Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should my husband buy me a new car?
Yes-he was and is inconsiderate and controlling 12 48.00%
No 4 16.00%
Should have talked with you about getting new truck 11 44.00%
Should have thought unselfishly about you not having a car 5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 07:06 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,989,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14meows View Post
Recently, my husband decided that he wanted to buy himself a new truck. He didn't really discuss it with me. Didn't ask if I minded. He just went out, found a truck he liked, and began the dickering process. Well, the deal ended up being that my van had to be traded in also to get the new truck. For my 50th birthday my husband had bought me a brand new VW that I had wanted for years. Long story short, emissions scandal, buyback he got more money back than he paid for it. He chose the buyback and bought my daughter a new car. I had to go back to driving a 14-year-old van. Then the incident came up about trading the van for the truck, which left me with no car and a rush to get one. He was going to limit me to a used VW, $5,000. I found a used one for $20,000. He didn't want to pay that much but I really didn't have much choice. Turns out the car is a lemon. I want a Final Edition VW, a NEW car, the last of the VW's. For months he was driving MY car and his truck remained garaged and undriven until I took the key fob out of my car and hid it. SO, he has a new $75,000 truck, my daughter has a new $20,000 Honda, and I have a used $20,000 lemon. Every time we go somewhere, it's MY car that gets driven. I am very very upset at this arrangement. I am retired and disabled so I don't have a job where I can just go buy the car I want. He KNOWS I want that VW but he couldn't care less. Money is not an issue. I do have a retirement pension (which goes to pay BILLS). I do not think this is fair at all. I talked with a salesman who said I could buy the car on my own. As a matter of fact, when my husband and I were engaged, he bought a truck without consulting me at all. I am so upset, angry, furious, and feel cheated. If I mention it to him, he blows up at me. Am I wrong? What would you do?

It all comes down to this for me. Did your husband pay for the van? If so he's free to trade as he's like.

Also If money is not an issue then go buy your own used van.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 07:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times
VW's? No!!! Just this past summer we traded our diesel Ford truck for a Ford Edge and a Toyota Camry, both used but in excellent condition and low miles on the Edge. Trade in the VW on something you like. If its worth 20k, you should have no problem finding something you like used for 20k.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,038,229 times
What makes your car a lemon? You said whenever you all go somewhere, you all always take your car. How much of a lemon is it, if it's the vehicle that gets the most use?

Old 10-04-2019, 09:06 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Is husband really so bad?

He bought OP a brand new VW for her 50th birthday. And it was exactly what she wanted, at the time. Its not his fault that there was an emissions scandal. He bought their daughter a new car. THAT doesn't seem so selfish to me.

And now OP bought herself a $20,000 car, that she says is a lemon...but seems like it gets used quite a bit. Seems like, to me, that she had no problem buying the car she wanted. Little did she know it was a lemon, at the time. OR...did she just change her mind and wanted brand new because everyone else is driving brand new?

I don't know...seems like there's more to the story than we're seeing.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:42 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,526 times
I wish someone would buy me a used car! I'd be happy with a Gremlin.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,396,565 times
You need to make sure that YOUR vehicles are in YOUR name - that would stop these shenanigans.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:35 AM

1,158 posts, read 962,446 times
First, all major purchases should be discussed and agreed to as a couple beforehand. Secondly, 75k for a truck is ridiculous.

Here is a different perspective--Maybe your husband is not such a jerk and is being fair. He bought you the car you wanted when you turned 50 FIRST. Then your daughter got a new car. Your husband was the last person in the family to get a new vehicle. He put you and your daughter's wants and needs ahead of his own. A 14 year old van is way past its prime...I would trade that thing in too.

A car is a major investment. Next time do better research about reliability before you buy. You've picked 2 VWs that were both "lemons" according to you, why in the world would you want another VW after all the problems you've had??? That is just asking for trouble. If you want a new car buy it yourself OR after your daughter's car is paid off it's your turn for a new car.

Last edited by Angie682; 10-05-2019 at 03:45 AM..

Old 10-05-2019, 04:15 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,874,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You need to make sure that YOUR vehicles are in YOUR name - that would stop these shenanigans.
Yes, OP- Why isn’t your car titled in your name?
Also, you didn’t know you could buy a car on your own, until a salesman told you? If you’re past 50, it seems to reveal you’ve been letting your husband take care of all of these things for you, but now you’ve got a complaint. Talk to him about buying a car yourself, that’ll probably convince him, and he’ll go with!

I just read that 2nd wall of text, and this jumped out at me:
Quote:
...my Google doesn't work, I can't use my phone to navigate and stream music at the same time.
Now I’m getting a better picture of your knowledge about cars...

Last edited by RbccL; 10-05-2019 at 04:30 AM..

Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 AM

10,103 posts, read 6,447,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Physically I can’t. Ford Fiesta and a 6’5 300+ pound male, not a great combo. Luckily a used Sonata was easy on my size, gas, and wallet.

OP, I think you’ve long missed the boat on changing dude, not that it sounds like it was possible anyway.
I was referring to the OP and her family with my "you". IMHO, the prices they pay for vehicles are ridiculous.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:23 AM

8,349 posts, read 2,972,047 times
He buys you and your daughter new vehicles. He buys himself a new truck. You spend $20k on a vehicle.

Wish I had this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships