Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 11:59 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,813,260 times

Advertisements

Saw this post in my newsfeed and was curious what you guys thinks of it, or how accurate it is:

We fall in love with 3 people in our lifetime. Each one for a specific reason:

[Mod cut: copy/paste of a copyrighted article]
Read this instead:
https://www.esselmancounseling.com/2...-our-lifetime/

Last edited by elnina; 08-29-2022 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 12:05 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
My 1st 'love' was not about 'love' - it was sex... and it got old quick. I learned early on that I need more, much more than that.

The woman I am with now deffo qualifies as my '3rd love' - and hoping that this is 'it'... because if it ends, I'm done.

I've had a few '2nd loves'.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:07 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,813,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
My 1st 'love' was not about 'love' - it was sex... and it got old quick. I learned early on that I need more, much more than that.

The woman I am with now deffo qualifies as my '3rd love' - and hoping that this is 'it'... because if it ends, I'm done.

I've had a few '2nd loves'.
Curious, is your third love not your typical physical "type"?

Old 08-29-2022, 12:16 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
I find it to be mostly accurate. My first 'serious' boyfriend, we argued over nothing burgers. We fussed a lot. Broke up, got back together, and broke up again. I suppose he's out there somewhere, and I wish nothing but good things for him. He was a learning experience. Truly not a bad guy, but not the right guy either.

My first husband was my second love, and went into that relationship naively on so many levels. The ending was hard and painful.

My second husband is my 3rd love, and I find the explanation to be pretty much on point. I have often had him make a comment that little did he know, filled a little chip in my heart, or repaired a crack in my soul...and he didn't even know. Indeed...I didn't know about the crack or the chip until he fixed it.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Curious, is your third love not your typical physical "type"?
Somewhat but not radically different. She's Latina and many - especially around here - are a bit voluptuous and on the short side (my 'type') but she is not as 'curvy'. She's also about 2-3 inches taller than me.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:39 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,603,421 times
Sort of, but my first and second love was the same girl. Third is my wife.

First - high school, lost our virginity to one another, broke up when she moved (local, but another high school) the summer before our senior year.

Second - dated the same girl again for 2 yrs in college after we reconnected. She left me for another guy out of the blue and I was hurt for a while. There were some lies, too (I think she cheated, not sure, etc. etc.)

Third - wife - knew her as a friend and we hung in the same circles for years before I asked her out, (there's more to the story but that's the quick version) and here we are two decades later.

I dated plenty of other women in between those, but none at that level (these three were my only relationships that lasted over 18 mos).

Last edited by SuperDave72; 08-29-2022 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-29-2022, 01:14 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
It is very accurate for me, except that I had a few (not just one) in the "first love" category of my youth.

I don't believe in hindsight that the love was not real then, but at the time I thought I would always feel the same way about those individuals, and many years later I can't say that I still do. I do still feel warm about the memories, but we have gone in such utterly different directions over the years that I could never love the people that they are today in the way that I loved them as they were, then.

But #2 and #3 could have been written spot on about my first and second marriages.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:27 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Not accurate for me. In fact, this idea seems like a load of superstition and magical thinking. I mean... there are two people involved, right? What if you are his third but he is your first? Someone didn't think this little axiom through.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:33 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,557,147 times
I don’t have a type. My first love and all 3 of my husbands looked entirely different.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:00 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,226,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Saw this post in my newsfeed and was curious what you guys thinks of it, or how accurate it is:

We fall in love with 3 people in our lifetime. Each one for a specific reason:

First Love:
This love often happens at a young age. You eventually grow apart or call it quits over silly things. When you get older you may look back and think it wasn't love. But the truth is, it was. It was love for what you knew love to be.

Second Love:
The hard one. You get hurt in this one. This love teaches us lesson and makes us stronger. This love includes great pain, lies, betrayal, abuse, drama and damage. But this is the one where we grow. We realize what we love about love and what we don't love about love.
Now we know the difference between good and bad humans. Now we become closed, careful, cautious and considerate. We know exactly what want and don't want.

Third Love:
This one comes blindly. No warning. It creeps on you silently. You don't go looking for this love. It comes to you.
You can put any wall you want, it will be broke down. You'll find yourself caring about that person without trying. They look nothing like your usual types but you get lost their eyes daily. You see beauty in their imperfections. You hide nothing from them. You want marriage and family with them. You thank the universe for them. You truly love them.

For me personally, I've had the first love (and find the description accurate), and the second (although not sure it was as abusive as this post makes it sound). Still waiting for the third (or looking rather lol). Also think people might have more than one "second love" and often we may mistake the second love for the third lol.
No it doesn't seem accurate to me I had a first love and looking back on it it was definitely love. We didn't end it over silly things we ended it over compatibility issues. Those are quite serious. And I'm with my second love now and this one is eternal.

I don't doubt this is a common experience but you are asking me if I thought it was common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships