Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 03:24 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

Heck no. If anyone's read a good amt of my posts in this Relationships section, you'll see that I'm NOT for staying friends w/ exes. When I'm done, Im done & want to move on. My last BF was a nice guy & we broke up mutually but doesn't mean I want to stay friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 02:38 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,046,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
My ex and I broke up at the beginning of '22. It wasn't a pleasant split since he was leaving me for someone else and splitting our possessions was contentious after living together for 5 years and we had to deal with occasionally living in the same space for 3 months until he fully moved out. After the move out things got considerably better, I eventually recovered from the split, and I am now in a new relationship for the last three months.

He on the other hand has suggested that he regrets what he did, including a very tearful apology at move out, an "I miss you" or "I really miss you" text that I have ignored every few months, and a lunch meeting that he set up to make sure that I was okay and that he hadn't irreparably damaged me, or something like that. We've continued to remain in contact functionally only because I still take care of our dog once or twice a month and when they are on vacation.

This last weekend though he sent me a Facebook friend request. I'm not sure how to respond to it. Especially since I still occasionally talk to him I don't feel like I can completely ignore it. In 2019 during a several month argument he unfriended me and never re-friended me. I don't know why we went 3 years without while still together, and now he wants to be connected again. My boyfriend isn't prone to be jealous but even so isn't keen on me accepting and having my ex be privy to everything that we decide to share with our friends on there together.

If this was you, how would you handle this?
He's your EX for a reason, and any hanging on is just going to cause one problem after the other. I think you should be able to explain to him that it's over and you've moved on and it's just best if you don't be "friends" on FB. That's why I hate FB ... LOL. I'm a private person and I just don't get that posting all day long and playing on Facebook. I think it's juvenile all the way around, but that's just me. I don't have these problems of "friending" and unfriending and commenting and "liking" stuff all day, even things you don't. FB sucks.

Old 04-25-2023, 03:13 PM

1,702 posts, read 783,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
If this was you, how would you handle this?
I would let sleeping dogs lay and not send or accept requests from an ex. There’s a reason the relationship didn’t work out and a reason you two weren’t friends afterward. I’d try to get closure from moving on with my own life, especially if they are happily living theirs’.

Old 04-25-2023, 03:16 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
Don't do it. My ex used social media to do some terrible things to me, and I didn't realize it because he was good at acting better than that.

Life is too short to throw time away on some random person from your past that you have nothing in common with....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships