Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,861,165 times

Advertisements

Your old man is a moron. A selfish moron. You should have put a boot in his a$$ for the cheating alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,154,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I work, I make six figures, I bring home the majority of the bacon. I'm a highly educated woman (although you'd hardly notice from the typos & grammatical errors)

When my husband and I first got married we made approx the same money

Me:$55K, Him: 50K

Now with my promotions, and he unfortunately had to find a new job it looks like this

Me: $85K, Him: $48K

We are looking to relocate because I can't really handle the weather here anymore. But if we move I'm working DARN hard on getting a job that makes more money and realize that IF my husband can find work, he'll be making even less. So it will look like:

Me: $110-120K, Him: $35K (if he can find work)

Not only are we worried about making less and being able to buy a home, but I'm worried he's going to feel worse about not providing. He's an amazing man who cleans the house and takes care of the kids MUCH MORE then I ever do. But he does takes life too seriously and gets depressed easily - so I'm worried about his stability because I don't want to make him feel like his quality of life decreased. He's also worried about getting a house to make me feel better. (Our current home is small)

Anyway - how would you feel? As a man (he's not a macho guy, he's much more a homebody quiet kind of man) how does this scenario play out? Would you be okay with being a minor contributor in money?
I see that your more concerned with his feeling than you are with your own. To me, I would find this as a wonderful thing. You are showing strength as a woman thats hard to find, in the home and in the working field. I am proud of my best half because shes such a hard worker, even if we don't make tons of money. But qualities like yours and my wife are a dying bread. He should be proud of you as well.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:
Can anyone imagine this conversation in reverse! Well my wife doesn't make as much as me, i don't want to hurt her ego! I am really lucky she takes care of the house and kids, come on people. How long have women been working? We should be beyond this, i know I have confessed to doing the majority of housework as well as working but i ruined my husband from the getgo 27 years ago.
Exactly! Women have pretty much always earned less. Been the ones expected to give up education and careers to care for children setting them back. Been the ones expected to leave their job to pack up and follow their husbands. I dont recall anyone being concerned about her ego. Women have been told their job as mother and housekeeper isnt anywhere near as important as the wage earners and that her job isnt important because she makes less.

I think it is great the op cares so much about her husbands feelings. If more people were genuinly concerned about their spouses as she, there would be less divorce. In our society today, I just dont understand why we need worry about coddling a mans ego over the same circumstance women have been living in forever. I would think a man would be happy that his wife works and can earn the big $$.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 AM

23 posts, read 28,737 times
Frankly, since you are here asking about it, I'd say it seems that YOU are more bothered about it then he is. Are you projecting your feelings of discomfort onto him?

Honestly look at your own feelings. Do you resent the fact that he isn't making money or that he had to find a new job? Do you feel like you are having to "take care of him" and that your relationship is unequal? The fact that you are having him relocate and not really giving him any say in the matter (it's clear he is only going because you want him to) shows that there is some inequality in your relationship that doesn't have to do with money.

I just got out of a long term relationship very like yours. I made significantly more then my SO and was basically supporting him so he could pay off his MASSIVE debt. He was a great guy but I felt more like his mother then his partner most of the time.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:16 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,689,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The further either partner goes in his/her career and the more money either of them make, the better it is for both of them.

All that other ego related crap is a sign of emotional immaturity or character weakness and has no place in a mature stable relationship.

I would totally agree with that statement except when my wife who makes almost double my salary started to say things like "this is my house", these are "my kids", and she basically started to treat me as an after- thought. For example if there was a meeting that ran over it was OK to delay taking me out for my birthday the job was much more important. Now mind you this was in spite of the fact that she would NEVER stand it if I pulled the same stunt with my job, and I too am also one of men who helps out around the house (even though we are fortunate enough to have someone to cook, clean, and take care of the household while we work during the week.) I did start to become depressed because I felt like the only true contribution (that really counts) is the amount of money one brings home. I would work OT weather I had to or not. Now some of you might call this a "male ego gone terribly wrong", but bringing in that OT for me was the way I initially addressed a very serious issue in our relationship. Of course since then I deal withit in a much more healthy way, and speak to a therapist.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:04 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:
I would totally agree with that statement except when my wife who makes almost double my salary started to say things like "this is my house", these are "my kids", and she basically started to treat me as an after- thought. For example if there was a meeting that ran over it was OK to delay taking me out for my birthday the job was much more important. Now mind you this was in spite of the fact that she would NEVER stand it if I pulled the same stunt with my job, and I too am also one of men who helps out around the house (even though we are fortunate enough to have someone to cook, clean, and take care of the household while we work during the week.) I did start to become depressed because I felt like the only true contribution (that really counts) is the amount of money one brings home. I would work OT weather I had to or not. Now some of you might call this a "male ego gone terribly wrong", but bringing in that OT for me was the way I initially addressed a very serious issue in our relationship. Of course since then I deal withit in a much more healthy way, and speak to a therapist.
It is bad behavior on the part of your wife, but again that is exactly the behavior many women have dealt with before the days they could actually earn good money.

Just one question if you are fortunate enough to have someone to cook, clean, and take care of the household while we work during the week how exactly are you one of those men that "help out" around the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships