Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 12:10 AM

676 posts, read 721,084 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine met this nice guy. He’s 10 years her junior. Was married for 20 years or so until wife passed away, he took care of her. put his children thru college. Sounds great right? Well something’s not right to me. He rents a room because he can’t afford rent on his own. He does work a lot and has been at his job a long time. My friend is 67. She’s financially stable. But she’s head over heels for this guy. I told her something doesn’t add up. She wouldn’t hear it. Now she’s talking marriage. Well she’s an adult, and I’m not going to interfere. But am I wrong in thinking something doesn’t add up. Isn’t he after her for financial security? I sure hope not.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 01:16 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Perhaps you are protecting your friend ?

Could his life change - renting a room be his adapting to life after the loss of his wife? Some folks go all out to change their life after such a loss. Maybe for him this was his first step in "re-vamping" his priorities. Just something to consider as you protect your friend.

If your friend had made a negative comment about him that didn't sit well with you then I could see your desire to find fault in this gent that entered her life. I don't see that being the case. You are taking his circumstances and creating a narrative that to be honest- isn't quite clear in your post when you step back .

So my advice- Support your friend, listen, and observe - Behaviors are an indicators.

Old 06-22-2023, 01:27 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
He took care of his sick wife. That indicates he was the sole breadwinner at least for some period of time. He put kids through college. Between medical co-pays and college expenses, that right there is enough to drain a bank account. Maybe he can't afford to own a place or pay for his own apt. Or given his age it could be that he is renting a room to cut expenses and seriously build up his retirement funds.

A 60-ish woman could do a lot worse than a man who was devoted to his sick wife and funded his kids' college. And has a job.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:49 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Maybe she views having a care taker spouse ten years her junior more important at her age.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:26 AM

43,078 posts, read 18,252,401 times
I have a friend who is a widower. He works part time and rents. His wife didn't go quickly and most of their retirement money was spent on medical care. He's the nicest guy you could meet. He told me he would do it all over again in a heartbeat and he's just making due with what he has now.

It's possible you don't know his story.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:30 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
A friend of mine met this nice guy. He’s 10 years her junior. Was married for 20 years or so until wife passed away, he took care of her. put his children thru college. Sounds great right? Well something’s not right to me. He rents a room because he can’t afford rent on his own. He does work a lot and has been at his job a long time. My friend is 67. She’s financially stable. But she’s head over heels for this guy. I told her something doesn’t add up. She wouldn’t hear it. Now she’s talking marriage. Well she’s an adult, and I’m not going to interfere. But am I wrong in thinking something doesn’t add up. Isn’t he after her for financial security? I sure hope not.

Sure, I am able to judge a person based on a handful of sentences you types. Its easy. I guarantee he loves her truly, actually is an eccentric billionaire and just likes living in a rented room, and will spend his life giving her nothing but pleasure and never disagreeing with anything that she says.

Or maybe he is just a person like the rest of us and judging someone that you know nothing about is ridiculous. You want to tell your friend to proceed cautiously with her finances, that seems logical even if the guy has a nice home and a car. The rest, I think you need to relax.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:48 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You don’t say how long your friend has known this man. Has she met his friends and his family?

All you can do is tell your friend to take it slowly and carefully, and NEVER give him any money.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:44 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,042,443 times
Quote:

Not necessarily. Women look for financial security all the time. May not be a rich man, but one that is sound and there's nothing wrong with that. This man may be head over heels for her too, regardless of his financial status. How do you know he doesn't have a nest egg somewhere?

Also, when you're 67 and dating, it's pretty much slim pickin's. If they care about each other, that's all that really matters. Now whether or not she is making a mistake is completely her own business. You should be happy she has a companion in her life at that age. Maybe the guy went through some rough times.

My best friend married a younger man 10 days after meeting him. She was left a sizable inheritance when her husband passed, and she even paid this man's child support arrearage of $10K when they married. They've been married 12 years now and you just never know.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:31 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I have a lady friend who is also age 68, and we are only a month apart in age. We attend various events together or take some day trips, and it's nice not to have to go everywhere solo. It breaks up the solitude of being a single senior, and feels good to have someone to be close to.

She usually stays with me one night per week, and as a life-long single guy it lets me test the waters of co-habitating with someone. Don't laugh, I have lived solo most of my life and it takes me some adjustment to share my little apartment (49 square meters or 527 square feet) with someone else.

Saturday we are going to a big outdoor festival in a city about 30 minutes east by train. Music, entertainment, dancing, food and lots of people will make it a fun event.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:02 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
A friend of mine met this nice guy. He’s 10 years her junior. Was married for 20 years or so until wife passed away, he took care of her. put his children thru college. Sounds great right? Well something’s not right to me. He rents a room because he can’t afford rent on his own. He does work a lot and has been at his job a long time.
Depending on what kind of care his sick wife needed, they could have easily blown through their savings. That doesn't necessarily mean that he's a deadbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships