Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times

Advertisements

The other one is interesting to me, but I had an additional question that I thought called for a separate thread.

If the person you were dating told you he or she was once a prostitute, would you stop dating the person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
A wise old sage on a drilling rig once told me:

"Some of the best wives used to be street walkin' hoes."

He said it with such authority and conviction that I was inclined to believe him. Never judge a man's worth by how complete his set of teeth and fingers is.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,730 times
This would be several steps too far for me. I MIGHT be able to get over an out of character visit to a prostitute or strip club, but to be with someone who actually WAS a prostitute is just too much for me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Pretty Woman, but just couldn't do it personally.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Don't get me wrong, I loved Pretty Woman, but just couldn't do it personally.
Awww, come on. I'm sure there are lots of hookers in Trenton who look like Julia Roberts.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:16 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Awww, come on. I'm sure there are lots of hookers in Trenton who look like Julia Roberts.
- Thanks, I needed that!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,964 times
My ex and I were having severe problems (like he changed his mind about having kids after he told me for years that he did want kids) and while I was trying to decide whether to stick with him and be childless or leave, an old friend of his told me that my ex (a guy) had, many years earlier, had sex for money. I had NO clue about this. The friend said it was just rich women and I tend to believe that. To me, that was the end. I did confront my ex about it and he said it was true (kind of proudly, which further sent me out the door.) Shortly after I confronted him but before I moved out, perhaps due to stress, he had an outbreak of venereal warts (this had never happened during our courtship or marriage of 3 years either, and I was completely unaware of the warts as well.) That disclosure completely horrified me since now I felt like my health was at risk (I am wart and HPV-free, thank goodness.) I began to wonder, what else is out there that I don't know about? I thought I really knew this person. He was a totally different person by the time I married him (I think) than he had been 15+ years earlier, but to find out this information from somebody else left me with absolutely NO desire to be with him. Had he disclosed this to me earlier, before we got married, and if we didn't have the children issue, I might have been able to overlook these things that happened in his early 20s.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Had he disclosed this to me earlier, before we got married, and if we didn't have the children issue, I might have been able to overlook these things that happened in his early 20s.
That sounds reasonable to me. Also, it bothers me that he was acting so proud of it, but maybe I'm being too judgmental. I'm sorry to read that that's the way it all happened.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:27 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
That sounds reasonable to me. Also, it bothers me that he was acting so proud of it, but maybe I'm being too judgmental. I'm sorry to read that that's the way it all happened.
Thanks . I really felt just icky for a long time afterwards. The most ironic thing about the whole business was that the thing he was paid to do, I thought was pretty mediocre . Now I can LOL about it, I'm happy to say .

Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
The other one is interesting to me, but I had an additional question that I thought called for a separate thread.

If the person you were dating told you he or she was once a prostitute, would you stop dating the person?
Well, aside from the initial jaw drop that might ensue... *shudder*

People have their reasons for taking on certain jobs. A lot of dancers in my area are simply women trying to put themselves through college. Night after night, they adorn skimpy clothes and perform for drunk men.... just so that one day, they can leave the loop and make a new life for themselves.

Yes, prostitution is different. Dancing is just showing off. Prostitution is selling your "bedly activities" to another.

I try not to judge others solely by the choices they make. It's the why that makes the difference in my mind.

Yes, I jumped around a bit. However, in short, if my husband were to tell me that he used to be a prostitute: my feelings for him would not change.

The only thing I would ask is that he uses his past "work skills" to good use after the lights go out. Bow Chicka Bow Wow!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well, aside from the initial jaw drop that might ensue... *shudder*

People have their reasons for taking on certain jobs. A lot of dancers in my area are simply women trying to put themselves through college. Night after night, they adorn skimpy clothes and perform for drunk men.... just so that one day, they can leave the loop and make a new life for themselves.

Yes, prostitution is different. Dancing is just showing off. Prostitution is selling your "bedly activities" to another.

I try not to judge others solely by the choices they make. It's the why that makes the difference in my mind.

Yes, I jumped around a bit. However, in short, if my husband were to tell me that he used to be a prostitute: my feelings for him would not change.

The only thing I would ask is that he uses his past "work skills" to good use after the lights go out. Bow Chicka Bow Wow!
I think this is a noble outlook, but there have to be limits. For example, if I have a better reason for punching a baby than the next guy it shouldn't matter; I'm still punching babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships