Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Heartbroken?
I've been hurt to the point where I'm absolutely empty. I'd die before I let it happen again. 2 3.70%
Far too many times. It would take something amazing for me to leave myself open. 8 14.81%
A lot. But I still have hope, life is not over for me. 2 3.70%
There are two or three moments where I've been devastated. 20 37.04%
Only one time, and it had a big impact. 14 25.93%
Never. Not even once has my heart been broken. 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,979 times

Advertisements

I made another poll about how often one has fallen in love, it appears most people only fall in love a few times. But who can really define what falling in love means? So we ask the question: How many times have you had your heart completely broken..? Probably a more accurate indicator of how many times you've really fallen in love, and something that makes a much bigger and longer lasting impact. To be clear this time, I'm talking about a deep cut. You were all in the pot, and you lost (emotionally). This could be due to cheating, divorce, breakups, a nasty moment or comment that ended everything right then and there (even if the relationship continued afterwards). We'll only count moments that occured after you were 16.

For me the answer is none. I've been rejected before but never had true heartbreak. When it happens it'll really cut deep, because I rarely open up to anyone.

Share your thoughts, especially those of you who are 'battle-weary' so to speak. I expect to hear much from the goof troop (a.k.a. the four women who always post in the relationship forum, a.k.a. the dork brigade)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
I wonder, am I in the dork brigade? No, not me.

2x. That is it. 2x.

Good morning Chi...

Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I wonder, am I in the dork brigade? No, not me.

2x. That is it. 2x.

Good morning Chi...
Not you robyn. Morning, I'm getting ready to hit the hay. Getting off work at 3am is no fun anymore

Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Share your thoughts, especially those of you who are 'battle-weary' so to speak. I expect to hear much from the goof troop (a.k.a. the four women who always post in the relationship forum, a.k.a. the dork brigade)
Oh, youth, oh, youth... lots to learn! Goofing around and exposing your dirty laundry to the world are two entirely different ball games and if you have been more observant you'd know sierraAZ is not that big on the latter. You're never gonna hear her in the future asking you what to do about X guy, either.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
I expect to hear much from the goof troop (a.k.a. the four women who always post in the relationship forum, a.k.a. the dork brigade)
Eh? Who is the 'dork brigade'? Do they know that they are the dork brigade.
That's kind of mean if they don't.

I've never had my heart broken. Been lucky. Only been dumped once and I was upset - not because I was upset about losing the guy, but because my pride was hurt. Actually it was a great experience for me. Taught me to be kinder to men.

If my husband now ever cheated on me or left me, I would be completely devastated. I am sure I would eventually pull through, but it really doesn't even bear thinking about.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,786,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, youth, oh, youth... lots to learn! Goofing around and exposing your dirty laundry to the world are two entirely different ball games and if you have been more observant you'd know sierraAZ is not that big on the latter. You're never gonna hear her in the future asking you what to do about X guy, either.
I think I know my name when I see it... Dork brigade (I think there's more than four of us though!)

My dirty laundry sits in my closet...

To answer a bit more seriously, heartbreak is a learning experience. You love someone deep enough to allow them to go on their own way. It's as if you hold another's hand on the journey of life and when you come to a crossroad's you can lovingly let go and say "I love you and I let you go. So long my precious friend, I will remember you always, you will now be a beautiful memory that I will hold dear to my heart " You take the lessons from the time you walked together and then you allow yourself the courage to walk alone, guided by the Holy Spirit in the Sky. Knowing that all is well, allowing the sun to kiss you face, while the wind whispers your name. Finding yourself in nature, and opening yourself to the possibility that one day you may find another companion to walk the path with.

You will see me on the religion forum every now and again too Sir.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
In retrospect, my very few heartbreaks were more akin to a bruised ego and not achieving the scenario that I had visualized. Of course, at the time they happened, I felt very hurt and full of heartache inside my chest. But there were no permanent scars left. I think it's all a matter of ones mindset. I am not a person that likes wallowing in misery. If someone didn't return my affections I just moved on. And looking back, it was all for the best. I have zero regrets over who I liked and also there isn't anyone that I still regret not being my "one".

I think that some people get too melodramatic and emotional about this love stuff. They are too focused on the emotional highs of love and think that it's proof of true love, when it's not. All those heady emotions are more to do with sexual attraction and infatuation. And some people, when the infatuation feeling is fading away, try to replace it with a cycle of fighting for the protestations of love and makeup reconciliation sex afterwards. And that's really unhealthy.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
To answer a bit more seriously, heartbreak is a learning experience. You love someone deep enough to allow them to go on their own way. It's as if you hold another's hand on the journey of life and when you come to a crossroad's you can lovingly let go and say "I love you and I let you go. So long my precious friend, I will remember you always, you will now be a beautiful memory that I will hold dear to my heart " You take the lessons from the time you walked together and then you allow yourself the courage to walk alone, guided by the Holy Spirit in the Sky. Knowing that all is well, allowing the sun to kiss you face, while the wind whispers your name. Finding yourself in nature, and opening yourself to the possibility that one day you may find another companion to walk the path with.
Only that it hardly ever works in this "divine" way...

Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,786,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Only that it hardly ever works in this "divine" way...
Pessimist.

My head may be in the clouds, but my feet are still on the ground.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Pessimist.

informed optimist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships