Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times

Advertisements

I'm with the other poster that said tell. I'd definitely want to know if my fiance was doing that to me, so yes, I'd tell. I'm of the mind that honesty is the best policy even if it means someone gets hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
no no no no no
do NOT tell, not your business, just stirs up more trouble

because when people tell me crap like that, i have to wonder what's their motive?
and usually it's about gossip and meanness
no one wants to hear "your honeybunch is a selfish as*wipe" even if it is true

they have to find that out for themself
because otherwise you just look like someone who's out to sling dirt and destroy a relationship

i lost a really good friendship over someone telling me just that
yes, she was right, but it was not her place to tell me, i needed to find that out on my own, and i did
but i also could not tolearate having a "friend" who took it upon herself to try to break us up

Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
I have to agree with Dim... although the best thing would be to tell your friend that their SO had an affair with someone... it would (normally does) backfire and affect your friendship with them. How many people here like to have advice given to them only to turn around and say "hey that was pretty harsh, I was just asking for advise".

A lot of people tend to "think" they want advise but in the long run would rather have not heard it. Telling someone that their SO had an affair with someone else can only get crap happening and then your friend blames "you" for their relationship falling apart. "If you hadnt told me that she/he was having an affair I would never have known about it. It is your fault I no longer have a GF/BF." You essentially get the blame for the break up..

Zip your lip.. sooner or later the truth shall be seen!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM

53 posts, read 157,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Just found out my friend's girlfriend had sex with my other buddy. Although they both really don't know eachother (two separate groups of friends). Would you guys tell your friend if his girl cheated on him or would you just keep it from him?
hell yeah. and you should too because if he finds out on his own and then finds out that you knew and didn't tell him he'll freak. you're his friend, you're supposed to have his back. if he blows up in your face, give him proof.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:20 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
If you tell, you could conceivably lose both your friends.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 AM

53 posts, read 157,360 times
that's true. if you do it right, you might only lose one, or none.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:17 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,688 times
I would say tell! People who care about people do not cheat and if my friend (or myself) was getting into a relationship with a person who cheated, I would want to know before I took the plunge and got married to that person.

I do like the advice of the person who said print it off and stash it somewhere, so that you aren't the messenger who gets killed. If they mention the note, just act like you don't know a thing!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
If you tell, you could conceivably lose both your friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYR13 View Post
that's true. if you do it right, you might only lose one, or none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
i lost a really good friendship over someone telling me just that
yes, she was right, but it was not her place to tell me, i needed to find that out on my own, and i did
but i also could not tolearate having a "friend" who took it upon herself to try to break us up
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I have to agree with Dim... although the best thing would be to tell your friend that their SO had an affair with someone... it would (normally does) backfire and affect your friendship with them.
*drumroll*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Print out an anonymous message in wordpad that just says something like 'she cheated on you with so-and-so last week.' Then tear that part off so it's just a small strip of paper, and leave it in his mailbox or somewhere he'll find it. Then he won't 'kill the messenger' so to speak, and he will know the truth but not know who divulged it. If they ever work through the cheating and get back together, they won't both hate you, because they don't know it's you.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
*drumroll*
Agreed.

Either:

mind your own business
or
let him know anonymously

Do you really want the drama of getting involved? And yes, long ago, I lost a friend b/c I told her that her bf was cheating. For some reason she stayed with him and decided I was the one who was causing problems/tearing them apart. You don't want to get in the middle of someone elses mess unless you love drama

Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
To the OP: I'm wondering how you know. This information may already be floating around. You may not have to say anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships