Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 08:53 AM

1,655 posts, read 777,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Well, this came from your imagination. And it's a very bold statement which must be based on more than a feeling. So what does your imagination believe those other 85% will be doing? Surely not all of them will be in non-monogamous relationships. About what percentage will be permanently single? What percentage of older folks will open up their marriages after 40 years do you imagine?

I'd seriously love to see a breakdown of this imaginary 85% cohort. This is your opinion, I feel certain you have considered it carefully from a variety of angles.
Discussion forums as you may learn — are by their nature a place where people CAN make bold statements, based on feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 09:14 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
There's always been some percentage of people who've been in open relationships without actually calling them that. Historically, there have been plenty of politicians, athletes, celebrities, even regular folks who have "arrangements" with their spouses that what happens on a work trip stays on a work trip, for example, and any extracurricular activities should not get back to the spouse at home.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:51 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,122,557 times
Quote:
Marriage rates may be decreasing, but that says nothing about the rates of couples in committed relationships.

In Europe, legal marriage is practically a relic, but the rates of people cohabiting and raising families in common law has remained basically the same.
That is certainly true... you are right.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:09 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,479,983 times
Over the last 20+ years, I've seen an increasing number of mainstream articles and books about various forms of non-monogamy. These options will never (IMO) become the dominant form of relationship, but they are certainly becoming more common. I'm excluding non-consensual types, such as cheating, and only talking about consensual, ethical non-monogamy (ENM), which is definitely a thing and increasing common. ENM includes swinging, open relationships, polyamorous relationships, and any and all consensual variations. It works well for some people, but it can be hard to let go of jealousy and insecurities.

We've been in an open relationship of one kind or another for 22 years. We're very happily married, and while we married mostly for practical purposes, are still glad we did. We've both had other partners over the years, for varying periods of time ranging from several weeks to 10 years. We've always seen our own relationship as primary and others as secondary, but many who practice ENM, especially polyamorous people, may treat all their romantic relationships as equal in importance (although in many cases they can't spend equal amounts of time with every partner, for whatever reasons).

Anyway, most people will continue to want monogamy. My first marriage was monogamous, but my ex cheated; so much for that! Many of those won't practice monogamy in fact - they'll cheat - or their partner will cheat (estimates of rates of cheating in supposedly monogamous relationships range from 20% to over 89%). Even then, they'll cling to the ideal of monogamy. Most people want the security (even if it's sometimes illusory) of exclusivity, and it often works.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:14 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,755,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Discussion forums as you may learn — are by their nature a place where people CAN make bold statements, based on feelings.
Understood. But most folks will not be swayed or even take notice of an opinion that's based on feelings rather than evidence.

If you want to explain why you feel 85% of all people will be in non-mono marriages in 20 years--based on something, anything--then that would be more useful to the discussion. Otherwise it's just an emotional blurt.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Understood. But most folks will not be swayed or even take notice of an opinion that's based on feelings rather than evidence.

If you want to explain why you feel 85% of all people will be in non-mono marriages in 20 years--based on something, anything--then that would be more useful to the discussion. Otherwise it's just an emotional blurt.
Some will some won’t. At this point we are taking up too much space discussing trivial matters.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:11 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,771,567 times
All of the stats provided seem probably accurate, I don't know.

I know that I personally have zero interest in doing some like that.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:26 PM

Perhaps the younger crowd knows it’s difficult for themselves or other to just talk or be with one person due to the ease of communication through various apps? Maybe shorter attention spans due to taking in so much new content? I was talking to a woman about 40 the other day and she said people asking her about her snap (didn’t have one) made her instantly think they could be potential cheaters. Not sure if she thought that because of experience or what. I said I didn’t really know what it was and she said it was a way to communicate and have the communication disappear. I know about everyone under 40 has it.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,059,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A lot of men who don't know any better envision an open relationship as him being able to have sex with different women all the time, and then come back home to wifey. That's generally not how it goes.

Yeah. I'd imagine it would be much easier for the wife to make the beast with two backs than the husband in those kinds of arrangements.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:00 PM

11,590 posts, read 6,063,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
There has been an interesting study on this and according to a research YouGov poll. The findings are:

One in three men are interested in an open relationship, while only 19% of women say the same
Across generations, lesbian, gay and bisexual people are more likely than heterosexual people to be interested in open relationships

Millennials are more likely than older and younger Americans to be interested in open relationships
Millennials are more likely than any other generation to express interest in having an open relationship, by a notable margin. Four in 10 (41%) Millennials would be interested, while Generation Z (29%) trails 12 points behind, followed by Generation X (23%). Baby Boomers (12%) are the least likely to express interest in an open relationship.https://today.yougov.com/topics/life...sexuality-poll
I would say that many years ago it was more of a taboo, but the taboos have changed. YOU would even encounter people you would be interested, would be interested in an open relationship.

For me I would not want such a thing and I am a guy. Sure there are people out there that they believe it works out for them and I am sure they have their reasons, however I believe if one truly loved someone and really want to be with them, you would not want to be with anyone else.
Nothing really new here.

Straight people are less promiscuous than homosexuals or bisexuals.

Women are less promiscuous than men.

Older people are less promiscuous than younger people.

Morals have been on the decline for decades, hence younger people tend to have worse morals, be more progressive and more promiscuous. I mean, they were raised on TV shows and movies with everybody always sleeping with everybody else all the time.

Nothing new here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships