Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 10:31 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
Congratulations to you all, you really did an excellent job scaring him away. With your preaching and scolding.
He is only 22, just finished college, moved to Texas for his first job. How old are you all that you cannot understand how he feels? Why should he continue to stay here, he gets this reprimanding and bickering from his parents in abundance, congrats again.
The advice from his parents and people on this board come from a place of seeing the real life train wrecks they or people they care about have created in their lives--usually in their teens and early 20s. People often pay for decades or even the rest of their lives for the train wrecks they created in their youth. The biggest one being kids at the wrong time/with wrong partner (or both), the 2nd biggest being substance abuse issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 10:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And, bearing in mind that their preferred weekend activity is drinking at bars, sometimes for hours, what do the statistics say about the condom failure rate after bar binges?

OP, news bulletin: it's not enough to just put it on. You have to make sure it 1) stays on, and 2) doesn't break. You can't just put it on and forget about it.
To the bolded--hehe, yeah. Not a good combination.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:58 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
Congratulations to you all, you really did an excellent job scaring him away. With your preaching and scolding.
He is only 22, just finished college, moved to Texas for his first job. How old are you all that you cannot understand how he feels? Why should he continue to stay here, he gets this reprimanding and bickering from his parents in abundance, congrats again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
What is your better advice?

He came here for advice. He got it. No one is guaranteed to get the "advice" they want to hear, no matter whom or where they ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Getting drunk isn't harmless.
You all really just either made fun of him or made it seems like he is an addict or about to be a complete loser.

He is 22, went to college, got a job, a future, and got all his ducks in a row. If he wants to party, let the kid party!

Getting drunk at 22 is most likely harmless, yes!!! He will probably grow out of it like most people.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:31 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,047,911 times
You actually say that she likes to "get all pretty and go out and get drunk on Friday, Saturday and Sunday." She's 28 years old and has some serious issues. A little immature I would say, for someone to deliberately "get drunk" the entire weekend. There is a big difference in a woman that will have a couple of drinks and be responsible than a party animal that doesn't care how drunk she gets or what she says or does while under the influence.

I'm pretty sure her partying lifestyle has landed her right in your lap and you family is probably right.

However, if you choose to continue to date her just tell your family to leave you alone about it. If they don't then do what you're doing, just ignore them. I am willing to bet though, that you will not be dating this girl very long. Something is bound to happen and it's not going to be pretty.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:31 PM

686 posts, read 300,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You all really just either made fun of him or made it seems like he is an addict or about to be a complete loser.

He is 22, went to college, got a job, a future, and got all his ducks in a row. If he wants to party, let the kid party!

Getting drunk at 22 is most likely harmless, yes!!! He will probably grow out of it like most people.

Precisely, Oh-Eve, he accomplished already a lot in his life, college graduate at 22 and got a job in Texas, let him have fun for a while with a gorgeous woman to his taste, who is envied by so many!!

Old 05-11-2022, 03:57 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Yeah could be. Though our family was against my brother marrying a woman 7 years older. He married her. He was divorced after about a year because she would throw things at him , and even broke a coffee mug over his head which covered the bathroom with blood. He had to leave because he would end up in jail for being beaten.. They ended up with one child so he had to pay child support for 16 years. She took him to another state and he followed so he could visit on week ends after a 2 hour drive. it was only 16 years because the child committed suicide.

So, ya know, sometimes the family can be right.
Key word in all of this is sometimes and that leaves much room for:

So, ya know, sometimes the family isn't right.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Here’s my advice as a mom and grandma and former young woman:

Go slow in this relationship

DO NOT GET HER PREGNANT

Don’t abuse alcohol.

At some point, try to have a serious conversation about something important to you. Pay attention to what she says.

And again, go slow.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:19 AM

2,108 posts, read 1,047,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHorizonsNow View Post
I'm 22 and my new girlfriend is 28. Her name's Callie. She's sweet, gorgeous, spontaneous, sexy, fun, just a blast to be around. She's much different from my usual type. In the past, I've always dated the quiet, sweet girls who opted to stay in on Friday nights and talk as opposed to going out to bars or parties. With Callie, Friday night, Saturday, sometimes Sundays, she wants to get all pretty, go out, get drunk, get silly, post on Instagram, the whole 9 yards. She's got a small tattoo, I now have 2 small tattoos.

My family believes I've changed for the worst & that Callie isn't good for me. They think I've been brainwashed so to speak & want me to stop and think about why a fun, independently wealthy, gorgeous 28 year old is not only single, but why she's dating a 22 year old, only months removed from college graduation. Their theory is that everyone her age sees an obvious red flag that I don't see and that Callie is taking advantage of me.

I finally got sick of endless texts & calls asking me to basically dump her, so, I'm no longer answering texts & calls.

I just want them to love her and accept her.

How do I make that happen?
Your age of 22 is showing in your telling us about how she likes to go to parties and bars, get drunk, etc. Now who wants to be around a drunk woman? She has tattoos so now you have some. She's fun, yes, but she's also a "party animal" and eventually it will cause problems with you, not so much your family.

If you're happy with her, just ignore the negative texts. However, if you feel that they are right, but are just enjoying her right now, you should do some really deep soul searching. Getting drunk for the sake of having "drunken fun" is not good, especially at your ages. Your family may very well be right; however, it is not their business.

Just tell them to stop. If they continue, change the subject and ignore the remarks until the point gets across.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:42 PM

2,977 posts, read 1,647,168 times
Wonder if New Horizons and his friend are still partying like it's 1999?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships