Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 12:20 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times

Advertisements

It means I have a headache tonight, but in five days I'll be ready to go. It will be worth your wait.

Ugh. Promises, promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 12:34 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathias_north View Post
Hello,
I am a male in his mid 30s, some time ago I knew a 40 year old woman, we had a nice first date, and then exchanged nice texts for a while. I asked her for a second date, to which she agreed, but then said that she was busy for the next few days, saying that maybe she would have a free slot in about five days, but she was not sure. She commented on this saying "Patience is a virtue ".

Now my question here is *not* going to be on whether she is interested or not, or what I should do... I have plenty of other women with whom I am in touch, and this is not an issue.

My question is on whether I should consider her behavior, and "Patience is a virtue ", a bit condescending and pretentious, as if she suggested that I should be all the time at her disposal.

I personally believe that this is condescending and disrespectful, but I would not mind having other points of view.

Best,
I definitely think it is condescending and I wouldn’t get my hopes up for another date. Of course, I’d probably not want another date with a woman who acted like that.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:35 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
I'm tempted to say you should trust your instincts, OP. Maybe that's because I see the scenario and the comment as a little presumptuous. Then from your other thread you seem to think there's necessarily a sort of game aspect to dating. That's one way to proceed. A dishonest, problematic way, but a way. If that's your take on dating in general you may see game playing where it doesn't exist, though.

So I guess all I really have is the opinion that virtue is over rated and that what she may be implying with her comment is hardly worth waiting for.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:39 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I feel like I might be missing something here. She agreed to a second date, but in about a week, and said something along the lines of "just wait" with a winky emoji. I don't understand how that's condescending.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:41 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I feel like I might be missing something here. She agreed to a second date, but in about a week, and said something along the lines of "just wait" with a winky emoji. I don't understand how that's condescending.
No, most people wouldn't.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:41 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Sometimes analyzing these things is not all that necessary. You do not need to prepare a court case to back up your decision, if your gut is not comfortable with this, then you can just not proceed to deal with it.

Honestly? I don't like it either. I am not going to waste my time (for a change) analyzing exactly why, or whether it was truly out of line, or whatever. If someone sends me a message that just rubs me the wrong way, then why bother with 'em? I don't owe them anything. You don't owe her your patience. You decide if you want to give it or you don't.

But I'm also influenced to say this, based on you saying that you're talking to other people. If you were the kind of poster who says that they never get any luck or contact or interest and struggles with online dating, my advice might be different. Maybe then you would want to wait and see if this is just her trying to flirt, or what happens, because you don't really have anything else going on.

But from what you say? I'd be feeling pretty dismissive of her based on the tone of that message.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It struck me as condescending because, after putting him off and not even agreeing to a specific second day, she then implied that he should be patient and just wait for whatever she finally decides.

The more I read it, the less I like it.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:52 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Yeah, I wouldn't like it. Not a huge deal, but somewhat of a turnoff.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:52 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No, most people wouldn't.
I don't think it's condescending, but maybe a bit coquettish. Like she was half hiding her face behind a splayed fan as she wrote it. But maybe that's a style the OP can work with.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:54 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I guess I just read:

Quote:
"Patience is a virtue "
as her trying to be clever and flirty. (also, it sounds like something I would say, so maybe that explains it. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships