Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 12:14 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,968 times

Advertisements

Been casually seeing a guy for a while, we see each other pretty rarely...maybe once every month or two. It's really just a FWB type thing....we basically spend a day or evening together and have sex. I am perfectly fine with this arrangement as we are not compatible other than sexually. I believe I have made it perfectly clear that I am good with the way things are, yet every time he sees me or contacts me he starts off with these apologies and excuses for being out of touch, I always basically tell him there's no need to apologize and not to worry about it but he still always apologizes. Thing is, it's starting to get on my nerves....it's like he thinks I'm sitting waiting around for him to contact me which is the last thing I'm doing. So I'm not sure if he feels guilty (I don't know why he would), or he thinks I want an apology but either way I would really like him to stop, but don't know what else I can say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 12:19 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Maybe he's an inexperienced FWBer. Or with past FWB he's gotten in trouble for not keeping in better touch and doesn't want to take chances.

Old 06-14-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe he's an inexperienced FWBer. Or with past FWB he's gotten in trouble for not keeping in better touch and doesn't want to take chances.

Good point, didn't think of that...I'd think me reassuring him it's no big deal would be enough, he's also stated quite a few times that when he does reach out to me he's always doubting that I'll respond (although there have been a few times that I haven't responded but more often than not I do respond).

He's definitely not an inexperienced FWBer.

Old 06-14-2023, 01:09 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Been casually seeing a guy for a while, we see each other pretty rarely...maybe once every month or two. It's really just a FWB type thing....we basically spend a day or evening together and have sex. I am perfectly fine with this arrangement as we are not compatible other than sexually. I believe I have made it perfectly clear that I am good with the way things are, yet every time he sees me or contacts me he starts off with these apologies and excuses for being out of touch, I always basically tell him there's no need to apologize and not to worry about it but he still always apologizes. Thing is, it's starting to get on my nerves....it's like he thinks I'm sitting waiting around for him to contact me which is the last thing I'm doing. So I'm not sure if he feels guilty (I don't know why he would), or he thinks I want an apology but either way I would really like him to stop, but don't know what else I can say?
If you're not compatible, of course he's going to get on your nerves...lol

Old 06-14-2023, 01:11 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,039,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Say this:

"I really wish you would stop apologizing to me for times that you've been busy. I'm very busy myself and am not always going to be available either. No more apologies, OK?"

If that doesn't work, then find a new FWB

Old 06-14-2023, 01:16 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,232,801 times
He's apologizing because he feels there's something to apologize for.

I kinda fall in line with @tamajane .. But I was thinking maybe he's either not comfortable with this being a FWB situation or thinks this is more than a FWB situation... The other options are still possibilities, though.

I'd say.. Frank discussion. Tell him (More politely than I'm typing this) that you're tired of the constant apologies, and that there's nothing that he needs to apologize for and.. Explain what you feel the relationship is.

If he's thinking it's more than what you think.. That's.. A problem. Make sure you're on the same page, because.. If he DOES think it's more than you do.. It's really only fair to be.. Clear about the situation. Once you're sure he understands how things are, and if he's still OK with it.. And that you've said because of what the relationship is, apologies are not needed/wanted/required.. Hopefully.. It'll stop.

Old 06-14-2023, 01:28 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
Say this:

"I really wish you would stop apologizing to me for times that you've been busy. I'm very busy myself and am not always going to be available either. No more apologies, OK?"

If that doesn't work, then find a new FWB
I think this nails it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He's apologizing because he feels there's something to apologize for.

I kinda fall in line with @tamajane .. But I was thinking maybe he's either not comfortable with this being a FWB situation or thinks this is more than a FWB situation... The other options are still possibilities, though.

I'd say.. Frank discussion. Tell him (More politely than I'm typing this) that you're tired of the constant apologies, and that there's nothing that he needs to apologize for and.. Explain what you feel the relationship is.

If he's thinking it's more than what you think.. That's.. A problem. Make sure you're on the same page, because.. If he DOES think it's more than you do.. It's really only fair to be.. Clear about the situation. Once you're sure he understands how things are, and if he's still OK with it.. And that you've said because of what the relationship is, apologies are not needed/wanted/required.. Hopefully.. It'll stop.
I'm pretty positive that's not it. He contacts me on average maybe once a month (if that) and it's just to see me, that's not consistent with someone who thinks this more than a FWB. Plus when we do see each other it's mainly centered around sex, I mean yes we go out and do other things but most of our interactions center around sex....so I'm pretty sure we are on the same page in terms of what this is. He has even told me--in not so many words--he doesn't want to be in a relationship right now.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:02 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Know anything about his history?

Some individuals who have a tendency to constantly check on others and apologize grew up in a household that was seemingly unstable. As a child, they develop a heightened awareness of the state/temperament of those around them and constantly think of ways to avoid conflict. Think of a child with an overbearing father with a bad/explosive temper. The child is going to develop a heightened sense towards that father; constantly walking on eggshells around him. This becomes something they do automatically/naturally as they enter into adulthood. They'll do whatever it takes not to upset others around them.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Know anything about his history?

Some individuals who have a tendency to constantly check on others and apologize grew up in a household that was seemingly unstable. As a child, they develop a heightened awareness of the state/temperament of those around them and constantly think of ways to avoid conflict. Think of a child with an overbearing father with a bad/explosive temper. The child is going to develop a heightened sense towards that father; constantly walking on eggshells around him. This becomes something they do automatically/naturally as they enter into adulthood. They'll do whatever it takes not to upset others around them.
I don't know much about his upbringing but I do know he is pretty close with his family. I have noticed that he does try to appease people a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships