Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:45 PM

22,321 posts, read 29,407,323 times

Advertisements

Guys never approached me. They were way too intimidated by me. However, when I did approach, then I was deemed too aggressive..Go figure???? I spent WAY too many Friday nights by myself.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
I was beginning to wonder why girls never approach guys? Why does it always have to be the guys to approach girls? Why do guys always have to do the hard work; the approaching, the greeting, the 'asking out' routine', all that?

Now I've never approached a girl, not even asking her out because I can't take the risk of rejection. One girl did approach me back in high school, but that was it.
Oh, now I feel bad. I once joked about you not getting dates. I've very little knowledge of you other than that you don't want children, so hopefully I didn't upset you.

Most women don't approach guys due to cultural reasons. It's not that the desire isn't there, it's just that girls are taught to give subtler signals of interest and it's generally up to the guys to figure those signals out. Unfair, but since when has life ever been fair? Historically, if a woman were to do the approaching, she'd get poorly labeled and who wants that? Yet, the times they are a changin' and women are starting to take on the risk of being rejected. And, women fear rejection, too. I just wouldn't hold your breath if I were you, because those women are still the minority. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you have a pleasant encounter with someone, then by all means ask her out on a date. Rejection isn't always personal and while it might sting, it's not lethal.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 PM

202 posts, read 1,075,252 times
I've been approached by quite a few girls. Maybe new england girls are more aggressive.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
I've been approached by quite a few girls. Maybe new england girls are more aggressive.
I hope its that way on the West Coast.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Also since he is only 19, he probably looks his age. When I was 19, I had no real interest in going out with guys. Why? Because I was still learning about myself and trying to figure out where I was going in life. I wasn't interested in getting married right away or even wanting to have kids, so dating random guys was at the bottom of my list of things to do then. So when LAFan gets older, he might seem more approachable.

Also, how a man dresses and carries himself has a lot to do with how appealing he looks to the women around him. He should have a pleasant and openly friendly expression on his face. Appearing anxious, uncomfortable, uncertain or unhappy or even angry would be a huge turnoff. Unless LAFan has perfected the ultimate poker face, I don't think that he realizes how his emotions can be easily read on his face by others.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,662 times
I have never approached a guy, I always thought that would make me look desperate or slutty, I know, I'm really out of touch . But the weird thing is that my man was too shy to approach girls, so it was all thanks to his buddy that we got together, neither of us would have ever made a move.

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
i dont do well with relationships at all. but i read some great stuff on these posts.
some of us attract people but they are the wrong people.
i liked a lot what was said about friendships instead of trying to catch a hottie.
but of course in my case that will be easy pretty soon our main concern will be about not bumping into each others walker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Also since he is only 19, he probably looks his age. When I was 19, I had no real interest in going out with guys. Why? Because I was still learning about myself and trying to figure out where I was going in life. I wasn't interested in getting married right away or even wanting to have kids, so dating random guys was at the bottom of my list of things to do then. So when LAFan gets older, he might seem more approachable.

Also, how a man dresses and carries himself has a lot to do with how appealing he looks to the women around him. He should have a pleasant and openly friendly expression on his face. Appearing anxious, uncomfortable, uncertain or unhappy or even angry would be a huge turnoff. Unless LAFan has perfected the ultimate poker face, I don't think that he realizes how his emotions can be easily read on his face by others.
Do I sound like I'm looking for a relationship right now? I'm referring to the future. Maybe by then, my smiles will more popular than now and my head will be bald by then, since I'm losing my hair.

I wasn't even thinking of the kids/childfree subject until girls at my old school, all they were talking about is kids and watching Maury.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I have never approached a guy, I always thought that would make me look desperate or slutty, I know, I'm really out of touch . But the weird thing is that my man was too shy to approach girls, so it was all thanks to his buddy that we got together, neither of us would have ever made a move.
I thought women don't respect men who send their friends over to the girl he likes. Someone told me that.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:02 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
He should have a pleasant and openly friendly expression on his face.
Works for me every time!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships