Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 08:41 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times

Advertisements

My BF doesn't like the word "love" because he was badly hurt in the past. He never says he loves me, and in some ways he keeps a distance. But in some ways, he seems very loving.

So we don't use the word "love." I don't know if that even matters. We are both over 65 and neither of us wants to get married. We don't want to be entangled financially, and we don't want to be together all the time. We both need a lot of space.

We like doing certain things together, and we communicate almost every day. It has been about 6 or 7 months so far.

We are opposites in some ways, but we have some things in common.

I think he is actually making an effort to not love me, and maybe he is afraid of being abandoned like he was in the past. I am also trying to not love him too much. I think maybe it's ok to keep some distance from each other, and just let things turn out however it's supposed to eventually.

I don't care about having a relationship. I got involved with him because for some unknown reason I love him. And I guess maybe I do like having a close affectionate relationship, which we do have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 09:03 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Is there a question in here somewhere?

Old 08-21-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Is there a question in here somewhere?
I am wondering if he and I are settling for a less than ideal relationship. Or if, on the other hand, this is an ideal relationship for an older couple that doesn't want too much togetherness.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:15 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
My BF doesn't like the word "love" because he was badly hurt in the past. He never says he loves me, and in some ways he keeps a distance. But in some ways, he seems very loving.

So we don't use the word "love." I don't know if that even matters. We are both over 65 and neither of us wants to get married. We don't want to be entangled financially, and we don't want to be together all the time. We both need a lot of space.

We like doing certain things together, and we communicate almost every day. It has been about 6 or 7 months so far.

I think he is actually making an effort to not love me, and maybe he is afraid of being abandoned like he was in the past. I am also trying to not love him too much. I think maybe it's ok to keep some distance from each other, and just let things turn out however it's supposed to eventually.

I don't care about having a relationship. I got involved with him because for some unknown reason I love him. And I guess maybe I do like having a close affectionate relationship, which we do have.
Everyone needs a partner. There are as many types of partnerships as there are people and you have found one that works for you.
I have seen every type of partnership imaginable and so have you, I imagine. Don't be afraid to call each other "my partner" even though you do not live together. I recently read the obituary of a girl I had a crush on back in high school. She had children, it said, and she "leaves a partner of 27 years". She died at age 68.
"Partner". To me, it has a very pleasant ring to it.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:44 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Maybe it's just the way he is as a person.

I myself feel still feel very uncomfortable using the word "love." I can't even say it to my mom, it makes me feel uneasy. Never told any of my previous girlfriends "I love you" either. I suppose there was love in my relationships, it just wasn't the "lovey dovey" kind.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

Lots of rationalization packed in this post.

Don't you deserve better in life?

Old 08-21-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I could search the world over for the "perfect" relationship. Or I could have a nice friendship with a guy who just hates the word "love." For good reasons, by the way.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I think the OP's description of the relationship makes the relationship sound quite good and enjoyable.

I don't understand the critique of 'Don't you deserve better in life?' at all.

I see nothing in the relationship to criticize or diminish.

It sounds enjoyable and both are seniors over age 65 who desire companionship - which can be hard to come by as a senior.

To the OP - I think 6 or 7 months together is way too soon to be saying 'I love you' - people can be together for years without saying 'I love you'. It's not really necessary at all. If the relationship is enjoyable and companionship is accomplished, being in love is not necessary nor is saying 'I love you'.

Also one can enjoy the other person without loving the person or being in love - and the relationship is definitely still worthwhile. Especially being over 65, as you describe you two - when meeting someone compatible and meeting someone to provide companionship can be not an easy task.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think the OP's description of the relationship makes the relationship sound quite good and enjoyable.

I don't understand the critique of 'Don't you deserve better in life?' at all.

I see nothing in the relationship to criticize or diminish.

It sounds enjoyable and both are seniors ver age 65 who desire companionship - which can be hard to come by as a senior.

To the OP - I think 6 or 7 months together is way too soon to be saying 'I love you' - people can be together for years without saying 'I love you'. It's not really necessary at all. If the relationship is enjoyable and companionship is accomplished, being in love is not necessary nor is saying 'I love you'.

Also one can enjoy the other person without loving the person or being in love - and the relationship is definitely still worthwhile. Especially being over 65, as you describe you two - when meeting someone compatible and meeting someone to provide companionship can be not an easy task.
I agree. I shouldn't worry about whether he loves me or not, especially at this early stage. He acts loving.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Maybe it's just the way he is as a person.

I myself feel still feel very uncomfortable using the word "love." I can't even say it to my mom, it makes me feel uneasy. Never told any of my previous girlfriends "I love you" either. I suppose there was love in my relationships, it just wasn't the "lovey dovey" kind.
Love is a word with many meanings. I think if we have physical affection, and we like doing things together, that's a kind of love. Even if he doesn't want to use the word. I know I am not his ideal woman -- his ideal would be a 24 year old fashion model. But he knows he can't get that. And he wants someone he can talk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships