Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 1,800 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

New member here and wanted to say hi with a regrettably long post. Hope someone can relate and help.

My wife and I have been married nearly 11 years, together nearly 20 years. This is relevant to how ridiculous I think my issues may be to some.

I’m currently seeing a therapist in relation (initially) to feelings of retroactive/regressive jealousy.

The issue takes me back more than 19 years ago when my wife (then girlfriend) and I went on our first holiday together. One night we had an (admittedly ill-advised) conversation about our sexual pasts.

Now, when we got together I was 22 and she was 21. While I’d had limited sexual experience, I was a somewhat “late starter”. I’d only ever had very casual and limited sexual experience and was honest about this. She was also honest (I assume) and had a rather more extensive experience than I. This shouldn’t have bothered me, but it did. I had a very imature reaction to this and frankly she would have been justified in telling me to get over it or go to hell. She didn’t thankfully.

Realising what a tool I was being via the logical side of my brain, I buried it. Forgotten…… or so I thought.

Here I am, years down the line and these ridiculous, compulsive insecurities are cropping up again. Plagued with thoughts of how she had done intimate things with other men which we do, or indeed done things with them which we haven’t. It’s appalling and intrusive but it just wouldn’t stop.

Disturbed by the path I was taking, I booked in with a psychotherapist. I have since come to terms with the fact that my issues relate to me and my past. Me alone, not her, and I’m projecting me insecurity onto her.

Recently however it’s felt as though it’s worsening. My insecurities are spreading to the present and I find myself being preoccupied with thoughts of my wife’s fidelity and convincing myself that she will ultimately find someone better and leave me. I have no evidence to support my insecurities and no matter how much I apply the logic, the emotional illogical mess takes over.

I’m now concerned that my insecurities are smothering her, but don’t know what to do to address it. She hasn’t told me that I’m overbearing, but there is definitely more of a distance than there has been in the past and I feel it’s because I’m smothering her.

To make a long story short, do I ask her outright if I’m smothering her? And if so ask her if she needs space from me?

Ultimately, I know this is my issue, not hers. But don’t know how to proceed.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 05:33 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,554,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOnAQuest View Post
Hi folks,

New member here and wanted to say hi with a regrettably long post. Hope someone can relate and help.

My wife and I have been married nearly 11 years, together nearly 20 years. This is relevant to how ridiculous I think my issues may be to some.

I’m currently seeing a therapist in relation (initially) to feelings of retroactive/regressive jealousy.

The issue takes me back more than 19 years ago when my wife (then girlfriend) and I went on our first holiday together. One night we had an (admittedly ill-advised) conversation about our sexual pasts.

Now, when we got together I was 22 and she was 21. While I’d had limited sexual experience, I was a somewhat “late starter”. I’d only ever had very casual and limited sexual experience and was honest about this. She was also honest (I assume) and had a rather more extensive experience than I. This shouldn’t have bothered me, but it did. I had a very imature reaction to this and frankly she would have been justified in telling me to get over it or go to hell. She didn’t thankfully.

Realising what a tool I was being via the logical side of my brain, I buried it. Forgotten…… or so I thought.

Here I am, years down the line and these ridiculous, compulsive insecurities are cropping up again. Plagued with thoughts of how she had done intimate things with other men which we do, or indeed done things with them which we haven’t. It’s appalling and intrusive but it just wouldn’t stop.

Disturbed by the path I was taking, I booked in with a psychotherapist. I have since come to terms with the fact that my issues relate to me and my past. Me alone, not her, and I’m projecting me insecurity onto her.

Recently however it’s felt as though it’s worsening. My insecurities are spreading to the present and I find myself being preoccupied with thoughts of my wife’s fidelity and convincing myself that she will ultimately find someone better and leave me. I have no evidence to support my insecurities and no matter how much I apply the logic, the emotional illogical mess takes over.

I’m now concerned that my insecurities are smothering her, but don’t know what to do to address it. She hasn’t told me that I’m overbearing, but there is definitely more of a distance than there has been in the past and I feel it’s because I’m smothering her.

To make a long story short, do I ask her outright if I’m smothering her? And if so ask her if she needs space from me?

Thoughts?

Thanks
What did your psychotherapist have to say about this? I would follow that lead instead of asking random strangers on the internet.

It's nice to see that you have taken measures to learn and grow from your insecurities. It seems like you need more therapy to get beyond these feelings you're projecting onto you wife.

Old 02-13-2022, 05:44 PM

20,269 posts, read 13,664,069 times
I don't know from your post how you are behaving toward your wife that you think she's being "smothered". Are you needy, clingy, or demanding / controlling in some way? Objectivey? If not ... then she's a big girl, she can tell you if she needs space. Don't give her ideas. Focus on your therapy. You're to be applauded for getting help and recognizing that you're projecting.

Old 02-13-2022, 05:47 PM

5,989 posts, read 10,511,548 times
If you think you may be smothering her, you probably are. What behaviors of yours seem to be responsible. I can only suggest that you be aware of the tendency, note when you are about to do or say something that would be smothering or controlling, and STOP yourself from going on with it.

It is far too late to do anything about her experiences before you got together; the only time you could have or should have done anything was when you had the discussion that bothers you, and you should have broken things off then. Now, you have to find a way to let this issue go, or destroy what I assume is a good relationship and marriage of almost 20 years.

Old 02-13-2022, 05:57 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,533,950 times
Obsessive compulsive thoughts? Sounds like an OCD anxiety disorder.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:00 PM

20,269 posts, read 13,664,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
If you think you may be smothering her, you probably are. What behaviors of yours seem to be responsible. I can only suggest that you be aware of the tendency, note when you are about to do or say something that would be smothering or controlling, and STOP yourself from going on with it.

It is far too late to do anything about her experiences before you got together; the only time you could have or should have done anything was when you had the discussion that bothers you, and you should have broken things off then. Now, you have to find a way to let this issue go, or destroy what I assume is a good relationship and marriage of almost 20 years.
Nothing says he should have broken it off in the beginning, either.

My current wife had WAY more sexual experience with WAY more partners than I. Never bothered me in the slightest. And I can't see why it should. She's a responsible, kind, intelligent woman who is good to me. She's not some sort of libertine; she just wasn't raised with a religious broomstick up her touche like I was, that's all.

To flip the script on the OP, he's concerned she's going to be unfaithful to him because she has done the unthinkable: she's had sex with other men!! I don't see how a partner having no other sexual experience is any sort of security blanket about whether or not they will "cheat" on you anyway. One has nothing to do with the other.

Last edited by mordant; 02-13-2022 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-13-2022, 06:06 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,300,555 times
Put a rubber band on your wrist. Snap it every time you have one of these thoughts.

You must not feed them nor entertain them. Do this rubber band trick and they will stop. Its a simple yet very effective therapeutic technique.

Old 02-13-2022, 11:03 PM

7,013 posts, read 5,022,815 times
Well, you certainly can ask her if you are smothering her. It's possible she hasn't even noticed.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:43 AM

62,229 posts, read 88,113,858 times
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thoughts?

Thanks
Keep seeing your therapist.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:28 AM

740 posts, read 480,846 times
Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks
Noooooooooo. That only seems like a way to belittle yourself and affirm your insecurities. Don't start walking down that path.

Can you turn it around in your mind, to what is the truth of the situation?

Your wife had to kiss some BUTT-UGLY frogs... and then came YOU.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships