Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:15 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

Is it good to have a rough around the edges personality when it comes to getting together with friends, I tend to relate well to those who has a rough around the edges personality and I can understand to where they're coming from.

I do think I have a bit of a rough around the edges personality but I always try to be nice, polite and respectful towards the people I'm around, there are also times when I can have a personality like a crackhead who is high on crack (no I don't do crack) but I do want people to think of me as a cool person who ended up becoming a stronger person for going through a string of turmoils and bad situations in the past.

People do admire me for taking the good with the bad and to take situations and turmoils as a learning experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Is it good to have a rough around the edges personality when it comes to getting together with friends, I tend to relate well to those who has a rough around the edges personality and I can understand to where they're coming from.

I do think I have a bit of a rough around the edges personality but I always try to be nice, polite and respectful towards the people I'm around, there are also times when I can have a personality like a crackhead who is high on crack (no I don't do crack) but I do want people to think of me as a cool person who ended up becoming a stronger person for going through a string of turmoils and bad situations in the past.

People do admire me for taking the good with the bad and to take situations and turmoils as a learning experience.
I don't know if I would consider having a "rough around the edges personality" as being a good thing... but more importantly just be yourself and find others that like you for who you are. Not everyone is going to like your personality, but we all are in the same boat in terms of not having a universally likable personality.

So just be yourself, but also be aware that not everyone is going to like your personality and graciously them alone.

And if you really like someone that happens to seem offended by you, you might then consider toning down your approach with them. I'm guessing that part of being "rough around the edges" means being outspoken and not being afraid of "being in their face" and I think that many might get tired of that kind of interaction with you 24/7. So use a little empathy too, along with being true to yourself.

Life is full of compromises, it's not a bad thing but more a result of there being so many human beings on this planet. We all have our likes and dislikes, and when we all interact, we're bound to clash a little.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
No not a personality but a rough around the edges attitude could be helpful at times.

I'm generally peaceful and friendly. At times I give abrasive lectures and can set boundaries in an abrasive fashion. Other times I am somewhat demanding. There is no perfect person!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't know if I would consider having a "rough around the edges personality" as being a good thing... but more importantly just be yourself and find others that like you for who you are. Not everyone is going to like your personality, but we all are in the same boat in terms of not having a universally likable personality.

So just be yourself, but also be aware that not everyone is going to like your personality and graciously them alone.

And if you really like someone that happens to seem offended by you, you might then consider toning down your approach with them. I'm guessing that part of being "rough around the edges" means being outspoken and not being afraid of "being in their face" and I think that many might get tired of that kind of interaction with you 24/7. So use a little empathy too, along with being true to yourself.

Life is full of compromises, it's not a bad thing but more a result of there being so many human beings on this planet. We all have our likes and dislikes, and when we all interact, we're bound to clash a little.

I am pretty opened with how people feel about my attitude and personality and if they feel that I'm going too far with my personality I will try to tone it down, I am a really nice person who is easy to get along with and I do want to enjoy myself and feel grateful for what I've accomplished in life.

Sometimes I do have the tendency of telling people what I've gone through in life and try to be cool and humorous over the situation to let people know that I'm not angry over the situations I've gone through and that I'm taking it as a learning experience.

I know there are alot of people who don't like me but I do try to accept the fact that not everybody likes a certain person.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:34 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Yeah...I agree. Just be who you are, and I can relate to becoming friends with people who seem"rough around the edges." That seems to be the only friends who I attract, whom are "rough around the edges," but they also are good people.
No worries.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No not a personality but a rough around the edges attitude could be helpful at times.

I'm generally peaceful and friendly. At times I give abrasive lectures and can set boundaries in an abrasive fashion. Other times I am somewhat demanding. There is no perfect person!
For the most part I do try to be easygoing, polite and laid back towards people and I can be a bit of a storyteller when I'm telling people stories about the experiences I've gone through in my life, the one thing what I don't like to deal with is conflict and I try to avoid conflict as much as possible.

I am also really friendly and easy to get along with and I do want people to know where I have came from and what I've gone through and to let them know that things could've been alot worse than what they've turned out to be.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Yeah...I agree. Just be who you are, and I can relate to becoming friends with people who seem"rough around the edges." That seems to be the only friends who I attract, whom are "rough around the edges," but they also are good people.
No worries.

I am from a working class family and I can relate very well to those who seem rough around the edges and deep inside I know they are really good people and sometimes they can be alot of fun to be around cause you have a good understanding of where they're coming from.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I am from a working class family and I can relate very well to those who seem rough around the edges and deep inside I know they are really good people and sometimes they can be alot of fun to be around cause you have a good understanding of where they're coming from.

Yeah....my husband tells me that all of my friends are "*******," but he doesn`t REALLY know them. They mean well, but they are tough, or even rough around the edges, and come across as *******, but I am sure that they have had it rough, and don`t want to expose themselves, openly.
I can definetly relate. I have a Mom who is similiar in personality.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Yeah....my husband tells me that all of my friends are "*******," but he doesn`t REALLY know them. They mean well, but they are tough, or even rough around the edges, and come across as *******, but I am sure that they have had it rough, and don`t want to expose themselves, openly.
I can definetly relate. I have a Mom who is similiar in personality.
There were some people who I was friends with back in high school who alot of people didn't like cause they thought that they were a bunch of snobby and stuck up ******* and I've later realized that they were right and there were some people who thought I was a little obnoxious cause of all the years I've gotten snubbed off and treated like crap from the people who I thought were my friends and I didn't always have it good in life.

I do try to be goofy and to make the most out of my life knowing that things could've been alot worse for me, I am open with telling people what I've been through and how I was able to stay on the right path in life and I do tend to get a little obnoxious about it but I do try to be well meaning about it.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
There were some people who I was friends with back in high school who alot of people didn't like cause they thought that they were a bunch of snobby and stuck up ******* and I've later realized that they were right and there were some people who thought I was a little obnoxious cause of all the years I've gotten snubbed off and treated like crap from the people who I thought were my friends and I didn't always have it good in life.

I do try to be goofy and to make the most out of my life knowing that things could've been alot worse for me, I am open with telling people what I've been through and how I was able to stay on the right path in life and I do tend to get a little obnoxious about it but I do try to be well meaning about it.

I think that everyone has a personality...if it comes across bitchy, or rough around the edges, then...if you don`t like it, walk away. Otherwise, either this individual is really a *****, or maybe they have had trauma in their life, and thats how they deal with everyday, people...and life.
If you choose to take the time to get to know them, or not, thats your choice, but we have no room to judge the outside of someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships