Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM

158 posts, read 868,338 times

Advertisements

I had my husband served with divorce papers 30 days ago. I guess he had 30 days to obtain a lawyer (if he chose too) and respond. If he does not respond what does that mean. The papers he was served with from what I understand just mean that I have filed for divorce they are not the actual "settlement" papers which after he was served I went in and had written up and he will be getting those next week.

I am wondering can he get a lawyer after the 30 days?

What difference does it make if he gets a lawyer in 30 days or not? Just confuesed about the whole thing.

I was planning an uncontested divorce and am not sure if his not getting a lawyer in 30days is good or bad for me or what difference it makes either way?

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
Why are you asking people in a relationship forum legal questions? You probably looked for a legal forum, but couldn't find one. Know why? We cannot give out legal advice or answer legal questions. All someone could do is tell you their experience, but that in no way shape or form will mean it applies to you, in your state, in your situation. Even an attorney here is going to tell you to ask your attorney. That's what he or she is for. Best of luck to you. So sorry you're going through a divorce. They are so heartbreaking, even when they're friendly.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Why are you asking people in a relationship forum legal questions? You probably looked for a legal forum, but couldn't find one. Know why? We cannot give out legal advice or answer legal questions. All someone could do is tell you their experience, but that in no way shape or form will mean it applies to you, in your state, in your situation. Even an attorney here is going to tell you to ask your attorney. That's what he or she is for. Best of luck to you. So sorry you're going through a divorce. They are so heartbreaking, even when they're friendly.

Just thought someone here might know from experience. It is not a complicated question. Maybe it sounds confuesing to you because I either wrote it confuesing or because you have to have been through it to actually know and once you know it is pretty much the same answer for every one.

I just started thinking about it now so I thought I'd ask instead of waiting till Monday to talk to my attorney but no matter what the answer is it does not change what I am doing I was just suddenly curious.

You sound irritated that I asked this on this paticular forum so I apoligize for annoying you.

I am past being heart broken Looking forward to peace and just wanting the final court day done asap!

thanks for your well wishes

Old 07-20-2008, 12:10 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
Hi. Yeah, my post came out really snotty. I didn't mean it that way, so I apologize for that. There is no need to apologize on your part. Recently, I've been barraged with all sorts of legal questions from a couple friends, so I guess it hit a touchy spot. I'm not an attorney, so I don't know why they are coming to me. Hope you get your answers soon.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:29 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
If he doesnt respond... everything that your lawyer wrote up will be the way the divorce goes.

Can he get a lawyer and respond before the court date occurs? Yeah.. and if that does happen then more then likely the lawyer will ask for the divorce to be pushed out.. which can occur also..

Unless he has agreed to go with an uncontested divorce.. things can change at a drop of a hat... Divorces do tend to get ugly that way

Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Hi. Yeah, my post came out really snotty. I didn't mean it that way, so I apologize for that. There is no need to apologize on your part. Recently, I've been barraged with all sorts of legal questions from a couple friends, so I guess it hit a touchy spot. I'm not an attorney, so I don't know why they are coming to me. Hope you get your answers soon.
LoL, that is funny/wierd that you are asked so many legal questions when you are not and attorney. Well maybe you should be flattered that your friends think you are so smart. anyway thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
If he doesnt respond... everything that your lawyer wrote up will be the way the divorce goes.

Can he get a lawyer and respond before the court date occurs? Yeah.. and if that does happen then more then likely the lawyer will ask for the divorce to be pushed out.. which can occur also..

Unless he has agreed to go with an uncontested divorce.. things can change at a drop of a hat... Divorces do tend to get ugly that way
I keep trying to talk with him about the divorce being "uncontested" He sounds like he is agreeable on minute and then has me wondering the next minute.

Last I talked to him it sounds like he wants to have some legal service look at the papers but is not actually hiring an attorney. maybe this is the "norm" I dont know. What I tell him is if he wants to hire an attorney then I will have to re-write my papers that will hold him responsible for the max. with everything. Right now I am giving him a break to be nice. Which is true. I would rather he use his money on the kids than hand it over to the courts and he and I work this out together.

So I guess i will have to wait and see how it goes.

Thanks for your response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships