Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 1,574 times

Advertisements

My fiancee (23 F) and I have 5 year-old triplets. They are 2 identical twin boys and 1 girl. As the title and username says, we were just 18 year-olds when we had them; shortly after our HS graduation. It was unplanned and I lost my youth in the process.

There are times I briefly imagine hanging out with my friends and drinking on the weekends or attending parties, going to a concern, playing video games for hours on a Sunday, traveling to Paris, France and many more. Last week I drank with my buddies for the first time in the longest. I came home drunk, our kids noticed my sloppy walking, blurry speech (I was still the same affectionate dad; I was just drunk that one time) and my fiancee didn't like it at all. Understandable. I promised it wouldn't happen again. Still, I was just 18 when I became a father of our children and my our parents initially helped us with the expenses.

Sometimes I feel like a kid. Once in a while I imagine the things I'll be missing out and then I'm brought back to reality. I wonder if this happens to other young fathers too. Is it normal to feel this way?

Last edited by YouthfulTony2000; 06-26-2023 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 08:49 AM

215 posts, read 127,863 times
Yes, very normal— at any age really— to begin to miss the things you feel you’re missing out on—- and especially because you both became parents so very young— and with triplets??!!! Standing ovation to you both for keeping it together this long

That said, assuming you want to be the best dad possible to your kids who cannot understand just how young you both are, you must begin to find ways to enjoy life outside of parenthood. It will not be identical to the way pre parents but can still be a lot of fun. Both of you should discuss how to make that work and how it should look.

Remember that soon your friends will also start marrying and having kids so value the beautiful family you already have.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:02 AM

215 posts, read 127,863 times
Also notice I keep saying ‘you both’? It’s important for you to keep in mind that your wife was just 18 also and likely feels the same as you— she may be better at repressing it for now, but….

Look for ways for you both to get some independent time as well as your ‘date’ time which can include concerts, local volleyball or kickball team etc. Just. be sure it’s fair and does not take away from family responsibilities as in overburdening the other.

Can you ask your family for a once a month kid sitting?

Old 06-26-2023, 09:05 AM

36,574 posts, read 30,907,841 times
On the bright side, if you dont have more children, by the time you are mid 30's your kids will be adults and you can revisit your youth, wiser even.
Don't forget your fiancée probably has the same feelings at times.
Can the two of you ever get a babysitter, your parents perhaps, and take a weekend without the kids, a date night now and then, etc.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:11 AM

7,371 posts, read 4,156,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouthfulTony2000 View Post
Sometimes I feel like a kid. Once in a while I imagine the things I'll be missing out and then I'm brought back to reality. I wonder if this happens to other young fathers too. Is it normal to feel this way?
This is a human feeling.

I had kids in my thirties. Back then, I still felt like I missed out on things! In my sixties now and I still feel like a kid!

I'm jealous of you!!! When your kids are in their twenties, you'll be in your late thirties and forties. Where I spent my thirties/forties changing diapers. My kids didn't leave home until my late fifties and early sixties. You'll have those wonderful empty nest years to spend with your wife! You'll be able to travel, have romantic date nights, etc. I'm now able to travel and have romantic date nights, but my husband is nearer to seventy and needs knee replacements before walking around Europe. It's lousy!

Trust me, you have the better hand.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:36 AM

5,658 posts, read 3,167,235 times
OP, I'm curious...why, after 3 kids and 5 years, aren't you and your fiancé married?

Old 06-26-2023, 10:08 AM

6,882 posts, read 4,888,158 times
Financee, still? If you aren't married by now, it doesn't sound like you really want to be. And if you don't want to be, don't do it. A divorce is a more expensive break up. Either way, there's child support.

Of course you are missing out on things. But if we don't miss out on one thing, we're going to miss out on another. You can't have it all. I would suggest that you get a vasectomy, so that if it doesn't work out with your fiancee, you won't be having any additional children with any other women. As I'm sure you figured out by now, children are very expensive and they are very time consuming.

I hope you weren't driving drunk. Getting drunk is a stupid thing at any age and you are not missing anything in that regard. As for France, it will still be there, as will the rest of the world, for later.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:40 AM

12,785 posts, read 15,010,201 times
Not in my experience, but I'm sure my fiance's father (& mother) felt like they lost their youth since they were only 19 & 20 when my fiance' & his twin brother were born. Then, they had 2 more kids 8-10 yrs later.

Actually, fiance's father told him & his twin that his mom was going to abort them out of fear of her strict father.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:14 PM

36,574 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Financee, still? If you aren't married by now, it doesn't sound like you really want to be. And if you don't want to be, don't do it. A divorce is a more expensive break up. Either way, there's child support.

Of course you are missing out on things. But if we don't miss out on one thing, we're going to miss out on another. You can't have it all. I would suggest that you get a vasectomy, so that if it doesn't work out with your fiancee, you won't be having any additional children with any other women. As I'm sure you figured out by now, children are very expensive and they are very time consuming.

I hope you weren't driving drunk. Getting drunk is a stupid thing at any age and you are not missing anything in that regard. As for France, it will still be there, as will the rest of the world, for later.
Good grief. The OP is having normal human feelings about missing the freedom of youth and you're talking about vasectomy and divorce.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:21 PM

22,611 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouthfulTony2000 View Post
My fiancee (23 F) and I have 5 year-old triplets. They are 2 identical twin boys and 1 girl. As the title and username says, we were just 18 year-olds when we had them; shortly after our HS graduation. It was unplanned and I lost my youth in the process.

There are times I briefly imagine hanging out with my friends and drinking on the weekends or attending parties, going to a concern, playing video games for hours on a Sunday, traveling to Paris, France and many more. Last week I drank with my buddies for the first time in the longest. I came home drunk, our kids noticed my sloppy walking, blurry speech (I was still the same affectionate dad; I was just drunk that one time) and my fiancee didn't like it at all. Understandable. I promised it wouldn't happen again. Still, I was just 18 when I became a father of our children and my our parents initially helped us with the expenses.

Your not-yet-wife (why not?) was also 18 when SHE became a mother to triplets.
She 'missed out' as much as you did.
Hopefully she gets to go out with her friends too.

Why not get married and take her on honeymoon to France?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships