Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 10:36 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think that trend has reversed. All the wedding venues are booked solid on weekends, and people are having to opt to marry on Thursday night, or Sunday night, etc.
My daughter and her fiancée are being told to book for 2024!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 09:23 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,392,161 times
BTDT. A lot of my friends are non-monogamous, polyam or ambiamorous, which is what I am.

Geriatric Millennial.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:10 AM

20,461 posts, read 14,792,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
BTDT. A lot of my friends are non-monogamous, polyam or ambiamorous, which is what I am.

Geriatric Millennial.
Ambiamorous! Yep. I think that's me, too.

Seriously I think I just want whatever I'm doing in my love life, to be enjoyable and not stressful. That is vastly more important to me than how many or what kind of people I'm doing what with and what we are calling it.

I just never could master the Google-calendar-fu that my polyam bestie has going on, though.

Old 09-05-2022, 06:23 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,346,253 times
Lot's of people would "consider it" but few would do it and even fewer would keep doing it after they tried it.

And most who would consider it only think that way because we've taught people that the more open to things they are the better, even when those things are ridiculous.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:35 PM

52,408 posts, read 52,919,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Lot's of people would "consider it" but few would do it and even fewer would keep doing it after they tried it.

And most who would consider it only think that way because we've taught people that the more open to things they are the better, even when those things are ridiculous.
We've entered a phase in this country where we can't judge anymore. Across the board. You are a bigot of sorts if you ask too many questions.

That said I make efforts to just live and let live. I used to be more opinionated about things.

Last few yrs I'm kinda just like F it, whatever people need to do to get through the day. All legal and consensual of course.

Long time ago a poster here was great, smart, awesome writer and all around interesting guy. He lived an alternative lifestyle and it worked for him. He was well rounded overall. He didn't really feel the need to put it front and center in his life, it was just a facet of him. People too often live in their minds and think that their thoughts are who they are, their identity.

Been reading too much Tolle lately I guess.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:52 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,251,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
There has been an interesting study on this and according to a research YouGov poll. The findings are:

One in three men are interested in an open relationship, while only 19% of women say the same
Across generations, lesbian, gay and bisexual people are more likely than heterosexual people to be interested in open relationships

Millennials are more likely than older and younger Americans to be interested in open relationships
Millennials are more likely than any other generation to express interest in having an open relationship, by a notable margin. Four in 10 (41%) Millennials would be interested, while Generation Z (29%) trails 12 points behind, followed by Generation X (23%). Baby Boomers (12%) are the least likely to express interest in an open relationship.https://today.yougov.com/topics/life...sexuality-poll
I would say that many years ago it was more of a taboo, but the taboos have changed. YOU would even encounter people you would be interested, would be interested in an open relationship.

For me I would not want such a thing and I am a guy. Sure there are people out there that they believe it works out for them and I am sure they have their reasons, however I believe if one truly loved someone and really want to be with them, you would not want to be with anyone else.
I think a lot of people will say they're open to it but without actually doing it they don't know. I think the experiences much different than what people think. But essentially any NSA relationship is exactly that.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:31 AM

2,680 posts, read 2,111,583 times
Quote:
There has been an interesting study on this and according to a research YouGov poll. The findings are:

One in three men are interested in an open relationship, while only 19% of women say the same
Across generations, lesbian, gay and bisexual people are more likely than heterosexual people to be interested in open relationships
One in three men translates to 33%. Higher percentage than women for sure but not a dramatic difference. Arithmetic certainly helps in this case...

Old 09-15-2022, 11:32 AM

137 posts, read 82,977 times
It is true that the taboo is changing, but I do think the numbers are widely inflated because most people have no idea what they're talking about when they're asked these questions.

I say that from closely knowing a few people, of ages ranging between 23 to 38, who are into open relationships and polyamory, and have watched them go over a few years now, and interact with other people in their social circles who are into this same kind of stuff.

To a person, they all consistently lament whenever their partner in that "open" relationship strays in any way. They'll say they want to be non-exclusive, but once they come in contact with the reality of it, they hate it, and it creates drama.

Then I have to hear all the specifics of the situation that makes this particular instance of the other person doing stuff with someone else an objective transgression. "But aren't you guys in an open relationship?" Yes, of course, they don't mind that they had sex with someone else, but not *that* kind of sex, or not with this person, or not in that moment, or it shouldn't have happened this way, or it changes their perception of their partner that they would even be attracted to *that* kind of person, or they should've been more transparent about it, or it's fine but they didn't want to know about it, and on and on.

At this point my opinion on this whole "open relationship" stuff is that it's just the good old commitment issue/hook up culture/wanting to have your cake and eat it, wrapped in a nice language about progressive open-mindedness, by people who just aren't yet willing to own up to what they are in the moment. I tiny portion of the people who say they want an open relationship actually know what that even means in reality.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:46 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,100,544 times
Quote:

Millennials are more likely than older and younger Americans to be interested in open relationships
Millennials are more likely than any other generation to express interest in having an open relationship, by a notable margin. Four in 10 (41%) Millennials would be interested, while Generation Z (29%) trails 12 points behind, followed by Generation X (23%). Baby Boomers (12%) are the least likely to express interest in an open relationship.https://today.yougov.com/topics/life...sexuality-poll
I would say that many years ago it was more of a taboo, but the taboos have changed. YOU would even encounter people you would be interested, would be interested in an open relationship.

For me I would not want such a thing and I am a guy. Sure there are people out there that they believe it works out for them and I am sure they have their reasons, however I believe if one truly loved someone and really want to be with them, you would not want to be with anyone else.
I agree with you and I would not like that at all and wouldn't be able to deal with it because it defies all logic of marriage and relationships being "normal". I would be a basket case. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships