Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 11:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I just had the most bizarre experience this week, and I felt like this would be the best place to share.

So there is a coffeeshop I have gone to somewhat regularly over the past few (or more) years. And there's one person who works there as a senior staffer that I'd see on most visits, we were friendly and made general small talk. At some point we connected on social media - but didn't really interact there.

The bar fell out of my rotation for a while, but before quarantine I managed to add it back in a few times, since I was in that neighborhood.

In the past year or so he has decided to run his own private events, and started inviting me to them (which I totally expect from social media connections). So I thought that was normal. Then he started sending more personal messages, commenting on my Facebook posts or trip photos. I thought it was kinda odd - just because at this point we have been connected for a couple of years and that hadn't happened in the past.

So this week he reached out wanting to meet up for a special coffee tasting as he has a new one he wanted to share/show off and I love specialty coffees.

So in the midst of coordinating this meetup. He asks me about dating. And I thought it was random. And that lead to a convo about casual hookups. And how he often hooks up with people from the coffeeshop.

I had no idea! Now I know why he is so friendly and well known to all the ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 11:53 PM

315 posts, read 169,948 times
Great story thanks for sharing!

Old 06-24-2020, 02:18 AM

118 posts, read 55,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I just had the most bizarre experience this week, and I felt like this would be the best place to share.

So there is a coffeeshop I have gone to somewhat regularly over the past few (or more) years. And there's one person who works there as a senior staffer that I'd see on most visits, we were friendly and made general small talk. At some point we connected on social media - but didn't really interact there.

The bar fell out of my rotation for a while, but before quarantine I managed to add it back in a few times, since I was in that neighborhood.

In the past year or so he has decided to run his own private events, and started inviting me to them (which I totally expect from social media connections). So I thought that was normal. Then he started sending more personal messages, commenting on my Facebook posts or trip photos. I thought it was kinda odd - just because at this point we have been connected for a couple of years and that hadn't happened in the past.

So this week he reached out wanting to meet up for a special coffee tasting as he has a new one he wanted to share/show off and I love specialty coffees.

So in the midst of coordinating this meetup. He asks me about dating. And I thought it was random. And that lead to a convo about casual hookups. And how he often hooks up with people from the coffeeshop.

I had no idea! Now I know why he is so friendly and well known to all the ladies.
lol

Well at least you know

Old 06-25-2020, 01:46 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
You have known him for a few years, and he has asked you out on a date.

You have not said whether you like him, or not.

If you think that you like him, then go out with him.

If you think that you do not like him, then tell him so.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:49 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
You probably won’t be the last... your call. ( you’re a big girl lol) If you want to hook up with him go for it. If not it’s a moot question anyway.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:03 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Maybe he's popular for a reason

Old 06-26-2020, 08:35 AM

52,253 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I think it's creepy and it's never something I'd do, I let her be the one to make it clear that she was interested that way but whatever, not about me. Do what your gut tells you to do, it's usually right.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:24 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think it's creepy and it's never something I'd do, I let her be the one to make it clear that she was interested that way but whatever, not about me. Do what your gut tells you to do, it's usually right.
Thank you! I don't understand why store staff think, that just because patrons exchange pleasantries politely or cheerfully, that that may mean staff has a chance to start something on a personal level with customers. The customer base is not there to be staff's dating pool.

Does this guy not have a social life, where he can meet women? Does the manager not have a policy prohibiting trying to use the customer base as a potential dating pool? (Many owners/managers do, because it can cause customers uncomfortable with personal come-ons to take their business elsewhere.) In some cases, staffers persist, even when the customer does not engage in conversation, and makes it clear she's not interested. Talk about creepy!

Hopefully, this situation won't become problematic. Keep us posted as to how (if) it resolves.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I do think it is an interesting approach. Honestly, I think he is an interesting guy, not into hookups really. But would be totally fine having an actual friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you! I don't understand why store staff think, that just because patrons exchange pleasantries politely or cheerfully, that that may mean staff has a chance to start something on a personal level with customers. The customer base is not there to be staff's dating pool.

Does this guy not have a social life, where he can meet women? Does the manager not have a policy prohibiting trying to use the customer base as a potential dating pool? (Many owners/managers do, because it can cause customers uncomfortable with personal come-ons to take their business elsewhere.) In some cases, staffers persist, even when the customer does not engage in conversation, and makes it clear she's not interested. Talk about creepy!

Hopefully, this situation won't become problematic. Keep us posted as to how (if) it resolves.
I am making assumptions that he is pretty discreet about it. This come-on for me came over Facebook, after several years of being connected. I'll read into his gradual warmup messages over time. I probably seemed like a warm enough contact as we had several getting to know you Facebook conversations in the past (unrelated to coffee). It would have been really weird if it was the first message ever. I probably seemed potentially receptive based on prior conversations.

Seems like he has a fairly large circle, but I guess it is hard to find coffee nerds. :P

That being said, I am kind of an almost overly friendly person. I definitely make enough small talk with workers that makes people feel like we are on the path to being friends. I am a personable patron.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:07 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Hope is a helluva drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships