Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 09:41 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Without wearing her engagement/wedding ring which she can't even look at.
Find another ring to wear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 09:44 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
She could wear a ring on her finger that is not her wedding set. For any questions from friends or family, she could respond with a simple “it’s not a wedding band. I’m just accustomed to having a ring on that hand” shrug and then chance the subject.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:53 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've heard places like The Villages, can be quite the.... meat market, with STDs skyrocketing. But that's an extreme.

Basically, I would say that men hitting on you is going to be a little more than what you experienced when married, unless you are in a small town where everyone knows everyone, and you are fresh meat. But then wearing a ring would do no good, as they would all know you are single.

What has been your experience so far? And can you give examples of your friends who are experiencing aggressive men asking them out?
It may be more persistent than aggressive actually, but to me that is a thin line. But there are times its just inappropriate, like shortly after a divorce or spousal death. That I've seen straight up and heard many stories of it happening even by friends of the ex or late spouse. One woman I know was even kissed on the mouth by her ex's "friend", a few months after divorce.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It may be more persistent than aggressive actually, but to me that is a thin line. But there are times its just inappropriate, like shortly after a divorce or spousal death. That I've seen straight up and heard many stories of it happening even by friends of the ex or late spouse. One woman I know was even kissed on the mouth by her ex's "friend", a few months after divorce.
Oh yeah. I was about a year out from widowhood, and a guy who was JUST widowed (a month) hit on me. I'm an adult and handled it.

While I wish everyone could write their own rules and hand them out, it doesn't work that way, never has, never will.

Good luck to your friend.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
She could wear a ring on her finger that is not her wedding set. For any questions from friends or family, she could respond with a simple “it’s not a wedding band. I’m just accustomed to having a ring on that hand” shrug and then chance the subject.
That is a good idea. I suspect after some time has passed the opportunistic ones who know she is recently divorced will give up and this issue may fade away for the most part. The ring should keep away strangers anyway.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:32 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
To the last bit about anything being maybe better "in the old days"...what old days? I doubt it.
The only thing I can think of like this would be mourning clothes, and those fell out of favor 100 years ago. Seeing someone in black or with an armband would signal that they're going through some stuff, so be cool.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The only thing I can think of like this would be mourning clothes, and those fell out of favor 100 years ago. Seeing someone in black or with an armband would signal that they're going through some stuff, so be cool.
I wonder if that was a custom for men as well as women. I've seen Victorian mourning jewelry made with human hair.

I kind of like the idea of being able to express things like that through fashion.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:35 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Is it really that hard to avoid being hit on? She could simply not go to clubs and bars, not make eye contact while shopping, and cross her arms when talking to men. Perhaps wearing gray, baggy sweats and no makeup will help.

Old 05-14-2023, 09:07 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Find another ring to wear
Maybe brass knuckles?

Old 05-14-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Maybe brass knuckles?
. We're brainstorming with her. We can do the security guard thing, otherwise known as c-blocking, while she wears an ambiguous ring and a crucifix necklace. Maybe some garlic and a wooden stake too. lol.

Don't know what is so attractive about recent divorcees or how often they are open to dating soon after a divorce but it seems to attract men like bees to nectar. It's like some old timey thing that a divorcee is a tainted woman so open the floodgates. This isn't even just about being directly hit on, it's orbiters hanging around acting like they just want to help. I've seen it before. Knowing a lady is not on the market doesn't even stop them, it just changes their tactics. So it IS tricky. Maybe a neighbor guy offers to help fix the back door and starts hanging around too much. He's always been a good neighbor but then it's different. You reject him and things can get really weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships