Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 05:58 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,043,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Regarding women: You often see women with uggos. Why is that? Clearly it's because they don't care about men's looks so much and women have the ability to do that more (men less so), but to assume that ALL women are like this and don't care about looks is a huge mistake. Yes, some women do care about looks. It's also false to say what your friend said that all women are superficial and care about men's looks. All you have to do is look at the many women who are with men who look like a baboons azz and you'll get your answer there. Clearly the woman can overlook that because of other traits she enjoys about him taking center stage. It is part of the privilege of being in the female gender that allows women to "diversify" like that.
Well, perhaps...I think that comes with age. I think this could be said for a younger generation of women (or men) that tend to aim mostly at looks, but as they age, say..mid 40s...they start to care less about looks and more about personality and character.

Although, there's a caveat to THAT caveat, lol...I know fit , older people are kind of stymied as to finding someone 55+ that is as fit as they are...so they kind of settle with the dad bod guy.

I got a male friend, he's pushing 60, but is a plant-based, athletic guy. Very lean, head shaven. He said he hasn't found many attractive women at the Meetup groups he goes to...that are around his age. And women over 55 that keep trim tend to settle on guys with dad bods, I guess...because it's kind of a given that men aren't on top of their health once they get past a certain age.

When I say "Dad bods", not necessarily men with guts, but just out of shape men that aren't overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 08:50 AM

14,262 posts, read 14,794,461 times
For me she has to be reasonably good looking, dress size 12 or less, be friendly/bright, premenopausal, and taking no mind altering prescription drugs.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:09 AM

1,706 posts, read 639,134 times
Before I was married, Looks were the most important thing I looked for. A woman can have the best personality in the world but if I am not attracted to her then the relationship will never work out.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:49 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,468,641 times
Looks are always part of anyone’s assessment. I wouldn’t say it’s the “only” consideration given by anyone unless the “look” is so disagreeable to someones sensibilities that no words are needed.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:55 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,523,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLB75 View Post
Men do you judge women on looks with first meetings?
Yes.

I have found that whenever I see a lady with blackened teeth, I am repulsed by the sight. I have a difficult time forcing myself to be friendly and open to these ladies.

I am also repelled by obesity.

edit - Also lets add 'Ferengi' teeth.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:36 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,818,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, whats the point? I usually know what they look like before meeting, the meeting is about chemistry. If its not there, we move on.
I’m not a guy but I have to agree with this, I think it’s all about chemistry. I’ve met up with good looking guys but knew there’d be no second date because there was zero chemistry. Pretty sure if there’s a second date the first date had to have some sort of chemistry.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:38 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,362,512 times
Quote:
Like if you met someone from Match.com for coffee and decided you didn’t want to meet her again is it solely based on her appearance in person or could you find them physically attractive but just didn’t feel a connection?
I'll admit, I will notice a person's looks, but that is not going to be the deciding factor. Whether I want to meet her again or not is not going to be based on her looks. It would be more of her overall character and how we go together. The energy I get from her and our interaction is going to be a larger factor. And for me, attraction is more of a feeling than anything else. She could look like Beyonce, and I could still not feel attracted to her. At the same time, she could look in ways that people would consider "unattractive" and I could feel infatuated with her. I've fallen for all types of looks.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:39 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,362,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I’m not a guy but I have to agree with this, I think it’s all about chemistry. I’ve met up with good looking guys but knew there’d be no second date because there was zero chemistry. Pretty sure if there’s a second date the first date had to have some sort of chemistry.
Said it better than I have...

Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,601,803 times
Quote:
Well this happen to me a few times when I was younger and people always said “you’re so pretty why don’t you have a boyfriend”. I’m referring to my co worker mostly who is pretty, nice body as well and good personality and she met a guy for coffee and he bailed after a half hour. When she texted him once just say she had a nice time, he said “I don’t think it’s going to work out”. Another guy made an excuse to leave as soon as he met her. It doesn’t make sense. I have 2 friends who are not attractive, overweight, one has bad teeth, and they always find men. Especially men who want to get physical with them. My pretty coworker can’t even find a man interested for casual relationships either. I had the same problem until I was married. And I knew my husband as friends. We didn’t meet online.

Why doesn't it make sense tho? You weren't on the date.... Most men want chemistry ofc...........but it's silly & immature IMO to assume it's the *only* thing men want.............

A N D we make up the other half of a relationship........so what we want is important too......

Old 01-21-2020, 11:15 AM

972 posts, read 544,801 times
There was a time when I would have held on longer than I should have because she was hot. I wouldn't do that anymore. That's not to say that looks no longer matter, but that I won't allow myself to be railroaded by them. In fact, I'm aware of the potential for her to be corrupted by all of the priority treatment she has gotten because of her looks, as well as my potential to fall into that same hormonal trap. So my reaction would be, "Wow, she's hot. Hold up, be careful now!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships