Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:50 PM

233 posts, read 827,480 times

Advertisements

I've read quite a bit about the "Mommy Wars" going on with upper middle class women who can afford to work high powered jobs or stay home with their kids.

My question is: if you can choose between building your career so that you'd someday be VERY successful (C-level executive) and making millions a year, or stay home with your young ones in the early years of their lives, which would you choose?

Let's say that if you stay home with your young ones, then employers would see you as someone not committed to your career and wouldn't ever promote you to the top and that your husband makes enough money so that you can afford to stay home and take care of the kids comfortably, with a housekeeper to do all the menial chores and you just focus on the kid(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 12:21 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
I would stay home with my kids, which I do. I can only speak from personal experience, but I hated that my mom had to work when I was growing up. I wanted her to stay home with us more than anything.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:27 AM

233 posts, read 827,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Content_Christian View Post
I would stay home with my kids, which I do. I can only speak from personal experience, but I hated that my mom had to work when I was growing up. I wanted her to stay home with us more than anything.
Awww... I'm sorry you felt that way. That's what I'm afraid of: my kids resenting me for choosing work over them.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
My choice would be to have just one job: raising my children.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:01 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
I've read quite a bit about the "Mommy Wars" going on with upper middle class women who can afford to work high powered jobs or stay home with their kids.

My question is: if you can choose between building your career so that you'd someday be VERY successful (C-level executive) and making millions a year, or stay home with your young ones in the early years of their lives, which would you choose?

Let's say that if you stay home with your young ones, then employers would see you as someone not committed to your career and wouldn't ever promote you to the top and that your husband makes enough money so that you can afford to stay home and take care of the kids comfortably, with a housekeeper to do all the menial chores and you just focus on the kid(s).

I would stay home with my kids, without a housekeeper...and consider that my success...when my kids got older, we'd all participate in the menial chores...I think it's important to teach kids to take care of themselves...to work for what they want....and when they went to school full time, I'd probably then, pursue a career of some kind, but nothing that would take me away for long periods of time...

I've done it both ways, and to me, staying home was more rewarding...even if we struggled a bit and did without...the times when I worked, I felt very guilty.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
Awww... I'm sorry you felt that way. That's what I'm afraid of: my kids resenting me for choosing work over them.
Ellen, I think if you kept the communication going and open about why your working with the kids, it might help? Just throwing my 2 cents out there....

But I tell you true, I did hate going to work and he hated me doing so...but seemed to understand...guess he really had no choice...

If I had it to do all over again, today, I would stay home....but that's me.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I've truely never understood why people have kids if they plan to let somebody else raise them
Just let those somebody elses have them
To me it's just a symptom of "I want what I want regardless" and treats children as if they are just some kind of possession, like the home theater

Old 07-19-2008, 06:30 AM

106 posts, read 307,213 times
My Mom worked and I never felt unloved or tossed to the side. When my siblings were growing up and before I turned 3 my Mom was a SAHM and we also had a housekeeper, after that time my parents divorced and my Mom went to work and we had a housekeeper/nanny who took care of us between the hours of 3-6 when school/preschool was over and when she came home. I don't see it as a big deal and growing up all of my friends' Moms worked.

Conversely I have a friend whose Mom is a SAHM and she is entirely disrespectful towards her mother, calls her dumb/ditzy and I can't help but think that that is a manifestation of her disrespect towards the role of SAHM. Its as if she thinks if her Mom were smart she would have worked its sad really.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post

Conversely I have a friend whose Mom is a SAHM and she is entirely disrespectful towards her mother, calls her dumb/ditzy and I can't help but think that that is a manifestation of her disrespect towards the role of SAHM. Its as if she thinks if her Mom were smart she would have worked its sad really.

why don't you ask her...you might wake her up to how awful she sounds and get some feedback from her, that might spark some very good advice from you?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:39 AM

106 posts, read 307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
why don't you ask her...you might wake her up to how awful she sounds and get some feedback from her, that might spark some very good advice from you?
I may just do that the next time she makes a comment. I do know another friend told her she was rude towards her Mom and she got mad and said "you don't understand our family dynamic, we all do it including my Dad and Mom doesn't mind". However I have personally heard have seen her Mom's face fall during one of these episodes and it is really uncomfortable to witness.

Oh I should also add I don't think there should be Mommy wars, I think women should do what's right for them and their kids. For some that's a Mom that stays at home for others that's a Mom who builds her career. Trust me there is nothing worse for a child than a resentful Mommy who feels trapped at home with kids. Conversely its equally terrible for a Mommy who is at work feeling guilty. Do what is right for you and your family and don't be so judgemental about the choices others have made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships