Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 11:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,193,928 times

Advertisements

Hello god bless and good day. As a single male in his 50’s, I’ve been on many dating sites. I seem to find the same things often. Now I’m far from perfect, and I’m just a lowly human being full of flaws. But I’m a really cool, nice guy whose always been regard that way be peers in life. Big when it comes to
online dating, I rarely have luck. Never have actually.

People seem too picky even in their 50’s and 60’s.

People seem to mainly be concerned about what you do for a living. Even at an advanced age.

Nobody seems to respond much to my ads that emphasize heart and soul and inner substance. So I usually delete those descriptions due to a lack of response.

I’m an avid weightlifter with a good build, in my 50’s I look younger. but only experience rejection online.

When I mention a construction background, I often don’t hear back from folks when I tell them that.

God bless all, but there’s got to a better way to meet folks. Any feedback on this. Curious. Thanks. Blessings.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 08-19-2021 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 12:12 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,064,180 times
topic has been done to death, do a search in this Relationships forum.

if I send 100 msgs, 90 msgs get No Response.
Of the 10 who "match":
5 will never write back even though we matched / mutual right swipe.

3 will write back 1-2-3 times and then mysterously never reply again. Doesnt matter if you come on slow and smooth or hard and fast or sexy or clever or wordy or funny.

1 will turn into an eWife-ePenpal who will write you in txt and email... you might even talk on the phone. You will learn their cat's birthday, their sisters name, all their dietary and musical preferences. But for some reason, they will never agree to meet you in real life.

1 will go for the in-real-life meet. Then it becomes a completely different game.

So 1 in a 100, or 1% successful response rate. I have years of data to backup my conclusions.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:46 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,042,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Hello god bless and good day. As a single male in his 50’s, I’ve been on many dating sites. I seem to find the same things often. Now I’m far from perfect, and I’m just a lowly human being full of flaws. But I’m a really cool, nice guy whose always been regard that way be peers in life. Big when it comes to

People seem to mainly be concerned about what you do for a living. Even at an advanced age.

Nobody seems to respond much to my ads that emphasize heart and soul and inner substance. So I usually delete those descriptions due to a lack of response.

I’m an avid weightlifter with a good build, in my 50’s I look younger. but only experience rejection online.

When I mention a construction background, I often don’t hear back from folks when I tell them that.

God bless all, but there’s got to a better way to meet folks. Any feedback on this. Curious. Thanks. Blessings.
This is the nature of online dating. You have a better chance at a real life encounter with a better looking woman at your gym than same average jane online.

You see, chances are the women that are ignoring you online, usually wouldn't do so had they met you in real life.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:03 AM

761 posts, read 454,045 times
I think all you can do is be your natural self and if it's meant to be, the right partner will come along and they will appreciate you. Personally I would rather wait for that right one than waste time dating the wrong one filled with disappointment and drama as exhibited by posters on this board.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:38 AM

102,250 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post

It's interesting about the construction background. I know several women, some in your age-range, that are university professors, real estate agents, engineers, or in banking, who are with guys who are in construction. Most of these guys are "independent contractors", fwiw. They're with these guys for their personalities, the kinds of things you list in your self-description but later delete, not for their profession or earning power. The ladies are perfectly self-sufficient economically, so they don't need a guy to be a high earner.

Maybe the women who fade out when they find out you're in construction are women looking for a meal ticket. That's the only thing I can guess of the info you present, if your own conclusion you draw is accurate.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
This is the nature of online dating. You have a better chance at a real life encounter with a better looking woman at your gym than same average jane online.

You see, chances are the women that are ignoring you online, usually wouldn't do so had they met you in real life.
Yup. Now, what are you doing, OP, to meet women IRL, "in the wild", so to speak?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:21 AM

6,892 posts, read 4,908,641 times
I have no idea what you say about yourself online, but as soon as I saw what you said about yourself being an avid weight lifter and looking younger than your age, I immediately thought.....oh, one of those.

The thing is, at least in my opinion, it's great to exercise and stay healthy, but the people that announce these things come across as self centered. I can just see you looking in the mirror, flexing, looking some more in the mirror, like you are the center of the universe. This may not be the case at all, but it's the image I am getting.

Women appreciate a fit body, but we don't want an empty shell. What sort of heart, soul, and inner substance do you have? How do you demonstrate that? What do you participate in that can give an example?

Women can see what you look like from your photo. What kind of construction? Roofer, drywall installer, contractor, road construction? Construction is underrated by a lot of people. Men that have the skills to do things should be appreciated. :-). But if a woman is a professional she is most likely looking for another professional.

As someone else said, you might do better in real life. Perhaps you could put your construction skills to work in a voluntary capacity somewhere. But if you are going to do volunteer work make sure it's something you are interested in. Try taking some art classes for fun. Take a zumba class or yoga class if your gym offers them. They are mostly women. Go 10 minutes early. Eventually, not necessarily the first couple weeks, women will start talking to you.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post

As someone else said, you might do better in real life. Perhaps you could put your construction skills to work in a voluntary capacity somewhere. But if you are going to do volunteer work make sure it's something you are interested in. Try taking some art classes for fun. Take a zumba class or yoga class if your gym offers them. They are mostly women. Go 10 minutes early. Eventually, not necessarily the first couple weeks, women will start talking to you.
Great idea! Women volunteer for Habitat For Humanity, as well as men. (You'd be surprised how many women have some construction or carpentry skills, and experience doing their own home-improvement projects. )

Ditto re: the gym classes. Also, the OP lives in Seattle (and posts on that forum here), so he could join groups that do Tai Chi or Chi Gong in the city parks. Those attract a variety of people, men as well as women. I recall a certain Dr. Wang, on lower University Way, who leads those classes in Ravenna Park on Saturdays... He was popular with a young crowd when I lived there, but may now have older groups, too. He's still there.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:33 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,193,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I have no idea what you say about yourself online, but as soon as I saw what you said about yourself being an avid weight lifter and looking younger than your age, I immediately thought.....oh, one of those.

The thing is, at least in my opinion, it's great to exercise and stay healthy, but the people that announce these things come across as self centered. I can just see you looking in the mirror, flexing, looking some more in the mirror, like you are the center of the universe. This may not be the case at all, but it's the image I am getting.

Women appreciate a fit body, but we don't want an empty shell. What sort of heart, soul, and inner substance do you have? How do you demonstrate that? What do you participate in that can give an example?

Women can see what you look like from your photo. What kind of construction? Roofer, drywall installer, contractor, road construction? Construction is underrated by a lot of people. Men that have the skills to do things should be appreciated. :-). But if a woman is a professional she is most likely looking for another professional.

Yea I hear that. Truth is I mention nothing about thy gym in my ads. I just mention I like working out along with other interests. You can tell by looking at my photos though that I work out. But it is not emphasized at all in my bio. But I do see how certain women might think ego. Here’s the thing. I emphasize inner substance and heart being highly important to me because I’m a deep rooted guy. A bit unique. Yet when I write that, I get hardly any responses. When I delete those sentences, and keep things light, and more material works surface level centered, I’ll get a few more responses then normal. Here’s the other odd thing, I only mainly receive responses or only hear back from women often with 3 to 5 children. Or they are much older then me, and look it. Or they are the least attractive ladies on the whole site, or they are obese, very overweight individuals. They’re all gods children, better people then me even, but I’m not remotely attracted to most of the people who respond to me. Now why is that that I don’t hear from the more fit ladies like myself? And why is is that when I emphasize that heart and substance are important to me, I get zero responses? Lastly, in ones 50’s and 60’s shy do women seemingly still place “ what do you do for a living” above everything else? Is this the norm in America maybe? That even into our 70’s we still want to place “ so what do you do for a living?“ above all else in our lives? And why do women shy away from ads that mention soul and inner substance being important to me? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships