Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times

Advertisements

As other posters have said, If she hasn't asked for them then no point going through all the trouble of giving them back. Get rid of them whatever way you see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 06:26 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times
My questions is.. are they of her? If they are.. others might not want them (but there's weirder people in the world).

I also will vote for the "if she hasn't asked for them back..." and do as you want with them.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I say sell them and make some profit LOL If she gave them to him, then they are his. Seriously though, if he thinks she may want them back and they were not a gift to him, then I'd say do the mutual friend thing, call someone and ask them to contact her, and have the mutual friend pick them up or you can drop them at a neutral location for the ex.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
If your husband thinks a call would be awkward, just send them to her and let her make the decision about what she wants to do with them.

Instead of him writing the note, maybe you should jot a little something down. " We are redecorating and while these paintings are beautiful, they are not the style we are trying to achieve. I thought I would offer them to you."

You get the jist...Good luck! Sort of a sticky one but very upstanding of you to want to offer them back to her.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlintheglass View Post
Yikes, sounds like a really tough call. Being an artist, I would want them back... if they were my work, however, if they were done by someone else, I would not give it a second thought. Why open old wounds for her or possibly create drama for you? Na, just give them to a charity, good will come frim that, then close that door. good luck in which ever way you go.
Yes, this. If they were paintings that I had painted, I would want first refusal to have them back or choose to let them go.. If they were not created by me, I wouldn't expect to get them back, and probably wouldn't care if I didn't.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 AM

280 posts, read 1,222,129 times
unless she is coming over for coffee, how is she going to know? I would donate them, I wouldn't stir up past emotions, its not good for anyone - somethings in the past should stay in the past, he doesn't owe her anything anymore.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:36 AM

598 posts, read 2,074,988 times
We don't know anyone that she talks to anymore (she moved out of town after the breakup) so that option won't work. And we don't know her address. She painted them, they weren't store-bought.

No, she hasn't asked for them back. And I personally can't imagine why she would want them back - wouldn't they just remind her of him? But my husband, who himself is arty, almost feels like it's disrespectful to give them away.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlchick View Post
But my husband, who himself is arty, almost feels like it's disrespectful to give them away.
I'd feel the same way since they are her paintings. Of course, you're not supposed to go out of your way to give them to her, but it would be a nice gesture and it might be appreciated.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
I know, that would be the best solution! But there isn't anyone that is a connection between them.

I thought maybe he could just ship them to her? With a note, "thought you might want these?"

I don't know, the situation is weird because the relationship ended badly and she still wanted him back for years. Sigh.
I wonder if contacting her now would bring back these feelings of wanting him back?

Quote:
We don't know anyone that she talks to anymore (she moved out of town after the breakup) so that option won't work. And we don't know her address. She painted them, they weren't store-bought.

No, she hasn't asked for them back. And I personally can't imagine why she would want them back - wouldn't they just remind her of him? But my husband, who himself is arty, almost feels like it's disrespectful to give them away.
Since they are artwork she painted, I am thinking you should at least give her the option. If you want help finding her, come to the people search forum, they are pretty good at finding people who don't want to be found, nevermind people who are not hiding.

If it were anything else, like jewelry or something then I wouldn't think returning them would be a great idea but in this case maybe it will help her move on with her life and I would think as an artist she would want them if only to see the evolution of her work.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times
If it was an old relationship I wouldn't want to profit from it in anyway shape or form nor would I use anything from an ex. I'd donate it! That's just me. No need to contact an ex, you folks are married and have your own lives. No need to disrupt someone elses life and you folks are happy w/ your own, let by gones be by gones and move forward w/ a clean slate. Someone else could use the property and appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships