Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 PM

103 posts, read 322,520 times

Advertisements

Ok. I have been single for quite some time (not that I'm complaining, but seriously) and I just wonder how, especially in large cities people meet significant others. For people that live in larger cities and anywhere, basically, your day is spent waking up and going to work where you talk to the saaaame people. You talk to no one on your way to work and the people in your office are the same people that are always there. You go home and do the saaaame thing. If you go out on the weekends, you are drinking and usually the talk you have with people of the opposite sex is drunken/playful/not serious. I mean it just a matter of being in the right place at the right time? I've seen numerous people that are cute/I would date but its usually at a place and time when it is not feasible to talk (i.e. on the streets, at a restaurant). What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Don't go out drinking and find an actual hobby. Volunteer. Go ride your bike at the park. Join a club. Visit the library. You aren't so naive to think you'd find commitment at a bar, would you?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
I think you need to come out of your box.. and out of your norm.. Talk to those people you see on the streets that you feel are cute and try to get some chit chat going on.. Hey do it in the grocery store and open a conversation about the food there... you got a 50 50 chance of it helping you out.. one thing is for sure.. if you dont try.. it will never happen.. up your chances by trying...

If you have been trying, maybe you need to reevaluate the way you talk or something else.. not sure.. best of luck to you on finding your SO!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Don't go out drinking and find an actual hobby. Volunteer. Go ride your bike at the park. Join a club. Visit the library. You aren't so naive to think you'd find commitment at a bar, would you?
I believe he covered that in his post and noted that type of stuff was not serious.. the rest of your post was excellent.. I believe the bolded stuff was demeaning and therefore was not appropriate...

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I believe he covered that in his post and noted that that type of stuff was not serious.. the rest of your post was excellent.. I believe the bolded stuff was demeaning and therefore was not appropriate...
Well it certainly wasn't meant to be demeaning, more of a playful jab. Too bad online typing doesn't always get construed correctly.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Well it certainly wasn't meant to be demeaning, more of a playful jab. Too bad online typing doesn't always get construed correctly.
Aye it doesnt.. its not like any of us can hear what you are saying.. thats why online stuff can be so frustrating at times.. I tend to leave out jabs unless I really mean the jabs... but that is just me!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Aye it doesnt.. its not like any of us can hear what you are saying.. thats why online stuff can be so frustrating at times.. I tend to leave out jabs unless I really mean the jabs... but that is just me!
Well that's what the emoticons are for! Besides, jabbing is fun. Taking life too seriously only makes a boring existence.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFeno1 View Post
Ok. I have been single for quite some time (not that I'm complaining, but seriously) and I just wonder how, especially in large cities people meet significant others. For people that live in larger cities and anywhere, basically, your day is spent waking up and going to work where you talk to the saaaame people. You talk to no one on your way to work and the people in your office are the same people that are always there. You go home and do the saaaame thing. If you go out on the weekends, you are drinking and usually the talk you have with people of the opposite sex is drunken/playful/not serious. I mean it just a matter of being in the right place at the right time? I've seen numerous people that are cute/I would date but its usually at a place and time when it is not feasible to talk (i.e. on the streets, at a restaurant). What gives?
Well, for one, when your coworker tells you she has a friend who she'd like you to meet, listen. I swear my best friend and one of my ex coworkers were separated at birth. I could see them hitting it off but I couldn't convince either one of them to meet. Yeah, they shared skepticism as a trait too . And they both complained they couldn't meet anyone. Hey, I tried.

Seriously, joint a singles group. Not with the idea of meeting someone but with the idea of getting out there, getting active and having fun. That way if you do meet someone, it's someone who shares your interests.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Well that's what the emoticons are for! Besides, jabbing is fun. Taking life too seriously only makes a boring existence.

yeah I was told before that I look like I am a serious type.. just me !!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Change your routine around. Go somewhere diffrent for lunch, etc.
Join a local gym. Find a church thats suitable for you.
There are always ways around the everyday ho hum..you just have to be willing to find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships