avoid when they sit a foot away.

Unfortunately I cannot wear headphones.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:36 AM

599 posts, read 263,246 times
There can be many reasons why. Maybe there are kids and they are reluctant to take the plunge. Sometimes one partner may drag things out to make it difficult. Maybe things drag out due to financial reasons. It's not always cut and dry. There are many shades and circumstances that would warrant divorce taking time.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:48 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:

I was married 18 months when I left. He fought me another 5 years in court. We have been divorced almost 9 years and he still does something once a year that affects me. He still refuses to take his truck out of my name. I can’t figure out his motives. He has a new woman, kid and another 5 cars. Yet he holds onto the truck in my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships