Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 04:28 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCTTV View Post
I'm 26 and no it's not "so junior high". It's just being afraid to lose a friendship over something I might be delusional.
But at the end I will most probably be direct and ask her out.
The reason I posted here is to see if anyone can relate and tell me if I'm just crazy...
Just keep on doing what you are doing (nothing) and one of these days she will show up with a guy that had the cojones to ask her out. Men and women that can't just ask a person of interest out, deserve to not get a date.

If you are now thinking of saying you can't ask her out because of anxiety - get therapy because your problem is more than someone declining your invitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 05:06 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
So, what is going on here? Should I keep on going, flirting and complimenting her after she posts on instagram, or should I "up" my game and do something else (what else)? Or, am I just delusional because I'm crushing so bad and I'm imagining attraction where there isn't one?
Please, give me your honest opinions and advice, I really need them, I feel like I'm starting to lose my mind... Thanks in advance!
You might as well ‘up your game’ considering you are devoid of any at this point. Heh, kidding! Rather than over-analyzing the situation (or complimenting her too much), why not just ask her on a date? It will tell you if she is interested or not (and hopefully will save you from losing your mind or obsessing as well). :-)

That said, are you (even) clear as to why you’re interested in her? You seem a bit unrealistic, disingenuous and/or ‘googly-eyed’; if it’s readable in a forum, it’s likely evident to her as well. You may frighten her and/or give her stalker vibes (if you haven’t already done so), although you mentioned you’re friends.

Hence, why don’t you know ‘what is going on here’?

Old 07-10-2023, 08:48 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
So, the story goes like this. I've been crushing on her for more than 9 months and in that time, there were many signs from her that she might be interested. Signs such as prolonged eye contact, glancing at me when I don't look at her, being close to me, smiling with warmest smile with eyes whenever we see eachother at Uni. We had many text chats about some random study stuff, about some tv shows and when she needed help buying a new phone, she asked me for advice. Whenever I initiate contact through replying to her stories on instagram (joking or lightly flirting and complimenting her), she always responds quickly, in like less than 15 minutes, sometimes replies instantly. And her replies are always laughing with lots of "hahahahahaha" and some approving comment (like when I told her she looks brighter than the Sun, so I need to wear glasses around her, she says "Yes you need to, or else you may go blind") with laughing emojis. She even wished me happy birthday first thing in the morning when she woke up, which quite surprised me.

But, what confuses me is some other things she does. Such as, she never replies to my stories on instagram, she likes my posts but never stories. She rarely initiates contact and when she does, it's usually about studying or in those rare occasions when she asked for help about her phone. Her behaviour changes when she is in a group setting and when I join them, she becomes quiet, looking down and glancing at me from time to time even tho her personality is quite outgoing. She never hugs me when she see me, which she does with her other male or female friends.

So, what is going on here? Should I keep on going, flirting and complimenting her after she posts on instagram, or should I "up" my game and do something else (what else)? Or, am I just delusional because I'm crushing so bad and I'm imagining attraction where there isn't one?
Please, give me your honest opinions and advice, I really need them, I feel like I'm starting to lose my mind... Thanks in advance!

Trust your intuition. The fact you're asking for clarification tells me somethings off. My advice? Back off and see where it goes. Cut back on the text messages/stories.

If she is interested, she will pick up the slack. If not, you will have your answer.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:54 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
I'm 26 and no it's not "so junior high". It's just being afraid to lose a friendship over something I might be delusional.
But at the end I will most probably be direct and ask her out.
The reason I posted here is to see if anyone can relate and tell me if I'm just crazy...
When I was in HS I worried about that. After I got a few nos under my belt, I realized that if it was awkward, it usually wasn't for very long. Nobody is a mind reader. Just ask her out.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:30 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
"Crushing" for nine months and did nothing in that time to determine if she truly liked you?

It's the same old story time after time on this section of the forum. Guys developing an obsession for a female without even knowing if there's genuine mutual attraction. It's always, "she looks at me from time to time," "she smiles at me occassionally," "she texts me daily," so on and so forth. None of that indicates any physical/sexual attraction whatsoever, even taken in combination.

All the OP had to do nine months ago was ask her out on a date. Could even be something simple as coffee or lunch, and if there seems to be genuine chemistry there, then ask for another.

And sorry, but the OP's excuse about not wanting to ruin the friendship is a classic copout. Why would there be fear of 'ruining' a friendship, when in reality he would not want to be 'friends' with her if she rejected him. It's always that fear of rejection and the sinking realization that one misjudged another's interest level, that keeps guy's from asking women out. Yet by not doing so, all they are doing is prolonging the inevitable.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:57 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I'm not even seeing a friendship here.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:07 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
OP, you're putting a lot of weight into emojis on instagram posts. Ask her to coffee 1:1 and see if she a. accepts, and b. actually seems interested vs. just being polite.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:41 AM

464 posts, read 314,732 times
Quote:
But, what confuses me is some other things she does. Such as, she never replies to my stories on instagram, she likes my posts but never stories. She rarely initiates contact and when she does, it's usually about studying or in those rare occasions when she asked for help about her phone. Her behaviour changes when she is in a group setting and when I join them, she becomes quiet, looking down and glancing at me from time to time even tho her personality is quite outgoing. She never hugs me when she see me, which she does with her other male or female friends.
The bolded above says it all. I've been there, myself, at university. She is just using you for your intelligence.

How is she to you away from the academic scene? Or when she doesn't have a tech problem? See my point?

No doubt you carry a huge burden because you never know if a girl likes you for you; or if they are just after your brains.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:47 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
OP, as you are almost at the age of 30, what previous experience have you had with women, and how are you applying those lessons learned to your current situation?

Old 07-11-2023, 11:10 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
So, the story goes like this. I've been crushing on her for more than 9 months and in that time, there were many signs from her that she might be interested. Signs such as prolonged eye contact, glancing at me when I don't look at her, being close to me, smiling with warmest smile with eyes whenever we see eachother at Uni. We had many text chats about some random study stuff, about some tv shows and when she needed help buying a new phone, she asked me for advice. Whenever I initiate contact through replying to her stories on instagram (joking or lightly flirting and complimenting her), she always responds quickly, in like less than 15 minutes, sometimes replies instantly. And her replies are always laughing with lots of "hahahahahaha" and some approving comment (like when I told her she looks brighter than the Sun, so I need to wear glasses around her, she says "Yes you need to, or else you may go blind") with laughing emojis. She even wished me happy birthday first thing in the morning when she woke up, which quite surprised me.

I suspect the answer is right there.

To the OP:

My advice is back off texting. As others have suggested this woman does not appear to be interested in you the way you would like. Your intuition tells you something is not right. And what is not right is you are misreading the signals.

Now, I could be wrong which is why I suggest you cut back on texting. If she is interested in you, she'll pick up the slack.

The last thing you want is to “up your game." Even asking her out for coffee won't tell much because she already knows you. What you are looking for is a clear indication of interest as.... boyfriend material. So, stop texting. Let her initial the contact. If she contacts you for help with her study and you want to help...o.k. But after helping let her carry on the conversation. Do not initiate it yourself.

When I was dating there was no texting or even voice mail. Someone had to pick up the phone and rejection was more straightforward. And the pain more immediate.

Hearing "I'm sorry but I'm busy" twice was enough for me to get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships