Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 05:15 AM

7,948 posts, read 3,493,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Incompatible how?

Sexually?
Different interests?
Drug and alcohol use?

What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeShmo View Post

I enjoy it , she’ does not or fakes it

Yes very much

No absolutely not

We share same approach towards religion,raising kids , finances ( kind of I’m way more cheap ) , and families get along great

Other than that very different people

Stayed together primarily for kid and for me as I’m attracted to her physically

So you don't ring her bell? What are you doing to fix that? The rest sounds fine. You don't have to have the same interests, although you might want to find one thing you can both enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 06:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 5,255,308 times
Quote:
I’ll work on planning some activities togather thanks
At the risk of catching hell, I'll suggest Googling some Jordan Peterson short talks on keeping romance alive in a relationship. He really has some excellent advice, if you both are willing to engage, for re-energizing your relationship.

Activities together is a good start. Date night. I know, it sounds trite, but get a sitter, go to a good movie, have dinner out, reconnect. etc etc etc

Old 09-01-2022, 07:56 AM

116 posts, read 93,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
So you don't ring her bell? What are you doing to fix that? The rest sounds fine. You don't have to have the same interests, although you might want to find one thing you can both enjoy.
Nothing she doesn’t want to experiment anymore

First 2 yrs it was not like this , we both enjoyed it

Old 09-01-2022, 08:32 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,755,090 times
Are you prepared to watch your daughter be raised by a new father figure? Think hard about what that will look and feel like.

Why did you never marry your partner? Was there always a feeling that the arrangement wasn't permanent? That has to put pressure on both of you.

In your position I would embark on some very intensive couples counseling...not to repair the relationship you have, but build a brand new one where you are focused on meeting each others' needs. This takes a lot of maturity but I've seen it done with amazing results. It won't be instinctive, it will take a lot of thinking, communicating, and behavior that may not come naturally right away

Old 09-01-2022, 10:07 AM

9,480 posts, read 5,255,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Are you prepared to watch your daughter be raised by a new father figure? Think hard about what that will look and feel like.

Why did you never marry your partner? Was there always a feeling that the arrangement wasn't permanent? That has to put pressure on both of you.

In your position I would embark on some very intensive couples counseling...not to repair the relationship you have, but build a brand new one where you are focused on meeting each others' needs. This takes a lot of maturity but I've seen it done with amazing results. It won't be instinctive, it will take a lot of thinking, communicating, and behavior that may not come naturally right away
Building a 'new' relationship is an excellent idea. I've heard it referred to as re-negotiating the relationship. You have an honest dialog around wants and needs, what's working, what's not working and WHY and what each would like to see going forward because life isn't static and things change. It's true that this doesn't come very naturally and can feel forced. But if you love one another and can muster up the courage - and it takes courage to be this honest - to have that talk then you may be able to overcome the currents obstacles. You've stayed together for 8 years and have a daughter. That is not nothing.

The marriage question is interesting, too. Why didn't you marry?
My friend, Peterson, says regarding marriage (and I'm paraphrasing) 'you took a vow in front of your family, friends, and maybe even God, that you would stick by one another NO MATTER WHAT.' It's a vow, it was taken for a reason. It tells the other person I'M NOT LEAVING. Infidelity and other egregious matters aside for the moment.
Of course, when I'm grousing at my husband for some stupid thing LOL I tend to sometimes forget these things but we've been together for 30 yrs, married for 28, and are re-negotiating some things now.

Old 09-01-2022, 12:24 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,058,626 times
Quote:
Hi
Wanted to know if anyone here thinks that they are in such a relationship, if so please share your experiences and how you cope with it

Thanks
Actually, not being completely compatible is not a bad thing. Each gets their own space to enjoy their hobbies and the two of you can do things together that you both enjoy. Actually, that works out far better than having two exact like-minded people that spend 24/7 with each other. There are countless married couples that have been together for decades and the husband doesn't do pottery and the wife doesn't play golf. But they do enjoy each other and do things that they both enjoy.

Of course being compatible would involve a lot of other issues that may be a deal breaker. Religion, television/movie genres, raising kids, etc. If the differences are actually ruining your happiness and you just can't deal with it then of course you should end it.

I was in one and I got out. A few things in common but in a whole it was just likes and dislikes.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Building a 'new' relationship is an excellent idea. I've heard it referred to as re-negotiating the relationship. You have an honest dialog around wants and needs, what's working, what's not working and WHY and what each would like to see going forward because life isn't static and things change. It's true that this doesn't come very naturally and can feel forced. But if you love one another and can muster up the courage - and it takes courage to be this honest - to have that talk then you may be able to overcome the currents obstacles. You've stayed together for 8 years and have a daughter. That is not nothing.

The marriage question is interesting, too. Why didn't you marry?
My friend, Peterson, says regarding marriage (and I'm paraphrasing) 'you took a vow in front of your family, friends, and maybe even God, that you would stick by one another NO MATTER WHAT.' It's a vow, it was taken for a reason. It tells the other person I'M NOT LEAVING. Infidelity and other egregious matters aside for the moment.
Of course, when I'm grousing at my husband for some stupid thing LOL I tend to sometimes forget these things but we've been together for 30 yrs, married for 28, and are re-negotiating some things now.
Marriage is not an option , barring 3 plus kids
I don’t agree how the family law system is rigged against the higher earning partner
I refuse to be a part of it
Yes that’s an issue too between us but I wont budge
3 or more kids sure

Old 09-02-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Yes , I’m sure she won’t let a guy close to her who isn’t a good influence
After engagement I consulted 3 divorce attorney for pre marriage counseling and decided against it
Weighing the pros and cons

Old 09-02-2022, 10:43 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,763,790 times
Quote:
Marriage is not an option , barring 3 plus kids
I don’t agree how the family law system is rigged against the higher earning partner
I refuse to be a part of it
Yes that’s an issue too between us but I wont budge
3 or more kids sure
I get it. But then why have children at all?

Old 09-02-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I get it. But then why have children at all?
Because you don’t cut off your nose to spite your face

Having kids imho is a biological necessity for some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships