Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 08:48 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,605,825 times

Advertisements

I seem to be too old to "get" this trend of calling one's significant other (whether married or not) "Partner".

While I understand a lot of the basics (it's gender-neutral, it implies more seriousness than just "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" without needing to clarify if married or not) but like many things, I think it gets taken overboard.

I have had a woman tell me she was OFFENDED by me referring to her male partner as a "husband" (they are, in fact, married). Now, I'm not a d*ck so I did apologize and I make sure I say "partner" going forward. Still, it's not my default.

I get the gender-neutral aspect, it just seems like some people go out of their way to prove how "progressive" they are almost to the point of parody.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 08:58 AM

899 posts, read 676,270 times
That would put me off. If I didn't have to talk to her again, I probably wouldn't...it seems like a high-maintenance situation where other land mines may exist. I'm fine with people correcting me but some are disagreeable about how they do it. I guess I'm a dusty relic.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:59 AM

116 posts, read 69,930 times
It also is meant to suggest the person is an 'equal' to the other in a relationship. 'Husband' might suggest his ownership of her in her mind.

I am good with the boyfriend/girlfriend terms, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:02 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,474,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I get the gender-neutral aspect, it just seems like some people go out of their way to prove how "progressive" they are almost to the point of parody.

What do you all think?
I doubt she's trying to bait you with her choice of language, she just wants to be called what she wants.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:07 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,819,137 times
Quote:
I seem to be too old to "get" this trend of calling one's significant other (whether married or not) "Partner".

While I understand a lot of the basics (it's gender-neutral, it implies more seriousness than just "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" without needing to clarify if married or not) but like many things, I think it gets taken overboard.

I have had a woman tell me she was OFFENDED by me referring to her male partner as a "husband" (they are, in fact, married). Now, I'm not a d*ck so I did apologize and I make sure I say "partner" going forward. Still, it's not my default.

What do you all think?
Yea that's strange to me to get offended by it. I can understand preferring to call him your partner, but going as far as getting offended that someone called him your husband is a bit much IMO.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:12 AM

2,996 posts, read 1,668,867 times
I can see at some point in life boyfriend and girlfriend might sound juvenile or even temporary, especially if not married.

But "partner" sounds like a business arrangement. That's kinda sterile.

Partner doesn't necessarily imply equality either, there are different levels of partnership depending on the level of investment in a business.

Husband and wife simply mean a married man and a married woman.

Your friend was rude to angrily correct you in a social situation. You were more than gratious to apologize.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:12 AM

15,076 posts, read 10,136,586 times
Quote:

What do you all think?
This woman has problems.... certainly no reason to get offended....

My female friend and I are regulars at a club. She doesn't drive so she is always with me. It isn't unreasonable for people think she is my wife.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:23 AM

899 posts, read 676,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
I can see at some point in life boyfriend and girlfriend might sound juvenile or even temporary, especially if not married.

But "partner" sounds like a business arrangement. That's kinda sterile.

Partner doesn't necessarily imply equality either, there are different levels of partnership depending on the level of investment in a business.

Husband and wife simply mean a married man and a married woman.

Your friend was rude to angrily correct you in a social situation. You were more than gratious to apologize.
Add to this the thing now with people and their pronouns. "My name is Bob and my pronouns are she and her." "My name is Betty and I go by they and them." How do people keep all that straight (sorry I guess that's a pun)?

When you break from tradition---being asked to refer to the man as a partner, in the OP's example---you're asking people to respect your choice and that's fine. But some people seem to extend that to mean they're the center of the universe, such important delicate snowflakes that how dare you oppress them by calling them the wrong thing? After the initial huff, I'd apologize but my usual thought would be, 'Get over yourself.'

Old 01-25-2023, 09:31 AM

9,401 posts, read 14,347,580 times
In technical legal terms, marriage is similar to a partnership, as in LP that files 1065s and k-1s, and in state civil courts is governed by contract law.

Difference, of course, is that married people (partners) may file joint 1040 returns, and the contract is governed in state civil courts under family law.

In both types of legal contracts, rescind the contract(s), and state civil law governs the distribution of assets among the former partners.

In everyday speech humans often interchange technical legal or other terms with whatever terms come to mind and exit mouth depending on how they feel from time to time.

There may also be legal relationships among adult humans who share living quarters but do not enter into marriage contracts.

At any rate, with their mouths they can call themselves whatever they want.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:36 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,605,825 times
I suppose Significant Other or S.O. is clunky and sounds odd to some, but Partner does sound...businesslike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships