Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times

Advertisements

The reason why I ask is because I go into bookstores very often to check out the newest mags. I notice there are tons of mags about- weddings and brides in the womens section but I never see one mag about weddings and grooms in the mens section.

Also, when I mention that I really am not interested in marriage, it's always the women that respond with curiousity as to why I don't plan on getting married. Guys never ask why, heck I don't think guys care about it as much as women do.

Have women been conditioned to believe in marriage moreso than guys?

Give your 100% honest opinions guys and gals. BE HONEST(ladies)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Marriage and weddings are two different things.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
Good point, but I think you follow what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Marriage and weddings are two different things.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,229 times
There's an old saying:
There are three rings in marriage:
The engagement ring,
The wedding ring,
And the suffering.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
a psychologist said this on the Today show the other day:
women as little girls have dreams about being a bride and having a wedding.
guys just dream about having sex.

so just remember what you were like when you wanted your first time to happen. you were excited and couldnt wait, and just wanted that experience.
that is how women feel about weddings.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
a psychologist said this on the Today show the other day:
women as little girls have dreams about being a bride and having a wedding.
guys just dream about having sex.

so just remember what you were like when you wanted your first time to happen. you were excited and couldnt wait, and just wanted that experience.
that is how women feel about weddings.
not all of us.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,393 times
You have made an excellent observation and call it brainwashed or pressure from society women do look at "marriage" differently. Women give birth to the children - marriage is sort of like saying "we will raise these kids together" or maybe it use to be! A guy can have a new "girlfriend" every week and be called a stud, but a woman that has a new "boyfriend" every week is judged poorly and called a - well judged poorly.

Look at the fairy tales told to young girls - Prince Charming to her rescue. Girls are shown by all the ads that you need to be thin and beautiful - attractive to males. You never hear them saying "look good while you learn advanced math". How many creams are there marketed to males? Getting married may well be like scoring for a girl - she has a man. Of course we all know that what comes next hasn't been covered very well by marketing.

I've been married - since grade school it seems!! Raised a beautiful intelligent daughter that I convinced to wait until she was thirty to marry. Other Mom's use to say how sorry they were for her and how they thought she would be one of the first married since she was so beautiful. LOL Now I have a college fund for my Grand daughter that she won't get a dime of if she doesn't use it for college. She is a total fashion diva and I love to shop with her but I reward her grades not her good looks.

So that is my honesty. If for any reason my marriage ends - I will never marry again since I will never have any more children. If you aren't going to have children - marriage could well be optional. Being honest is the important thing and knowing what you want.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
I think some are, I know I was. I had a totally unrealistic idea of marriage. Totally unrealistic expectations. Of course now I have grown up enough, gone through enough that I have a better idea.

However I do believe that the environment I was raised in, the religion, the home all of that contributed to my illusions.

I also think that some of the old fashioned ideas that were rampant in my family, a woman was supposed to just take whatever the man did to her, the woman was subserviant and so forth made things even worse. I rebelled at that idea but never knew how to go about finding and maintaining an equal, supportive relationship. It wasn't that way in my home, my Mother was the doormat. All women in our family were. All that did for me was to make me incredibly angry.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:14 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,386 times
I personally do not care about a big wedding, it's a waste of money and doesn't guarantee that your marriage will last. I would rather have that money sitting in a bank account accruing interest or stocks or whatever.

Last edited by tkdmom; 05-15-2008 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 09:19 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
People are so focused on money anymore. There are some things more priceless than any money. Someone who loves you is priceless. I don't have that. I would find it priceless. I mean love...really love, yeah, and the sex too, some of us women really DO want that and fantasized about it since our early years.
Love is something you cannot buy, and it seems if we turn off the TV, radio, get rid of the media, magazines, newspapers, and not listen to those talking heads, we can find more of what we want in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships