Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 11:13 PM

7 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

I'm married but likely getting divorced soon and am thinking ahead to life as a single guy again. I'm wondering if I'll have a hard time finding a match in the future because of lifestyle issues. I would love the *kind* perspective of the group. 1.) I work a full-time job with erratic & often long hours and am starting a consulting practice on the side. My lack of free time can't be a help to building a relationship. 2.) I have young children so I'm putting effort into kiddie care. 3.) When I have free time, I'm pretty outdoorsy/active, a hardcore natural history enthusiast and have little interest in indoor/sedentary activity. 4.) I have a long list of food allergies. Eating out isn't much fun for me so I avoid it as much as possible. However, it's a pretty standard date activity. 5.) While I'm active and reasonably fit, I have autoimmune symptoms and they flare up periodically and have also caused some permanent loss of function. My wife complains bitterly about some of this. 6.) I'm an urbanite and a car free person. I take Uber when I need to but observe that some women evaluate you by whether you own a car and a house. Oh yeah, I'll be renting when I'm separated.

Without changing myself as a person, what should I expect if I resume dating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 11:34 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBostonMan View Post
I'm married but likely getting divorced soon and am thinking ahead to life as a single guy again. I'm wondering if I'll have a hard time finding a match in the future because of lifestyle issues.

Zero matches or extremely desperate women.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:33 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,226,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBostonMan View Post
I'm married but likely getting divorced soon and am thinking ahead to life as a single guy again. I'm wondering if I'll have a hard time finding a match in the future because of lifestyle issues. I would love the *kind* perspective of the group. 1.) I work a full-time job with erratic & often long hours and am starting a consulting practice on the side. My lack of free time can't be a help to building a relationship. 2.) I have young children so I'm putting effort into kiddie care. 3.) When I have free time, I'm pretty outdoorsy/active, a hardcore natural history enthusiast and have little interest in indoor/sedentary activity. 4.) I have a long list of food allergies. Eating out isn't much fun for me so I avoid it as much as possible. However, it's a pretty standard date activity. 5.) While I'm active and reasonably fit, I have autoimmune symptoms and they flare up periodically and have also caused some permanent loss of function. My wife complains bitterly about some of this. 6.) I'm an urbanite and a car free person. I take Uber when I need to but observe that some women evaluate you by whether you own a car and a house. Oh yeah, I'll be renting when I'm separated.

Don't expect anything. Try being single. You just now getting out of something don't be in a rush to get back into the fire. When you no longer need someone in your life that's when higher quality people want to be part of it.

If you just have to be in a relationship that gives someone a position in which they can manipulate you.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:25 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Outdoorsy is good. Food allergies and autoimmune disease would make you a miserable match, long term. You need to stick with martyrs or figure out how to fix your marriage.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:53 AM

762 posts, read 452,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Zero matches or extremely desperate women.
No doubt plus he's not loyal, already looking out to see what's out there, when he is still married.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:51 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Don't expect anything. Try being single. You just now getting out of something don't be in a rush to get back into the fire. When you no longer need someone in your life that's when higher quality people want to be part of it.

If you just have to be in a relationship that gives someone a position in which they can manipulate you.
Couldn't rep you again.

This is excellent advice!

Old 03-07-2021, 07:42 AM

6,467 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Not worried about the other stuff, but I'd pass on someone too busy with their job or kids to put anything into the relationship. There are only so many hours in a day, and sometimes you have to give up some things you would like to do because you just don't have time for everything. For you, "some things" may be a relationship right now.

Is that part of the reason you're "likely getting divorced"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
No doubt plus he's not loyal, already looking out to see what's out there, when he is still married.
Also this. (Still married and not even yet sure he's getting divorced...)

Old 03-07-2021, 09:41 AM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times
You are LIKELY getting a divorce? Does that mean you aren't sure? Don't you think you ought to solve that problem before jumping on to the next?

Does your getting a divorce or not depend on our answers on what we think your dating prospects would be?

Old 03-07-2021, 12:21 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,650,432 times
What function has experienced permanent loss due to food allergies?

Sense of smell or taste?

Or something else?

And does it affect your daily life?

Old 03-07-2021, 01:05 PM

125 posts, read 76,167 times
When you say you're likely getting divorced, is that because you are pursuing the divorce, or your spouse is? Your answer has a lot to do with my answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships