Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 01:08 PM

146 posts, read 123,489 times

Advertisements

I am a decent-looking guy and it seems my female dentist has been flirting with me. She talks to me a lot, sometimes she rests her hand on my shoulder while she talks. The other day I made a joke and she reached over and gently pinched my mouth with her thumb on one side and index finger on the other side. You know, the way parents do that with their little kids when they try to force them to open their mouth. She did that while she was waiting for her assistant to finish something.

I could be wrong, and that stuff doesn't mean anything.

Should I test the waters more or should I be direct and ask her out. If she accepts, though, I think I'd need to find a new dentist. Could be awkward. A catch 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 01:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kidd View Post
I am a decent-looking guy and it seems my female dentist has been flirting with me. She talks to me a lot, sometimes she rests her hand on my shoulder while she talks. The other day I made a joke and she reached over and gently pinched my mouth with her thumb on one side and index finger on the other side. You know, the way parents do that with their little kids when they try to force them to open their mouth. She did that while she was waiting for her assistant to finish something.

I could be wrong, and that stuff doesn't mean anything.

Should I test the waters more or should I be direct and ask her out. If she accepts, though, I think I'd need to find a new dentist. Could be awkward. A catch 22.
I don't think she was flirting.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
The other day I made a joke and she reached over and gently pinched my mouth with her thumb on one side and index finger on the other side.

The other day???
I see you live in New Jersey.
So like, all this sexy stuff was going on in an opened dental office just the other day while we're in the middle of a pandemic?

Old 05-31-2020, 02:29 PM

I don't live in NJ any more. Yup, dentistry rolls on.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:43 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,856 times
Quote:
I am a decent-looking guy and it seems my female dentist has been flirting with me. She talks to me a lot,
Your dentist talks to you???? That harlot!!!

It's called bedside manner.

Quote:
The other day I made a joke and she reached over and gently pinched my mouth with her thumb on one side and index finger on the other side. You know, the way parents do that with their little kids when they try to force them to open their mouth.

So it's a children's dentist you go to...

Quote:

should I be direct and ask her out. .
What are you going to say? "Hey, would you like me to drill YOUR molar???"

I have this dentist, he is from a different culture than me, and in his culture, the very first time I even met him for a consultation, he gave me two kisses, one on each cheek. When I was sitting in the consultation chair, he went to what I thought was shake my hand, but he held my hand for a very long time while he proceeded to explain the upcoming procedure. During the procedure, he constantly called me "My love..." He also has called me on the phone to talk a few times, about non-dentist stuff. And no, not once do I think he is "flirting" with me. Or that he wants to go out with me. That is just his nature.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:54 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, you could kind of play dumb next time that happens. When she touches you, wither to pinch your cheek, or to rest her arm on your shoulder, get kind of wide-eyed, as ask her, "Are you allowed to do that? Aren't we supposed to be practicing safety measures against Covid?" I guarantee, it won't happen again.

Report back.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Your dentist talks to you???? That harlot!!!

It's called bedside manner.

So it's a children's dentist you go to...

What are you going to say? "Hey, would you like me to drill YOUR molar???"

I have this dentist, he is from a different culture than me, and in his culture, the very first time I even met him for a consultation, he gave me two kisses, one on each cheek. When I was sitting in the consultation chair, he went to what I thought was shake my hand, but he held my hand for a very long time while he proceeded to explain the upcoming procedure. During the procedure, he constantly called me "My love..." He also has called me on the phone to talk a few times, about non-dentist stuff. And no, not once do I think he is "flirting" with me. Or that he wants to go out with me. That is just his nature.
I have a different take on your interesting cross-cultural experience. Some men exploit the difference in cultures, and Americans' (or anyone not from their culture's) naivety about what's acceptable behavior. Some, like your dentist, milk it to the max. "My love"? Seriously?? I'm not buying, that "that's just his culture", or "his nature".

Yeah, it's apparently his nature to try to make moves on his woman customers, through quasi-ambiguous gestures he can pretend are part of his culture, that I believe.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
should I be direct and ask her out. .
I missed this. Do you want to ask her out?! I guess, judging by your question, you don't feel like following my earlier advice, to get her to back off.

In that case, I have no advice for you. You're on your own. Jeez.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:13 PM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times
She might be pinching you to see if the Novocain has taken effect.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
She might be pinching you to see if the Novocain has taken effect.
That's it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships