Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 10:45 AM

154 posts, read 74,239 times

Advertisements

The McDonald's CEO was fired for having a consensual relationship with a co-worker. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/b...ceo-fired.html
These kinds of workplace romances are becoming more unacceptable at many companies and not just with management. Every company I've worked for strongly discourages inter-office relationships of this kind.
This is a warning to be careful how you conduct yourself at work because what was once accepted or even encouraged could now get anyone in trouble or even terminated.
It is never a good idea to seek out co-workers for romantic relationships. You go to work to do the jobs you are assigned, not to fish in the company pond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Far as I go, you are preaching to the choir. I’ve already been burned by getting to close to my coworkers outside of work, in a platonic situation. I just do my job, shut the hell up, and go home.

One thing people must realize, if SHTF and the romance goes sour, you have to see that person at your job and that will probably affect your ability to stay and/or perform to your potential. Be cordial to your coworkers sure but don’t do ANYTHING above that.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
I did go out with a contractor at my job, after I quit. Great date - but it didn't work out. Well to be fair, we did have lunch that was semi-date like before I quit. Honestly - he was flirting. We kinda worked together on a few projects. It felt pretty low risk for me, because he only came into our office maybe 3 times a year for a few days. And his contract was a minor one for the company - 10 hours per month. If it eventually became too awkward, it would have been easy enough to bow out of the projects working with him.

That being said, at the same company, two colleagues did start dating. They dated at work for around 4-5 years. They got married this year, at the home of a former employee of the company who used to manage one of them. And now they are married at work. These two handled it very well, I didn't even know they were dating for a few weeks - even though it was a fairly small company, and they worked on teams that worked together - sat one row apart. It saved money for company events where travel was required, and they both attended.

I think dating at work is hard, but it can be successful in some circumstances - provided everyone has a plan: the couple and the company if things do not work out.

Obviously in the case above, the management team was ok with the situation.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:39 AM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
The thing is, you can't date anyone you have management oversight of. I have dated people from other departments at work in various places, and it was never a problem. Micky D's CEO needed to realize, as CEO, he has management oversight of EVERYBODY, so all employees are off limits.

I have worked mostly at nuclear power plants and at a laboratory (research). Certainly at the power plants, if I wanted to date someone intelligent and educated, the fishing was a lot better in the "company pond" as it were, than amongst the general population (usually rural) out there. Everybody knew this, so it was understood. We also understood that if you were dating someone from your own group, you share a supervisor, if that supervisor is promoted, neither one of you are in the running to replace him (her). Even if you got married, you can't supervise your spouse, or SO, or whatever. Even if both of you have the wisdom of Solomon, it just looks too damn funny to everyone else.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:38 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
This situation is different. The CEO has a great deal of power and influence over employees. While workplace romances may not be ideal, they shouldn’t be dismissed altogether.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:41 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
This situation is different. The CEO has a great deal of power and influence over employees. While workplace romances may not be ideal, they shouldn’t be dismissed altogether.

Depends. This workplace had a strict non fraternization policy. If a person directly violates a clear company policy, as this person did, they absolutely should be canned.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Well, this is exactly why a lot of people do online dating. So they can meet someone outside of their work. And yet so many people still see online dating as creepy or weird, so they have to contend with that stigma too.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Plus, it depends on the workplace. My sister and BIL work for the same employer (they did not meet there), but it is a huge corporate campus where their buildings are probably 1/2 mile to a mile apart from each other. They will carpool to work, but that is about the only time they see each other. My BIL is in a managerial role, but my sister is in a niche area, so my BIL would never be be associated with that unit as it requires skills that he does not have. We also have people who are married in my organization and typically you are not supposed to be dating someone in the same unit at the same location. I have a coworker in a nonsupervisory role whose wife works as a supervisor in another office that does the same thing. They could never work together. I know people who have spouses who are contractors, and those contractors can’t do work for that office either.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:51 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
The McDonald's CEO was fired for having a consensual relationship with a co-worker. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/b...ceo-fired.html
These kinds of workplace romances are becoming more unacceptable at many companies and not just with management. Every company I've worked for strongly discourages inter-office relationships of this kind.
This is a warning to be careful how you conduct yourself at work because what was once accepted or even encouraged could now get anyone in trouble or even terminated.
It is never a good idea to seek out co-workers for romantic relationships. You go to work to do the jobs you are assigned, not to fish in the company pond.
A CEO or managment with a subordinate. it makes sense.

But a waitress and busboy , or 2 Home Depot co-workers aren't going to give two craps about it. Seen it happen all the time.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:52 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
...also I used to work at a place that was a vehicle service center.

1. There was a receptionist dating a mechanic, they were living together. Brady Bunch style. Came to work together.

2. A couple, now married, that had met and dated/courted whilst working there. They come to work together, have lunch together, and go home together. Granted. he's also a mechanic, and she works in HR.

But, that's typical of a backwater, family owned facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships