Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

This seems to be the appropriate category for this post.

Okay. I'm a writer. I spend large amounts of time in the library (In fact, that's where I am right now). I'm not some decrepit old fart who reminisces about the Good Old Days of etiquette. At the same time, I'm sitting here wondering how so many people can be so inconsiderate of others. Here, from my humble little library table, are some of the things I've observed in the past 15 minutes.

1. The gaggle of little old men over in the periodicals corners who treat the library as if it is a coffee shop. Evidently, their hearing aids were left at home, because these guys are really, really loud. Hey! Get a clue. It's a library!

2. The mobile phones. Okay, I'm not a mobile phone Nazi. They are a convenience, and a pretty darned good one. But if my mobile phone buzzes at the library, I go elsewhere to return the call. Yet, this forty-something woman two tables away from me not only took the call but sat at her work table yakking away until I gave her the hairy eyeball--and I have honed that to a fine skill after 14 years of parenting.

3. Speaking of mobile phones, there was a guy not ten feet away from me in a comfortable chair, idly reading a magazine. He picked up his mobile phone and (Quite loudly, I might add) called somebody. He said, "Hi, Chris. Are you at the house already? Can you get in? Oh. Well, I'm kind of running late, so I'll be there in about 20 minutes. Can you wait? Okay. Good." Then what does he do? HE GOES BACK TO READING THE MAGAZINE AND LEAVES FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER. First he lied about running late, then he let poor Chris cool his heels while he read a magazine fifteen more minutes.

What's the deal? Let's make a game of it, and describe the inconsiderate people you've encountered today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
You know, most days I can oblige but not today. Of course I haven't left the house yet, lol.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
ok, I was walking down the hall, that is two people wide, and two women are talking while walking towards me side by side...no room for me...so I had to turn to the side to let them pass....and I made a big thing out of it...so they got the message....

On the way to work, I'm at a stop light, the light turns green, the traffic goes...I've got my left turn signal on....the guy across me, is turning right, he has right of way...he's on the cell phone...taking his good ol time...I get stuck in the middle of traffic, because he cannot turn fast and talk at the same time...

Oh, I'm going into wawa for coffee....3 young men are coming out...
Now, does everyone know which is the in door and which is the out door...there is no such thing any more...so, they all burst out my door, the right side, instead of staying to the left...????

What is going on....your right...no sense of consideration....

Now if you will excuse me, the cops are here, I gotta go, seems there's a problem...since I smacked all these people upside the head....

Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
To avoid holding the door (too many people, especially women, believe it's a God -given right to have the doors held for them), I sneak behind people ....
and beware then if they don't hold MY door! rolf

Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
Here I am minding my own business checking out C-D when I come across a thread where someone is complaining about the lack of basic freaking courtesy!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
how about this one...
a couple of weeks ago my neighbor sees me outside with my son around 10am. she asks if i would mind watching her 3 while she ran an errand, it would take a couple of hours and i could refuse if i wasnt available.
no problem i said. they can a few minutes later--one of them is 1 yr old and i have a 2 yr old, plus her 8 and 5 yr old. they stayed for lunch etc. the mother came back at 4pm! and then she did not leave! she stayed until 5!
6.5 hours of my day not being able to do anything exept watch all the kids. could not even leave the room....
if she had told me it was an all day thing that is one thing and i could have refused! but no. and by the way--i got nothing for my time, i shelled out for lunch etc.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
today: Cubs fans on the train. just, if you haven't experienced it, you don't even know. (they're worse on the bus, because they usually can't possibly phathom that a. some people on the bus are just trying to get home from work and b. omg why is this bus going so slow we're going to be late oh no!!)

yesterday: this woman was defending the seat next to her on the bus as if her life depended upon it. seriously. it was the ONLY empty seat on a packed bus. she even shoved her elbow in some little kids' faces. then she got off somewhere in Uptown ('hood with the highest concentration of mental health/halfway houses in Chicago), so I figured she just had some mental problems, but jeez was that obnoxious.

to the OP: I can not STAND people being loud and obnoxious in the library. that's supposed to be one of the few places where you can get a little peace and quiet but some people just don't get it.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Okay. I'm a writer. I spend large amounts of time in the library (In fact, that's where I am right now). I'm not some decrepit old fart who reminisces about the Good Old Days of etiquette. At the same time, I'm sitting here wondering how so many people can be so inconsiderate of others. Here, from my humble little library table, are some of the things I've observed in the past 15 minutes.

1. The gaggle of little old men over in the periodicals corners who treat the library as if it is a coffee shop. Evidently, their hearing aids were left at home, because these guys are really, really loud. Hey! Get a clue. It's a library!

2. The mobile phones. Okay, I'm not a mobile phone Nazi. They are a convenience, and a pretty darned good one. But if my mobile phone buzzes at the library, I go elsewhere to return the call. Yet, this forty-something woman two tables away from me not only took the call but sat at her work table yakking away until I gave her the hairy eyeball--and I have honed that to a fine skill after 14 years of parenting.

3. Speaking of mobile phones, there was a guy not ten feet away from me in a comfortable chair, idly reading a magazine. He picked up his mobile phone and (Quite loudly, I might add) called somebody. He said, "Hi, Chris. Are you at the house already? Can you get in? Oh. Well, I'm kind of running late, so I'll be there in about 20 minutes. Can you wait? Okay. Good." Then what does he do? HE GOES BACK TO READING THE MAGAZINE AND LEAVES FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER. First he lied about running late, then he let poor Chris cool his heels while he read a magazine fifteen more minutes.

What's the deal? Let's make a game of it, and describe the inconsiderate people you've encountered today.
I've been misled. I came here to see if I could learn more about how to "freak with etiquette." Very disappointing.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I've been misled. I came here to see if I could learn more about how to "freak with etiquette." Very disappointing.
Oh. Well here you go:

First, always ask, "May I put it here, please?"

Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Hey, I can relate! I'm a writer (part time, sold some of my stuff) and I like to get out of the house to write sometimes. Of course the library is my fav place and is ruined by what you already noted.

I have Bose headphones that work pretty good, but those orange shooting ear plugs are truly a god send. They block ALL NOISE including those arsehole phone users.

Anyway, I want to share my dream invention. This product MUST BE DEVELOPED IMMEDIATELY FOR THE GOOD OF ALL MANKIND. Here it is: A recording device that will pick up the voice of the annoying phone talker then (with a 3 second delay) broadcast it back to the arse about 10 times louder than he is speaking. Can you imagine their shock?!!! Oh, God in heaven, someone please make this device.

I'm actually thinking of buying the device that turns off all cell phones within a 20 ft radius. It's about $400 and will give me SUCH JOY!!!! I hate inconsiderate people.

Ah....that felt good to share my dream. I also always attract psychos at the library that feel the need to sit next to me even though there are 3,000 vacant seats, empty tables. They always want to sit by ME. I've had this problem since I was a small child. I draw the odd to myself, like flies to honey. I try to be kind, but I really just want to be left alone to write.

Try the earplugs, they are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships