Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 03:55 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times

Advertisements

My DH and I are for the most part on the same page but every now and again things get heated over certain things. We are both stubborn and passionate on how we feel about things.

My dad has always been a staunch republican. My mom is more of an independent but definitely leads towards being a liberal democrat. I've never seen my parents argue about politics, they kind of laugh it off.

It seems like people today cannot do that. A liberal dem and a republican cannot be in the same room together. My mom is in the medical field working closely with the CDC, is disgusted by Trump and meanwhile my dad voted for Trump. They do not seem to care about the other's political issues and my mom just kind of rolls her eyes. My dad is also a man of few words and doesnt say much about anything.

Just makes me wonder if anyone out there broke up or even divorced over having differing political issues.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:39 PM

46 posts, read 20,350 times
My STBX is very liberal. I was somewhat liberal back in the day, but became conservative and started voting Republican last 2 elections. We did not fight about politics, just other things. That is not the reason I am being divorced soon.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:42 PM

29 posts, read 40,546 times
I am generally independent with some left leaning ideas. My husband and I agreed on politics for many years until Trump rolled into the show. Now he is super right and we cannot speak about it at all. We have agreed that it is not healthy for us, so we simply just don't bring it up. The few times that we have it has been a bit of a nightmare and feelings got hurt (mostly mine because I am not much of a debater). If we did not work well as parents, I am not sure we would have anything in common at this point. Unfortunately it also has meant that we really cannot have any meaningful conversations about the world, and that sucks. I cannot even understand how we have gotten through the last four years, but there must be something good because we have made it 17 years at this point. Hoping we can come back to some type of understanding soon.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:48 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,404,431 times
I’ve shifted sides after trump. I’m generally an independent and lean either moderately left or right depending on the current situation in my life. But now I’m finding myself leaning more to the left in the last few years.
My GF is not an American and as such she isn’t as involved in US politics. But she does say that republicans leaders in her area try to force religious groups to preach towards non Christian and atheist communities when they clearly are not interested in being involved with it, and that’s something she dislikes since we are both Hindu.
My dad was a republican, but he flipped this year. Mom is independent and has flipped but in the last few years leaned blue. Brothers is far left, and he is a big supporter of Bernie Sanders.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:53 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
A political difference is, say, disagreeing about airline regulation or the national debt. I have a friend who is adamantly anti-abortion because of her religion, and we are able to discuss our differences.

If someone is in the trump cult mindset, they are melded on a values-level (or lack thereof, as I see it). I cannot see getting along with someone who supports the things that I see trumpers supporting. They are un-American, to me. When I swore to the U.S. Army Reserves, I swore to the Constitution, not a party and damn sure not a person.

I have always been a centrist/Independent and can disagree about leaning left or whatever it's called now. But not a complete disruption of values. That's something I don't want to understand in another person.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:32 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Duplicate topic. Also, please do not post your personal politics here; save it for the Politics forum.

Because this topic has been discussed previously, the thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships