Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 07:18 AM

1,073 posts, read 621,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
The most important people in my life (mom & fiance') & I all have the same opinion about this vaccine. We like the holistic methods/remedies too about things if at all possible. We also believe in God & pray as well. (We also heard how the vaccine changes one's DNA.) We prefer to wait longer & see how things go, then see.

If one of us HAD to take the vaccine due to work, which is the main serious reason I can think of to maybe have to actually do it...yes, it's tough when someone in the same household doesn't agree.

So, does she work at home (WAH) or something where it's up to HER whether she takes the vaccine herself or not OR will she just quit if her job makes her take the vaccine? Not everyone has that WAH luxury, so it's tough.

My aunt & cousin, who didn't want to take it either all this time now are thinking of maybe taking it for (mandatory) work purposes. (My aunt can afford to not work anymore because she's been retired from a city job for 40+ yrs long ago & her current job's been her fun job to keep busy.)

Have you seen if you can just take a COVID test & as long as you do that regularly & show proof that you're negative, then is that fine w/ your work? I guess for actual travel, you must vaccinate, right?

Well, unless you can afford to quit OR get another job that doesn't require vaccination, you should both pray about it (as you should be anyway) & I guess if you really have to vaccinate, then so be it & your wife should just pray & God will pull you both through.
Thanks for the thoughts. I agree that prayer is the answer.

Neither of us have to take the vaccine. Our jobs don't require it. My comment to her was if I end up having to travel a lot because of my work I would highly consider getting the vaccine because of having to be stuffed around people at a busy airport. Just makes sense to consider it moreso then. Right now its not really a consideration as we both WFH.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This. It isn't just about the vaccine. Although OP you still seem to be questioning. Once you have made up your mind about the vaccine one way or another, you should be able to live with whatever you choose without it being a relationship issue. As long as you are not sure what you want your wife will pressure you and try to sell you on not getting it. Please do not get it and hide it from her, you are in counseling for a reason.
Excellent point here and thanks, I will bring it up next Tuesday (next appointment with the counselor).

Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think that you should remind your wife that part of loving one another is accepting individual differences. You seemingly have accepted, or at least have gone along to get along with many of her newer mind changes....i.e. diet, etc. She should do the same for you regarding your beliefs...or mindsets.

I personally am a bit afraid after hearing so many conspiracy theories of taking the vaccine, however I am going to get it, after talking to my doctor and other professionals. So, I get both sides of your couples disagreement.

Ask her, and yourself, why you didn't have to go to therapy when she had a change of heart...But it seems like you are because you are trying to follow your beliefs. I believe she is not as willing as you to meet you half way. Good luck to you
That is my take as well. I've bended for sure. I was reluctant about the way we eat change but am completely on board- I'd say it took me a few years , but for 5-7 years I've been on board.

See my note about why she is so passionant about this-- she doesn't want me take it because of the fear that it could kill me or some other reason that-- make me sick, leave me with unintended consequences, etc.

I will say there is another issue she doesn't bend on-- for example, I'm a news junkie. She doesn't want to watch the news because its depressing they are pushing the vaccine, etc. That's what I'll bring up to the counselor next week. I used to enjoy watching it with her.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:32 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
If you want the vaccine, you should get it. I think that sensible people are getting it. I’ve listened to the anti vaccers, like Simone Gold, and they have nothing but theories....no scientific proof. Have you ever read the possible side effects of ANY medicine? They all have them, yet the medicines save lives every day.

I can see a situation in the future in which you have immunity and your wife doesn’t, when folks are taking vacations again, and dining in restaurants, and you can’t because of her.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:46 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
See my note about why she is so passionant about this-- she doesn't want me take it because of the fear that it could kill me or some other reason that-- make me sick, leave me with unintended consequences, etc.
What your wife doesn't understand is that COVID-19 is far more likely to kill you or leave with permanent damage to your body than the vaccine is. There is no "safe" choice. There is only less risky (vaccine) versus more risky (COVID-19). Safe isn't on the table.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:51 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawnyoucandobetter View Post
You want to combat intelligence? I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, nor am I anti vaccine, but, aside from the altering DNA/RNA paranoia, which comes from a lack of knowledge, she's being wise. The vaccine was rushed, it's new, there will be unforeseen effects, hence the link below. I'm taking the wait and see approach for the exact same reason. I'm health conscience and don't want to risk the small chance I'd have a reaction. When the vaccines have been around a while, and the kinks ironed out, I'll take it. Seeing as my IQ has been between 130 and 140 all four times I've tested, I'm confident in my thought process. Perhaps you should be asking why you're so willing to blindly do what you're told while? It's all about nuance and context. Flu shot? Get it. HPV vaccine? Get it. Novel, rushed vaccine? Be a guinea pig if you want.
If you think being a Guinea pig for the vaccine is bad, I can tell you from experience being a guinea pig for Covid is a million times worse. One has scientific control around it, one doesn’t.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:53 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Sorry, but that is incorrect. The COVID-19 vaccine is mRNA-driven. It just gives your immune system something to respond to. it does not have the capability of entering the cell nucleus. That's so not the point.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ines/mrna.html

FWIW, I'm a church-going Protestant living in the south with an 20 year career in biological sciences (though admittedly not immunology).
This. You don't become a banana when you eat a banana, even though your body technically takes in the banana's DNA. You're still you. I think some people are getting freaked out because the science is too far above their heads.

OP, you should definitely get the shot. I would also keep encouraging her to get it, as what happens to one person in the marriage can have serious consequences for the other (i.e. if I don't get vaccinated and get very sick or have long-term health effects from covid, that impacts my husband.)

Also, sometimes I am afraid of a medical procedure I need and my husband brings me around to the sensibleness of it in time. The great thing about having two heads in a relationship is that when one person is too close to a problem or feeling too emotionally connected to it, the other person can give them perspective. Just like your wife had some great ideas with helping you get healthier with your IBS and better eating/gluten free and YOU listened, that can work both ways and I think in this instance (especially if you two are old enough to have kids who are past the age of their vaccines--so you might be in a higher risk category), it might be good for you to push a little and help her really examine the science on this one and see that while there is risk in everything in life, she's likely at more risk if she contracts covid.

My two cents!

Old 04-07-2021, 07:59 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Quote:
Fair points. Help me out here though as I guess I’m still trying to learn— did herd immunity get rid of polio originally? Or did it take a vaccine to eradicate it? On that note, from what I recall reading herd immunity got rid of the Spanish flu in 1918? Is that accurate?
I could be wrong but believe herd immunity applied to the Spanish flu and a vaccine eradicated polio. I once read that once the vaccine for polio was developed, its formula was contracted out to a outfit on the west coast who produced several thousand doses for those in that area and it turned out faulty. Apparently the vaccine contained live virus and many people contracted polio. That was a lesson learned and never repeated on that scale again.

I will add the my wife and I received the vaccine yesterday. I thought my wife would refuse to take the vaccine but she did without argument. I would get the shot. Perhaps down the road your wife will too.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:05 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You get the shot. She does not. End of story. It isn't that hard
I agree, he should just get if that what he want to do.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:24 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
That is my take as well. I've bended for sure. I was reluctant about the way we eat change but am completely on board- I'd say it took me a few years , but for 5-7 years I've been on board.

I will say there is another issue she doesn't bend on-- for example, I'm a news junkie. She doesn't want to watch the news because its depressing they are pushing the vaccine, etc. That's what I'll bring up to the counselor next week. I used to enjoy watching it with her.
OP, this is irrational. Catching the virus has those potential consequences, too. Why is she discounting that?

That is strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships