Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
yugh, he has the face of an old man..
Artsy, you'll never get those things... don't even try...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 AM

16 posts, read 67,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Loving someone and having a sexual attraction for someone is two different things.

Beauty is very subjective. Thank goodness we all have different tastes.
I agree with you.

Beauty and our aesthetics are definitely something that is subjective. However I do think most people respond well (or better) to a face that is asymmetrical, balanced, clean, youthful and exudes pleasant vibe, despite the culture, race, shape, skin tone and preference. Most people are drawn to babies' smiling faces because they are harmless, non-threaten, easy-on-the-eye and mostly very pleasant. People, regardless their natural facial attributes or body types, who carry themselves in a confident, polished, healthy and sincere way tend to have better opportunities in job interviews, dating and social settings because GENERALLY we feel people like these know how to take care of themselves, seem no-nonsense and can "get on the program" (so to speak) faster, more tactful and without drama. That alone to me is a sort of beauty in itself because at this day and age the seemingly mature emotional intelligence, on top of the exterior beauty/appearance, can get you far.

The media or people around you might keep selling you the "popular" type of beauty, or you see from the most random bars some kinds of the girls get picked up the most, but overall, once you hit a certain age or develop your own independent thinking pattern, you would know that the "popular" or more genetic kind of looks definitely have their market and demographic but you don't need to subscribe to them at all, and that's the beauty of the modern society.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:53 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,693 times
Fine, substitute Angelina Jolie for Pamela Anderson. But regardless, men do have a pretty much universal view of what is considered beautiful. Again...if they did not, then playboy and penthouse would not exist because no one could agree on what they wanted to look at :0

Also men by nature crave variety.

That is a huge problem. If you find a faithful man, hold onto him for all you are worth. And I'd hit the gym a couple times a day.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Fine, substitute Angelina Jolie for Pamela Anderson. But regardless, men do have a pretty much universal view of what is considered beautiful. Again...if they did not, then playboy and penthouse would not exist because no one could agree on what they wanted to look at :0
I don't think the circulation numbers of those magazines would support saying "pretty much universal". They have a demographic like any other magazine - off-hand, I'd say the 18-34-year-old single male market.

That leaves a LOT of us out.

Quote:
Can't speak for them all, but personally I agree.

Quote:
That is a huge problem. If you find a faithful man, hold onto him for all you are worth. And I'd hit the gym a couple times a day.
But what if he likes BBW's?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Yeah, I'm female. I like Dennis Hopper.. and he's old and plays psychos all the time and while I guess he was good looking back in the day... now? Not really. And I'm not even straight! Oh, and Geoffery Rush, Gary Oldman. Odd, I know.
OMG I love Gary Oldman.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,405 times
I don't think beauty is entirely subjective.

I read a study several years ago where they attempted to quantify what people from different cultures and in different times saw as beautiful. They narrowed it down to a few characteristics, some of which were clarity, symmetry, and balance.

We all seem to agree when a dog or cat is attractive or unattractive, and even a rock can be considered pretty or ordinary. I think, to some degree, there are certain combinations of features that please our eyes and our brains.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
sadly beauty and youth are commodities very exchangable and marketable.
when we don't have the currency we can't do much wheeling and dealing.
older people get hit the hardest. cash does not offset the primary currency
looks and youth.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
Is Beauty really subjective. No not really. I think there are basic standards that define beauty and although it might not fall into our "type" or favorite we could probably all closely agree on what traits are attractive. I think some people "mostly men" confuse perversions with actual beauty, if they are turned on by it then its beautiful...lol

Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post

well yes in general men want variety.But if a man has a woman that turns him on and specially if he is in love cheating is doubtful.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
well yes in general men want variety.But if a man has a woman that turns him on and specially if he is in love cheating is doubtful.
I respectfully disagree. A mans penis is not connected to his heart nor his brain. A man can be madly, deeply in love and very turned on by his significant other and if the circumstances are right (mostly, he thinks he won't get caught), he will cheat on her. It's not a judgment call. It doesn't make men slime or bad or evil. It is just how they are put together. To a man there is no connection whatsoever between love and sex. There would never have been prostitution if this were not the case.

The problem that a lot of women have is that they do not understand this and when their husband is unfaithful they feel "betrayed". Back, 100 years ago when prostitution was not only legal but accepted, married women were often happy to have their husbands take care of their physical needs elsewhere and leave them the heck alone. Men did not have to "cheat" back then, they could simply buy what they wanted. Unfortunately, due to the very awful spectre of venereal disease looming around every corner (and no cure at the time), laws were enacted.

The best thing this country could do (especially now that there are cures) is legalize it again. Before everybody jumps on the AIDS bandwagon here, please keep in mind that statistically, the transmission rate of HIV from female to male is less than .3 pecent, so the odds of this happening (especially if a condom is used), is virtually non-existent.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships