Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 09:04 PM

47 posts, read 28,591 times

Advertisements

So in the past few years of trying to date women I’ve come across a few that would say things like “You look like my ex who I’m not over yet” or “You look exactly like my brother, and would be weird to date you because of that”.

Just was curious to see if this is just some weird coincidences I been coming across or is that just another way for someone to say they aren’t interested?

And is that normal to happen if someone you talked to looked like someone you knew and you didn’t want anything to do with them because of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 04:38 AM

160 posts, read 127,200 times
I had that happen. Met a woman for the first time.
She was a dead ringer for my best friend's mom, when she was younger.
She was a nice person too. Just could not get past the weirdness of it, to consider dating her.
Unless you have had it happen to you It's hard to understand, I guess.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:51 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,054,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reypoints11 View Post
So in the past few years of trying to date women I’ve come across a few that would say things like “You look like my ex who I’m not over yet” or “You look exactly like my brother, and would be weird to date you because of that”.

Just was curious to see if this is just some weird coincidences I been coming across or is that just another way for someone to say they aren’t interested?

And is that normal to happen if someone you talked to looked like someone you knew and you didn’t want anything to do with them because of that?
You know, this is not often posted about...I somehow think this is kind of a strange reason not to date someone.

I had a friend that wouldn't date any woman with the same name as his ex. I mean, they didn't even have to look like their ex. lol

Old 03-24-2022, 04:52 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,054,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Male View Post
I had that happen. Met a woman for the first time.
She was a dead ringer for my best friend's mom, when she was younger.
She was a nice person too. Just could not get past the weirdness of it, to consider dating her.
Unless you have had it happen to you It's hard to understand, I guess.
Your best friend's mom? I don't get that, because you're not related. It was just a friend of your mom's. There's not even an implied incest here. lol

Old 03-24-2022, 06:41 AM

9,502 posts, read 8,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Your best friend's mom? I don't get that, because you're not related. It was just a friend of your mom's. There's not even an implied incest here. lol
Right? Sorry, you look like my sister's neighbor. CAN'T DATE YOU.

Some of the things I read in here........my goodness.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:20 AM

5,763 posts, read 3,260,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
No...not a friend of his mom's.

The lady looked like a young version of his best friend's mom.

I would imagine it was weird for him because it would have been like dating his best friend's mom.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:28 AM

9,502 posts, read 8,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
No...not a friend of his mom's.

The lady looked like a young version of his best friend's mom.

I would imagine it was weird for him because it would have been like dating his best friend's mom.
The only thing "weird" about that is not dating someone because they look like someone's mom.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:29 AM

20,780 posts, read 20,088,699 times
I had that happen but I never got rejected for it.

Just recently I had a date with a guy much shorter and he said a few times that his ex was my height and it feels a bit odd walking next to me because memories now come up. They split 7 years ago and she died, so ... not really a threat

I don't care as long as I don't get rejected and if, then oh well... what an idiot.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:32 AM

20,458 posts, read 14,818,651 times
I disagree, I think that anyone can take a pass on dating anyone for any reason or no reason.

Maybe you realize that the reason you are "not feelin' it" or you've got some bit of discomfort is that they remind you of someone that you'd rather not be reminded of. Fine.

I wouldn't want anyone dating me who was uncomfortable dating me. They don't owe me anything. If they don't want to date me they could just...not. There are billions of other people out there, I could date someone else.

I would not have wanted to date anyone who reminded me of my first husband in any of a variety of ways. In fact I got to the saucy talk with one "flirtationship" of a flirty sort of friend when we were both polyamorous (well, he still is, but I stopped doing that years ago)...and he started telling me stuff about what he likes in bed. Some of those things were things my ex was into doing and I was like, "Nope. Nope, nope, nope." And the one and only reason that this behavior was such an instant turn off, is it would remind me of the ex.

Let's see...things that my ex ruined for me (and I am not complaining)...

Soldiers, vets, gun enthusiasts, preppers, survivalists and conservatives. Men who refer to themselves as "Alpha," "Lone Wolf," or "Wolf"-anything. Men who insist that they are Native American when they are not, especially if they go on about "totems" and "spirit animals." Anyone who spits a lot. Anyone who drinks to get drunk, who drinks beer, who drinks often (as in, more than one glass of something on rare occasions) and anyone who uses cannabis. Men who drive big trucks. Libras.

I think that's enough to start with, but there's probably more that I'd have to encounter to even know about, and then there's the sex things that are nobody's business.

And I know, my whole "nobody has to date anybody, so what?" take on this, probably has to do with the relative ease by which I can meet potential partners (or at least, I could when I was doing that, but I imagine I probably could now if I wanted to)...but somebody else's scarcity is not my problem and creates no obligation for me to deal with any discomfort on my part. Sorry, not sorry. Wish ya luck, though.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:50 AM

32,757 posts, read 48,460,461 times
It doesn't matter why they say it. They don't want to date you. Accept it graciously and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships