Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 07:42 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
IMO, you're a crazy fool if you do not notify immigration that he basically scammed you, with you and maybe your parents as co-signor? I know I would cancel my green card support if I were in your shoes. You should have done this ASAP when you filed for divorce.

I watch the show 90 day fiance. There have been a few cases where they married and divorced within a year, the guy contacted immigration to pull that 10 year support promissory paperwork. I've heard that it is now a life time support promise, I'm not sure how true that is. You can google Larissa Lima and Colt Johnson divorce then use various key words about him pulling the support, there are tons of articles on it.

90 Day Fiance’s Colt Johnson Is ‘Attempting to Cancel’ Estranged Wife Larissa Dos Santos Lima’s Green Card
I don't watch cable TV anymore. Before I cut the cord, one of the few show I actually watched was 90 Fiance. It was eye opening! The sheer number of people who use Americans to come over here is amazing! The lies they tell are something else. It's all for US$$$ and that green card.

I agree with Roselvr, not notifying immigration is crazy. You will be linked to him for a long time. How much will this cost you? If this guy gets into trouble, you will be on the front page of a newspaper. Cut it off.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think your ex really took you to the cleaners. You don't say what country he came from, I don't believe he had $20k in savings that got blown during COVID so you had to send him $500 a month.

As far as his lying about being married before, what are the laws in his country where you got married? Are plural marriages legal there?

He lied on his visa application, heck yes I would turn him in. Of course they will want to know why you didn't know but are you really a detective to find this out yourself? Please. Especially since it sounds like it's from a 3rd country.

You also need to terminate supporting him/ his green card and immigrant status for 10 years or life, depending on when you filed the visa application because you are on the hook to support him for a minimum of 10 years and maximum for life or until he remarries I believe but don't quote me on it.

IMO, you're a crazy fool if you do not notify immigration that he basically scammed you, with you and maybe your parents as co-signor? I know I would cancel my green card support if I were in your shoes. You should have done this ASAP when you filed for divorce.

I watch the show 90 day fiance. There have been a few cases where they married and divorced within a year, the guy contacted immigration to pull that 10 year support promissory paperwork. I've heard that it is now a life time support promise, I'm not sure how true that is. You can google Larissa Lima and Colt Johnson divorce then use various key words about him pulling the support, there are tons of articles on it.

90 Day Fiance’s Colt Johnson Is ‘Attempting to Cancel’ Estranged Wife Larissa Dos Santos Lima’s Green Card
He does not need the US spouse to go through adjustment of status - proof that the marriage was entered in good faith is enough. OP's story is so convaluted who knows what really happened.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:17 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
After all, he married her just for immigration. He never attended to stay married or have children. Yeah, I would report a man who used me so badly.
This.
Really, our country doesn’t need him here. And I don’t want my taxes to support him in his old age.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:29 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I don't watch cable TV anymore. Before I cut the cord, one of the few show I actually watched was 90 Fiance. It was eye opening! The sheer number of people who use Americans to come over here is amazing! The lies they tell are something else. It's all for US$$$ and that green card.

I agree with Roselvr, not notifying immigration is crazy. You will be linked to him for a long time. How much will this cost you? If this guy gets into trouble, you will be on the front page of a newspaper. Cut it off.

I agree that she could be responsible financially for him for years, from 10 until he dies depending on when they applied for his visa.

I believe it was when Tiffany Franco applied with her father co-signing that the laws changed to financially responsible until one of them dies.

A similar couple on 90 Day fiance would be Molly and Luis. Luis snowed Molly, he even talked her into marrying way before the 90 days were over, they some how sneaked away from the cameras to marry in private at the justice of the peace when camera crews were not around.

Luis showed his true colors after the wedding, while awaiting his green card. Their "relationship" quickly went into a tail spin, but she was able to quickly get an immigration attorney to pull her application to be financially responsible for him for 10 years.

She threw him out, he left Georgia, supposedly for his brothers here in NJ, but it was soon apparent that he had a woman waiting for him here. Unfortunately for Luis, this woman was also an immigrant, he ended up getting deported back to the DR 2 years ago...

Another liar would be Mohamed, who wooed a woman named Danielle in order to come to the US. Most of us were not shocked when he refused to kiss her on their wedding day, stating it was some sort of Moslem holiday that forbade him to do that.

Mohamed began cheating on her early on. It's also rumored someone was carrying his child. Daniel was still stupid, in love with him to do what needed to be done to send him packing, instead hoping that he would come back to her which has never happened. Last I read they were on a "friend level" communication. He's a truck driver, he supposedly calls her while driving which I used to do with my hub when he traveled with a load in order to break up his day.

Hopefully the OP comes back to read the advice not to let this dude step on her. She was scammed into thinking he wanted a child with her, that they would last forever. His true colors also came out when he got that magic US green card which is the biggest prize an immigrant could get.

Back to 90 Day Fiance, to date, I believe only one person, Lauren's hub Alexei is the only immigrant from the show to actually apply for US citizenship and get it. 90 Day Fiance has been on 9 years in January 2023. It is usually 3 years after marrying a US citizen and 5 years to apply after getting a green card without marrying.

90 Day Fiance: Here's Why Luis Mendez Is Getting Deported Back To Dominican Republic - Published Sep 07, 2020

Luis Mendez of 90 Day Fiancé is being deported back to his native Dominican Republic, and his divorce from Molly Hopkins didn't help matters.

Quote:
Luis Mendez, the ex-husband of 90 Day Fiancé alum Molly Hopkins is getting deported back to the Dominican Republic. It appears his divorce from Molly may have played a role in his removal from the States. ...Despite Molly's family sharing their suspicions about Luis, she still secretly married him.

Her family, friends and TLC producers were left in the dark about the nuptials. Molly claimed Luis soon started freaking out and accusing his wife of "witchcraft" due to the Buddhas, owls, and candles she had on display. Later that year, Molly told production Luis "pressured" her into marrying him when they first met with the officiant rather than waiting for a ceremony.... ...But, just five months after his divorce from Molly in 2018, Luis had already remarried another woman. This was a move Molly felt was somehow “arranged” after learning the new wife was also living in the U.S. but was a native of the Dominican Republic. ...Two years into his second marriage in the U.S., it appears Luis has to return to the Dominican Republic.

It was during Molly's interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live! last year where she expressed feelings Luis planned to divorce her and marry another woman from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
He does not need the US spouse to go through adjustment of status - proof that the marriage was entered in good faith is enough. OP's story is so convaluted who knows what really happened.

I agree, we don't know what happened, but if what she says is partially truthful, he scammed her like so many others have been scammed into bringing a fiance over thinking they were loved.

I had actually found another thread by the OP about her 74 year old father who gets social security, deciding to start working again painting houses (on his own, not with a company) right before COVID closed everything down. She said he went to work the first day with the customer telling him no thanks due to COVID.

Her father decided to submit an unemployment claim, some how getting it before recently getting a bill that he did not qualify, they wanted their money back. She claims he is broke, he can't repay the $16k. If the OP comes back, I suggested he take out a HELOC, home equity line of credit to repay it. This is what I would do, get it paid back ASAP.

A lot of states have done the same, looked at applications more closely, demanding people repay it that should not have qualified.

Someone replied saying all he needs are texts and emails between he and the "customer" to prove he did have a job, even though it was all cash, off the books.

What can EDD do for nonpayment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleelleelle View Post
Hello. I'm contacting you on behalf of my dad. He retired a few years ago (74 now) and due to his low social security benefit monthly payments, he decided to take on a job painting walls in the neighborhood for an extra cash, so he found a client, but after one day of working, the pandemic began and the client told him that he lost his own job and could not pay my dad later on for the work, so my dad got paid cash for the paint and the tools as compensation and that was it.

My dad filed for UI for mid-March 2020 on and was getting UI benefits plus his SS benefits. He currently lives with me as he can't afford to live on his own for $1,200/month SS benefits so we share the bills with him. Fast forward to him being denied by the EDD when asked for documentation (due to lack of evidence/doc) to prove his employment, then he appealed but was disqualified at the phone hearing, so now it seems like he will get a letter saying how much he owes EDD.

My question is the following: since dad is 74, lives in my own home, has no assets whatsoever with an income of $1,200/month and $3,500 in his checking account...what can the EDD do to him such as arrest, lawsuit again & deprivation from social security benefits? He spent his UI on general livelihood and saved that $3,500 as what remained to him. How does this reflect on future taxes, driver's license, medicare, SS benefits, etc.? How far can they go after a 74-year-old? Please advise as I am worried for my dad's denial and I do not have the money to loan him to pay back the $16,200 to EDD. We live in Los Angeles, so the cost of living is rather high vs his low retirement income.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:50 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
TV shows about "relationships" aren't about relationships, they are about entertainment, and immigration is a legal isssue. As such, I'm closing the thread.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships