Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 02:34 PM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times

Advertisements

I know too many people who have split up because of one partner's inability to discuss or handle problems. I wonder the percentage of people who are like this. It isn't just personal issues but problems with work or finances, etc. They shut down or avoid instead of facing the issues and I don't see how people can live like this. Things that require immediate attention are met with anger or denial. Why is it so hard to sit down and deal with a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 04:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
maybe lack of emotional maturity

or

possibly a low amount of emotional intelligence

Old 11-19-2022, 05:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I know too many people who have split up because of one partner's inability to discuss or handle problems. I wonder the percentage of people who are like this. It isn't just personal issues but problems with work or finances, etc. They shut down or avoid instead of facing the issues and I don't see how people can live like this. Things that require immediate attention are met with anger or denial. Why is it so hard to sit down and deal with a problem?
I doubt you could get anything other than anecdotal info or conjecture about this, so have to think you are asking if anyone on the forum has seen this. I imagine we all have, especially the younger ones. It seems to me that our younger generations lack the capacity to handle adversity.

I will point out that not discussing a problem is not the same as inability to discuss a problem; nor is it not handling a problem. There are talkers, and there are those that don't like to talk about things. If you press a person to talk when talking isn't their "thing" they will get angry. That doesn't mean denial.

I sense from reading your post that you are a talker, and you are frustrated by a partner who is not, and you've been "poking the bear" too often. That person may not see the issue as a problem; that does not mean they are denying it. It just means they are not bothered by it.

I suspect, if this is you and your partner, you might want to talk with a couple's counselor, without your partner. You might have an unwillingness to accept others as they are, or you may be mismatched.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
You can't really generalize it like a dichotomy.

It's really more of a spectrum and everybody has a tipping point.

That said, from reading the posts at CD Forum, the tipping point is pretty low for most people, meaning relatively simple things stress them out.

Like ... the thought of having to be an Uber Driver would make them put a bullet in their head or something like that. The thought of retiring without a half a million dollars is catastrophic, etc...

1st world self imposed stress.

I've known people who have faced foreclosure, bankruptcy, losing infants to death, etc, etc. Seen a lot.

Putting things in perspective is something I need to work on myself. In a way I think facing true adversity young lets you put things in perspective later. But many people lead sheltered lives and then face adversity in middle age.

Last edited by jobaba; 11-19-2022 at 06:46 PM..

Old 11-19-2022, 08:36 PM

846 posts, read 681,550 times
You're discussing a vague concept without any examples or context.......

Last edited by lair8; 11-19-2022 at 08:45 PM..

Old 11-19-2022, 10:53 PM

867 posts, read 457,337 times
Other people will be people and it shows all over the place now in break ups, divorces and the just throw it away me me me and next mentality, dk what you can do about that though.
Buttttt, you can try to make sure it's not like that in your own relationship though.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 579 times
Quote:
I am a digital marketer and SEO expert

Old 11-20-2022, 05:45 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
There might be too much to unravel or lifestyle choices that need to be undone and then replaced. Problem solving is best when things are noticed early on. Communication of the problem is the next hurdle. Sometimes pointing out that it is a habit can cause defensiveness. So the solution is to handle the problem as an isolated incident. That can tire a person down when the problem is a pattern.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:06 AM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You can't really generalize it like a dichotomy.

It's really more of a spectrum and everybody has a tipping point.

That said, from reading the posts at CD Forum, the tipping point is pretty low for most people, meaning relatively simple things stress them out.

Like ... the thought of having to be an Uber Driver would make them put a bullet in their head or something like that. The thought of retiring without a half a million dollars is catastrophic, etc...

1st world self imposed stress.

I've known people who have faced foreclosure, bankruptcy, losing infants to death, etc, etc. Seen a lot.

Putting things in perspective is something I need to work on myself. In a way I think facing true adversity young lets you put things in perspective later. But many people lead sheltered lives and then face adversity in middle age.
This can apply to everyday issues but I'm thinking mostly of big problems like illness, serious money problems, etc. I see so many things that get out of hand because one party didn't communicate or take any action - basically head in the sand doing nothing then it all blows up.

I wonder how common it is because it I've seen it a lot and experienced it also.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:19 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
People can't live like that, which is why those couples break up. You can't always know and observe in advance another person's character issues before you get into a relationship; sometimes the only way you can find out they don't have good coping skills is when a stressful situation or crisis arises. And it's likely that at least some of the couples you've observed got together without taking much time to get to know each other well in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships