Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 05:58 AM

720 posts, read 500,821 times

Advertisements

...doesn't act on it?

I'll preface this by saying this isn't my story. I was told this last night by a friend over a few beers.

Long story short: buddy of mine has been dating a girl for almost two years who currently lives with him. I guess they intend on getting married at some point.

He said he works with a girl who he is kinda becoming more attracted to. He said she's just really cool. Smart, funny, they have a lot in common. He has a beard and even though his girlfriend told him he's gonna have to shave it at some point, this girl said she likes it. He said she covered for him once when he was running late. They have stopped and gotten each other breakfast (they paid each other back, but still, the gesture...). Oh and she's pretty attractive too. I know her.

He said he figured his attraction for her was only one sided until their office did a Dirty Santa/White Elephant Party or whatever it's called. He said they all brought in their gifts (under $20) and put them on a table. He saw someone had brought in a brand-new brown leather newsboy cap and he knew that's the gift he wanted (he was wearing it while telling me this story btw). He wound up getting the cap and then a few days later when he showed up to work wearing it she told him she bought it expecting him to choose it. He had no idea she was the one who bought it.

He said he realized he has feelings for her when he saw one of his co-workers talking to her. He got a little jealous seeing her laughing with another guy. I was like, oh boy.

I told him to just keep it in check. I don't believe men and women can't be friends without someone developing feelings, and I don't think you have keep everybody you work with at arm's length just to be professional. But I told him to keep casual yet professional. Don't start seriously flirting with her and do NOT start telling her stuff about his girlfriend.

I also told him he shouldn't tell his girlfriend anything about this woman.

What do you guys think? Personally, I kinda think the girl likes him and she's kinda playing the game right. Not gonna lie, the hat move would've done it for me, but I'm easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 06:47 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,591 times
He shouldn't act on it if he wants to keep his job.

What age range is he, 20s, 30s, 40s? And the work girl?

She sounds like just a flirty girl, who is just playing around with the guys at work, for attention.

Bigger question is, how does he feel about his live-in girlfriend?

Old 01-19-2020, 06:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Since you said, "long story short", what details did you leave out?

Old 01-19-2020, 06:57 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
New attractions are all sparkly because you haven’t known them long enough for the shine to wear off.

If he’s serious about his girlfriend, he needs to step back. There will always be new sparkly attractions along the way.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:14 AM

720 posts, read 500,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
He shouldn't act on it if he wants to keep his job.

What age range is he, 20s, 30s, 40s? And the work girl?

She sounds like just a flirty girl, who is just playing around with the guys at work, for attention.

Bigger question is, how does he feel about his live-in girlfriend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Since you said, "long story short", what details did you leave out?

He's 30. The work girl is slightly younger, so late-20s.

The part I left out was about his girlfriend. I wouldn't say they're having problems, but they're not entirely on the same page. I kinda think she's ready to settle down, get married, possibly have kids. He loves her (so he says), but I don't know if he's entirely ready for that yet. Or, possibly, if he doesn't think she's the one. I didn't want to get into it in the OP because it wouldn't look fair to the girlfriend to talk about how this girl at work is wooing him while she's just the one putting pressure on him.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:18 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post

I didn't want to get into it in the OP because it wouldn't look fair to the girlfriend to talk about how this girl at work is wooing him while she's just the one putting pressure on him.
He already has feelings for her.

So ... now what?

He can either continue to foster it with "gestures," or he can wise up and put an end to it. But he enjoys that little tingle, so he won't. He's allowing it right now. That gate he's the keeper of is swinging back and forth, wide open.

And for the record, why say his GF is "putting pressure on him"?

As long as she isn't doing the same thing with a guy at work, she's probably just honoring the deal she thought they had. That pressure is called "accountability," and your buddy needs to own it.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:23 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
If it were my SO, I'd say "see ya and I hope you're happy." Life's too short to be stuck with someone who would rather be with someone else.

If he's not happy with his girlfriend anyway (is he really, or did he just magically start being unhappy with her when this other woman showed up? Amazing how often that happens), then it sounds like it would be best for him to do them both a favor and move on, anyway.

This whole thing has already gone too far, and I doubt there's any backing off at this point, especially if they're still going to be working together. He can try to stop the way they're interacting, but I doubt he's going to stop wanting to interact that way.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:27 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
New attractions are all sparkly because you haven’t known them long enough for the shine to wear off.

If he’s serious about his girlfriend, he needs to step back. There will always be new sparkly attractions along the way.
Right on. Sometimes people will take as if cheating is a one-time event, but generally you don't just fall into bed with someone immediately. It's starts small--they exchange numbers, then they start texting about things outside work, then they go for lunch without the rest of the coworkers, etc, etc. This guy needs to shut it down right now, if he's serious about his existing relationship.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:34 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
It just seems that people in their 20's seem to treat the workplace like the next place after high school where you found your next boyfriend/girlfriend.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
What's the question? He's ready for a new girl, but most men are not strong enough to break up with the old girl in order to get with the new girl, so they try to keep both, which is what this guy will do (most guys do this), and often times the girls end up finding out about each other and then he loses them both because he won't choose and they get pissed off at him.

Or, he will opt to become the work girl's orbiter (aka "friend") so he can harbor his crush on her and continue to hide it from his current girl. A self-proposed friendzone, but really he's just enjoying filling up his spank bank. This is the safer and seemingly harmless route and some guys choose this instead.

Last edited by srjth; 01-19-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships