Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 10:37 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,380,278 times

Advertisements

Mod cut.

Things change right? That includes buying expensive engagement rings if she decided not to be a traditional bride.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-14-2022 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:42 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,790 times
A man about to propose should not be frightened that his girlfriend will dump him over how much a ring costs and whether it is a big name. He should feel loved and accepted for who he is, not how much he can spend. I would seriously reconsider the whole idea of marrying this materialistic, superficial woman.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
Another one of my 'rules'...

If I hear from anyone "diamonds are a girl's (boy's) best friend" then they are immediately dropped and I never look back. Period.

OP needs to wise up.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:22 AM

11,802 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
A man about to propose should not be frightened that his girlfriend will dump him over how much a ring costs and whether it is a big name. He should feel loved and accepted for who he is, not how much he can spend. I would seriously reconsider the whole idea of marrying this materialistic, superficial woman.
Cartier, Tiffany, if she's that specific, she's looking to name-drop, and truly no one else cares about your ring but you.

Mine is a fraction of the price point OP is discussing, but the 4Cs are all on point and it's Canadian mined (which means a lot to this Canadian). I get constant compliments because the way the light hits it, it's an eye-catcher. People will comment, but no one asks what store it's from.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:58 AM

6,828 posts, read 11,560,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Cartier, Tiffany, if she's that specific, she's looking to name-drop, and truly no one else cares about your ring but you.
How is anyone going to know WHERE it came from unless you tell them? I have a vision of “leaving the tag on” like kids do with baseball caps, except I’m pretty sure Cartier and Tiffany’s don’t have tags on their rings.

It’s not like “table sale” junk jewelry on a cruise ship.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:29 PM

11,802 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
How is anyone going to know WHERE it came from unless you tell them? I have a vision of “leaving the tag on” like kids do with baseball caps, except I’m pretty sure Cartier and Tiffany’s don’t have tags on their rings.

It’s not like “table sale” junk jewelry on a cruise ship.
Right! No one is going to ask, and if someone needs to announce it, it will be met with polite smiles while they’re rolling their eyes inside.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:33 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
There very well may be a specific style to a Cartier or Tiffany ring that people "in the know" might pick up on, but the vast number of people who will see the ring at a glance will just notice there's a ring. They wouldn't know if it cost $30,000 or $3,000 or $300.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:39 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Do the fancy proposal with a paper cigar ring. Then after she says yes, so shopping together and pick out the ring together.

An engagement ring is an expensive ring which can not be returned and your bride has to wear it for the rest of her life (hopefully, good successful marriage). Don't make her wear a ring she hates for the rest of her life. Believe me, there are a lot of really ugly engagement rings out there.

I really dislike the one that Snazzy B just posted and I'd be unhappy to have to wear that ugly pretentious thing forever.

Have it set up before hand with the jeweler to show you rings in your price range and let her choose from those.

And by the way, Cartier used to have really outstanding designers, but the Cartier rings now just look like any other ring from any other jeweler. No one knows where the ring came from. Just go to a decent local mid range jeweler and you can get a ring that looks just as nice for a lot less money. Or spend Cartier prices and get twice as nice a ring.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:43 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Do the fancy proposal with a paper cigar ring. Then after she says yes, so shopping together and pick out the ring together.

An engagement ring is an expensive ring which can not be returned and your bride has to wear it for the rest of her life (hopefully, good successful marriage). Don't make her wear a ring she hates for the rest of her life. Believe me, there are a lot of really ugly engagement rings out there.

I really dislike the one that Snazzy B just posted and I'd be unhappy to have to wear that ugly pretentious thing forever.

Have it set up before hand with the jeweler to show you rings in your price range and let her choose from those.
This is an excellent idea

Old 03-10-2022, 12:48 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,609,994 times
No greater scam has been perpetrated on the american people that diamond engagement rings.

My wife and I shopped for rings together pre engagement. We've since replaced both (hers with a smaller band that is more appropriate with toddlers).

Side note - we also bought each other watches for wedding presents, which have both appreciated significantly since our wedding - unlike diamonds which have zero real value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships