Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:49 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,872,704 times

Advertisements

When I was in high school, girls looked at me and said I must be cool if I want to hang with them. I decided to bury it and not change with stuck up animals like this. High school girls are the worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:20 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,635,687 times
I'm reminded of an old Taoist joke...

Taoist monk goes up to a hot dog vendor and says

"Make me One with everything"

The vendor does so and hands him the dog as the monk hands him a $10 bill.

When no change seems to be coming back, the monk asks

"Where's my change?"

To which the vendor replies

"True change comes from within"

Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'm reminded of an old Taoist joke...

Taoist monk goes up to a hot dog vendor and says

"Make me One with everything"

The vendor does so and hands him the dog as the monk hands him a $10 bill.

When no change seems to be coming back, the monk asks

"Where's my change?"

To which the vendor replies

"True change comes from within"
I've got one.

Rene Descartes walks into a McDonalds. The counter person greets him, asking, "May I take your order, please?"

Descartes looks at the menu board and says, "Yes. I'll have a Big Mac, an apple pie, and a large Sprite."

The counter person asks, "Would you like fries with that?"

Descartes pauses for a moments, replies, "I think not," and disappears.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,635,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I've got one.

Rene Descartes walks into a McDonalds. The counter person greets him, asking, "May I take your order, please?"

Descartes looks at the menu board and says, "Yes. I'll have a Big Mac, an apple pie, and a large Sprite."

The counter person asks, "Would you like fries with that?"

Descartes pauses for a moments, replies, "I think not," and disappears.
Ooooh...

Since we're on the subject...

A philosopher once had the following dream...

First Aristotle appeared, and the philosopher said to him, "Could you give me a fifteen-minute capsule sketch of your entire philosophy?" To the philosopher's surprise, Aristotle gave him an excellent exposition in which he compressed an enormous amount of material into a mere fifteen minutes. But then the philosopher raised a certain objection which Aristotle couldn't answer. Confounded, Aristotle disappeared.

Then Plato appeared. The same thing happened again, and the philosophers' objection to Plato was the same as his objection to Aristotle. Plato also couldn't answer it and disappeared.

Then all the famous philosophers of history appeared one-by-one and our philosopher refuted every one with the same objection.

After the last philosopher vanished, our philosopher said to himself, "I know I'm asleep and dreaming all this. Yet I've found a universal refutation for all philosophical systems! Tomorrow when I wake up, I will probably have forgotten it, and the world will really miss something!" With an iron effort, the philosopher forced himself to wake up, rush over to his desk, and write down his universal refutation. Then he jumped back into bed with a sigh of relief.

The next morning when he awoke, he went over to the desk to see what he had written.

It was, "That's what you say."

Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
There is a saying I heard somewhere:

Women marry a man thinking that he will change, and he doesn't.
Men marry a woman thinking she won't change, and she does.

Its mostly a joke, but there is some truth to it . In reality, no one can force another person to change. Might a man make a change, of his own volition, because he feels he's met the one or something - sure. BUT I tend to think these will be more lifestyle changes (e.g., going from ladies' man to monogamy as mentioned above) rather than fundamental personality changes.
It's not a joke at all.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 PM

271 posts, read 1,061,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
We CAN be smarter and slier and coyish, though... and I'm convinced a lot can be achieved. It is true that more flies are caught with honey than with vinegar. I've seen such talented women who essentially quietly get their way and admire them. However, who wants to be an actress on a daily basis... I'm not sure I can do it. Not even sure if I WANT to do it... Ideally, you'd wanna be with somebody you don't feel the need to change in any way or the things not to your liking are minor and acceptable. Yet to happen to me.

It's called knowing how to "WORK YOUR MAN", and yeap that's me, i have achieved wonders with my man..........but for me it's all about the way i communicate things with him, and it always gets me want i want.

I don't want to change my man pursae, he is your typical Macho Man, which is what attracted me to him in the first place...........but even the extremist macho man can be pursuaded to see things the way you want him to. My man is the king of my castle, yes he is.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochick View Post
It's called knowing how to "WORK YOUR MAN", and yeap that's me, i have achieved wonders with my man..........but for me it's all about the way i communicate things with him, and it always gets me want i want.

I don't want to change my man pursae, he is your typical Macho Man, which is what attracted me to him in the first place...........but even the extremist macho man can be pursuaded to see things the way you want him to. My man is the king of my castle, yes he is.
So, he's the head of the household and you're the neck! Good work!

As I said before, wish somebody taught me those valuable lessons on time, but I didn't have such luck. Besides, it is a matter of personality more or less. This approach wasn't practiced in my immediate family, there were no books on the subject... Yes, I've witnessed some women acting like you in my formative years, but Mom frowned upon them... Did she have a really happy marriage? No... Come to think of it, my Grandma was like that, but I was way too young to watch her interaction with Grandpa. Only got to see the living hell she created for us after moving in with us when he passed away. All the techniques she used to use on Grandpa obviously didn't fly very well when applied to a daughter-in-law.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 PM

271 posts, read 1,061,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
So, he's the head of the household and you're the neck! Good work!

As I said before, wish somebody taught me those valuable lessons on time, but I didn't have such luck. Besides, it is a matter of personality more or less. This approach wasn't practiced in my immediate family, there were no books on the subject... Yes, I've witnessed some women acting like you in my formative years, but Mom frowned upon them... Did she have a really happy marriage? No... Come to think of it, my Grandma was like that, but I was way too young to watch her interaction with Grandpa. Only got to see the living hell she created for us after moving in with us when he passed away. All the techniques she used to use on Grandpa obviously didn't fly very well when applied to a daughter-in-law.

I hear you girl, i learned from the best MY MOM, who i can say was happily married for 44yrs to an extreme Italian/ Argentinian macho man, who treated my mom like a queen and in turn my mom respected his place in the house as the man of the house. My parents weren't the affectionate in front of people type but everyone that knew them saw the love between them and there was mutual respect. I was fortunate to grow up in a happy home and all i want is the same in my home, i can say i ended up with a man just like my dad and you know, i'm happy with that.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochick View Post
I hear you girl, i learned from the best MY MOM, who i can say was happily married for 44yrs to an extreme Italian/ Argentinian macho man, who treated my mom like a queen and in turn my mom respected his place in the house as the man of the house. My parents weren't the affectionate in front of people type but everyone that knew them saw the love between them and there was mutual respect. I was fortunate to grow up in a happy home and all i want is the same in my home, i can say i ended up with a man just like my dad and you know, i'm happy with that.
You're lucky! It seems like most of us do repeat the pattern established in our original families.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,654,469 times
People are pretty much who they are going to be. Most people make very few changes in their lives.
My dad just told me a joke
It is hard for women to find a good husband, they are like parking spaces
The good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped (and I'm talking emotionally)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships