Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,272,713 times

Advertisements

No man, You just assumed she was a man without considering that she may be a woman! LOL

I think it's perfectly acceptable that you don't want kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 12:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coem View Post
I've always known that I don't want to have kids. It's not that I hate them, in fact working with kids is part of my job; I just know that the parenting lifestyle isn't for me.

In my early 20s, this wasn't really a problem when dating girls since at that age, having kids isn't really on people's minds. However, now that I'm in my late 20s, I'm finding that as soon as I tell a girl that I don't want to have kids, she loses interest in me. Is there anyone else who also plans on not having children who has this problem. Anyone know of an online social network/dating site for people like us?
There are child free by choice boards on line. Try googling.

You might want to consider dating women a bit older too. Younger women may not know what they want out of life yet. Young people are often experimenting to figure out what they want. Having kids is so "normal" that they may just assume they do want kids and could discover later that they don't.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There are child free by choice boards on line. Try googling.

You might want to consider dating women a bit older too. Younger women may not know what they want out of life yet. Young people are often experimenting to figure out what they want. Having kids is so "normal" that they may just assume they do want kids and could discover later that they don't.

Thats a really good idea for this guy! There are loads of 50 year old out there who won't be popping out babies! Unless they have IVF!!! lol

Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Thats a really good idea for this guy! There are loads of 50 year old out there who won't be popping out babies! Unless they have IVF!!! lol
Hmmm? I'm getting close

Actually, I was just thinking about how women in their 20's often don't know what they want. 30 somethings (who BTW are more closely matched to an 18 guy from a sex drive point of view) are more likely to have decided what they want.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:32 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,872,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Hmmm? I'm getting close

Actually, I was just thinking about how women in their 20's often don't know what they want. 30 somethings (who BTW are more closely matched to an 18 guy from a sex drive point of view) are more likely to have decided what they want.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:35 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
To the poster who suggested that parenthood was wonderful after not wanting it... fine for you. The OP knows his mind. Should he plunge into parenthood to get a relationship and discover, oops, he still doesn't want to be a parent? Why should he "examine his reasons?" I think people who (often automatically) assume they will have children should examine *their* reasons and assumptions. After all, the default program isn't to have kids without thinking (or shouldn't be). When you buy a car, do you wake up and say, "Hey, how did that Toyota get into my driveway?"
I think people give more thought to big purchases than to whether or not they want to be parents. Hats off to the OP for thinking about it and knowing his mind.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,919,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
To the poster who suggested that parenthood was wonderful after not wanting it... fine for you.

The OP knows his mind. Should he plunge into parenthood to get a relationship and discover, oops, he still doesn't want to be a parent? Why should he "examine his reasons?" I think people who (often automatically) assume they will have children should examine *their* reasons and assumptions. After all, the default program isn't to have kids without thinking (or shouldn't be).
Great response!

J

Old 06-04-2008, 03:50 PM

166 posts, read 705,895 times
Thanks for all your responses... quite a little debate I started here, lol. I did end up finding some good websites.

It's always an interesting debate when you tell someone you don't want kids. I've been called things like "selfish" or "afraid to be an adult" by a couple people who don't understand. Again, I love kids and I understand why most people enjoy being parents... but it's just not for me. A house in the suburbs, a minivan, PTA meetings, and "family" vacations is simply not the lifestyle that I enjoy living. This was how I felt when I was 18, and even though a lot of things have changed in my life since then, it's still how I feel ten years later.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:37 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,920 times
We're out there. I am a 29 year old married woman and have known for a very long time that I did not want children. If you look good enough you will find others who feel the same way, it's hard for me living here in the midwest region but not impossible.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,872,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
We're out there. I am a 29 year old married woman and have known for a very long time that I did not want children. If you look good enough you will find others who feel the same way, it's hard for me living here in the midwest region but not impossible.
Thats what I'm hoping, to meet some childfree girls on the West Coast. You're a good woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships